• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Employee or Contractor? Choose Now!

Today, I choose to be a(n)

• Bunny Rabbit, because I don't care.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Maven

Please vote in the Poll. How to be paid and classified? If you were given the choice today, what would it be? Not every driver agrees. There are pros and cons on both sides.

EMPLOYEE PROS
  • Minimum wage guaranteed, every day, even when slow.
  • Get standard benefits and protections mandated by the government including health insurance coverage, which cost the employer about $6000 per year per employee. Add another $6000 a year for unemployment, overtime, paid vacation, sick leave, and other fringe benefits.
  • Pay half the tax (social security and Medicaid) that self-employeed people must.
  • Not required to prepare, file, and pay quarterly taxes.
  • Do not need to track mileage and other expenses to use when doing my taxes.
  • Uber already treats me like an employee in many ways, exercising supervision, direction and control over key aspects of the services like setting prices and a mandatory wait time at pickups.
  • Uber will already deactivate me if I do not maintain their minimum standards of conduct including what kind of car I can drive.
  • Uber guarantees used to be $35 -$50/hr. Raising rates even a little would cover any additional "employee related" expenses.
  • I'd get more respect from Uber as an employee (IMHO not!).
  • Uber would be forced to retrain drivers before replacement by self-driving (autonomous) cars.
CONTRACTOR PROS
  • Set my own hours. Schedule not set by "the boss".
  • Wear whatever I like on the job. No dress code or uniforms.
  • I have the right to choose which jobs I accept (or not).
  • Can deduct mileage and other expenses when calculating my taxes.
  • Can sub-contract other drivers.
  • Not required to fill out W4, I-9, or similar government paperwork.
  • Can work a 2nd or 3rd job without complaints from the boss that I'm not giving 100%.
  • Minorities have the same chance to succeed as white males.
  • Jobs for those with Misdemeanor and Non-violent Felony convictions.
  • There is no guarantee that a particular driver would be hired as an Uber employee.
  • Uber threatens that Ridesharing cannot survive if forced to convert ICs to employees.
Related Threads
Uber will never reclassify independent contractors as employees, unless forced.
Ultimately, the employee/IC question will likely be decided by the courts and politicians.

Please reply if I missed anything or made errors.

Last edited:

Fubernuber

Everyone will chose to be contractor but contractors we are not. A contractor has full visibility into the job involved

Atom guy

Everyone will chose to be contractor but contractors we are not. A contractor has full visibility into the job involved
And that is a major sticking point. At this point we are denied both the pick up address AND the drop off address before we accept the ride. What independent contractor agrees to work without knowing the terms?

Fubernuber

And that is a major sticking point. At this point we are denied both the pick up address AND the drop off address before we accept the ride. What independent contractor agrees to work without knowing the terms?
Few more lawsuits and they will eventually disclose all pertinent information.

Safe_Driver_4_U

you agreed to "not to know" that is clearly part of the terms of the agreement. Why do these drivers agree to terms, then whine about what they willfully agreed to? I hope these drivers wake up and stop pushing for employee status, I do not want a bunch of strangers interfering with the IC concept that I like. It's none of their business if I work as an IC, who are they to use the force of government to destroy my contract?

Maven

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
you agreed to "not to know" that is clearly part of the terms of the agreement. Why do these drivers agree to terms, then whine about what they willfully agreed to? I hope these drivers wake up and stop pushing for employee status, I do not want a bunch of strangers interfering with the IC concept that I like. It's none of their business if I work as an IC, who are they to use the force of government to destroy my contract?
Not much of a choice, "Agree to our terms or don't work at all." Where is the room for negotiation? It does not exist for the individual except to walk away. Thus, Uber's terrible retention rate. Only a union would have sufficient power to negotiate specific terms.

Safe_Driver_4_U

Not much of a choice, "Agree to our terms or don't work at all." Where is the room for negotiation? It does not exist for the individual except to walk away. Thus, Uber's terrible retention rate. Only a union would have sufficient power to negotiate specific terms.
I say disrupt the business model with a driver owned TNC, much better than a union and no union dark side to deal with. Write into the Corporate Declarations driver protections, make it a not for profit corp so the liability is greatly reduced, make the Board of Directors drivers and operations people employees, return excess revenue back to drivers.

Michael - Cleveland

you agreed to "not to know" that is clearly part of the terms of the agreement.
Honestly, I thought I knew most of the Uber Driver Agreement backwards and forwards and I don't recall anything about that - can you point me the section that says I agreed to "not know" the pick-up and drop off locations?

I say disrupt the business model with a driver owned TNC, much better than a union and no union dark side to deal with.
I'm not convinced. Once a 'driver owned TNC' hires the management and operations team, you've basically got a union.

Last edited:

Trezeo

Governments are pushing for the drivers to be treated as employees, though it seems drivers generally would prefer to be contractors.

Atom guy

Honestly, I thought I knew most of the Uber Driver Agreement backwards and forwards and I don't recall anything about that - can you point me the section that says I agreed to "not know" the pick-up and drop off locations?

I'm not convinced. Once a 'driver owned TNC hires the management and operations team, you've basically got a union.
Agreeing "not to know" is not in there. Uber unilaterally changed the app to hide that information with no need for us to re-sign the contract. They only do that for pay changes.

Some states have passed laws barring drivers from discriminating against the addresses, that would be the only legit reason to hide the info, even if it doesn't work in real life.

Michael - Cleveland

Some states have passed laws barring drivers from discriminating against the addresses...
I am not aware of any state that has done this... any chance that yo know of one? I know that some municipalities that regulate taxis have these kinds of regulations requiring that all dispatched requests be answered - but I'm not aware of any municipality that requires TNC driver to do so.