• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Emergency phone

Project worth the time and energy?

• Waste of time, there will likely be a bystander

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Risk being cheap, install old recycled smartphone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Got to be prepared, install a cheap burner phone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fireguy50

Has anyone hidden a phone in the vehicle in case your primary phone is stolen?

All phones must dial 911 even without a service contract by FCC law.
https://www.fcc.gov/general/9-1-1-and-e9-1-1-services

So I'm considering mounting one in the trunk. I've got older phones without plans but the batteries wouldn't last. So I'd have to rig an old charger to keep it charged enough that I'm not waiting 5 minutes for it to boot up.

My concern is with how prevalent phones are in society. Is this a futile exercise? Would I have better odds of a bystander calling 911 before I get the back up phone out, turned on and make the call.

Or I could allocate a burner phone that won't feel out about updates if I leave it off the grid for months. Another tax deductible business expense project.
(My vehicle is becoming an Uber prepper car with built in bug out equipment)

Fireguy50

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have two phones.
Burner phone might be the way to go.
Are you using both while driving? Some people like 2 Uber / Lyft or Uber & navigation.
Or is the second phone a back up in the center console or trunk?

tohunt4me

Down here they're taking the car.

They will take the phone just to delay you calling for help

tradedate

Has anyone hidden a phone in the vehicle in case your primary phone is stolen?

All phones must dial 911 even without a service contract by FCC law.
https://www.fcc.gov/general/9-1-1-and-e9-1-1-services

So I'm considering mounting one in the trunk. I've got older phones without plans but the batteries wouldn't last. So I'd have to rig an old charger to keep it charged enough that I'm not waiting 5 minutes for it to boot up.

(My vehicle is becoming an Uber prepper car with built in bug out equipment)
Makes more sense to keep it in the car, IMHO. Fully charge it, power it off and keep it tucked away, within reach from the driver seat. My thinking would be, if you're in an accident, somehow pinned in the car, and don't have your primary phone within reach. The two minutes it takes to power on isn't much longer than the time it would take you to get out the car and get it out the trunk.

Just my opinion.