1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Employee Driver Benefits or something in between

Discussion in 'Toronto' started by UberxGTA, Mar 11, 2017.

1. UberxGTA

UberxGTA Well-Known Member

Flexible work shifts----same as now, PT,FT, Flex time
    Benefits--- to be negotiated, gas/maintainence allowance, TIPS in APP
    Wages---same as now, depending on amount of hours worked
    Taxes---NO POTENTIAL HST hanging over your head
    RESPECT.

AdamS.UBER17 likes this.
  2. Double J

Double J Well-Known Member

Wages need to go up. Current rate is not sustainable.

Redhurricane and AdamS.UBER17 like this.
  3. MUGATS

MUGATS Moderator Moderator

I don't think there is any chance that Uber extends benefits to drivers....

Why? Massive cost

No employer HAS to give benefits at all, so this is separate from the whole contractor/employee issue.

Uber will bend on tips at some point because it will have minimal associated cost.

HST might be collected on your behalf and remitted but they'd only do this once it's a regulation issue with the govt and because they would be able to hold hundreds of millions of dollars each quarter and collect interest before remitting. Essentially it would be extra capital for Uber.

Just my view.

mKat and AdamS.UBER17 like this.
  4. mKat

mKat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I think the HST would be included in the deposits we receive. It would be up to us to remit quarterly or annually.

5. Uberchampion

Uberchampion Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If Uber becomes like a real job 90% of drivers will not be on the road.

A real job means interviews, selective hiring of the best etc.

Hst should be paid by Uber and they should have an understandable dismissal policy. Other than that it is what it is.

6. mKat

mKat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX

HST should be paid by Uber if it ever gets to the point where we're employees (hope not). Otherwise we should do the remitting, so we can claim against the HST collected on what we invest in/spend on running our business.

BTW, I'll stop Uber immediately if we're deemed employees. I have no interest in being an employee.

7. Uberchampion

Uberchampion Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Has anyone figured out if HST is against net or Gross?

8. MUGATS

MUGATS Moderator Moderator

This is the thing...

There's always going to be a disagreement between the full time and part time Uber drivers.

I would guess that the part time drivers far outnumber the full time guys.

Uber isn't my career and I have no desire to "work" for Uber under anything other than the agreement I signed up for.

It's kind of a trade off. The flexibility and business write offs for the lack of Uber control.

Maybe at some point Uber goes to a mixed marketplace of part timers on one deal and employee drivers on another, but it will never just flip unless it is absolutely forced to.

In fact I think if Canada or any other market forced Uber to be "employers" of all their drivers, they would exit that market before they would submit to those rules.

I'm pretty sure it would be gross fare.

That's why Uber credits and deducts the booking fee on your trip statements. So that money looks like you actually collected it.

mKat and Double J like this.
  9. Double J

Double J Well-Known Member

I agree there will always be a disagreement between the ft and pt. The one thing I think needs to be done is ensuring that no matter what day or time you give a ride that the trip compensates enough for minimum wear and tear for double the km and compensation for the time at double minimum rate until something is in place to gaurauntee earnings. (This assumes uber doesn't make changes to their platform)

This is crucial because not making these minimum earnings is what allows uber to exploit the vulnerable while hiding behind the pt's that say it works for them.