1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Email from Uber on 2017. Q&A Feb 16th

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by L0new0lf, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Skyhakw2472

Skyhakw2472 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Baby steps indeed. These companies take steps backwards, that is the issue. The number 1 pressing issue is pricing and the companies admit it, but they won't do anything about it. Even doubling rates would still be less than taxis and not have as much surge, and make more money for everyone. Minimum fare should be $20 since way too many trips are so short its not worth the drivers time.

Uber00 likes this.
  2. Canteev

Canteev Active Member

On minimum fare trips--of which there are a lot--it's more like 40%.

3. Canteev

Canteev Active Member

Just last night, after getting off work, I briefly went online and got a ping--I had no intention of taking it. Moreover, it came from an $0.87/mile zone. I was 8 minutes away and looking at the map, there were maybe one or two cars. Not only should pricing always be bumped for bad weather, I contend that it should also be the case for low-demand areas. Any time a driver has to drive more than 10 minutes, the ride should be subjected to a 2x surge. I learned my lesson and have stopped taking any trips more than 7-8 minutes from me in $0.87/mile places, but I know I would think differently if surge pricing were to apply.

4. Skyhakw2472

Driving:
    UberX
    Received an e-mail from Travis last night and he said due to the weather they were suspending surge pricing so that people could get home safely and cheaply. Unfortunately this was seen as discrimination against old man winter and the protests have been ongoing ever since, and they have also asked Travis to step down from the North Pole Association in retaliation and the delete uber hashtag has once again been enforced. LOL

I stayed safe and warm with my girl in front of the fire watching the map go red in areas that were far from me. I had no desire to drive even after the weather stopped. Will only do my 1 or 2 nights a week just to keep me interested.

5. Caspita

Caspita Active Member

I went out for like 90 mins ... no surge (actually only one 1.2x short ride which I made longer with icy roads excuse and passenger agreed)... local roads had a sheet of ice already... 0.87 non-stop requests so ended up taking a couple just for the gas money but too dangerous not even worth it. On my final trip I was my way and I guy came out of an apartment complex too fast for the icy road to allow him to stop .. luckily I was driving really slow and saw him on time and was able to stop otherwise it would have been a guarantied t-bone on pax side with a pax... you could see the fear on the eyes of the other guy trying to stop his car and spinning out of control ending at the middle of the road.. he then made a sign apologizing and my pax also mentioned how lucky we didn't end up in a crash.. then I dropped the guy and went home... definitely not worth to risk it like that.

Uber00 and Lightning1181 like this.

6. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    How do you figure?

7. Skyhakw2472

Driving:
    UberX
    The tolls alone. Since Uber pays $20 and drivers pay less with EZ Pass you could make at least 5-10 on the tolls each trip. I had that one night, back to back Manhattan trips with the tolls alone made more than a couple minimum fare rides.

The caveat is that they don't take you deep into Manhattan. The 2 I had were from Fort Lee to just across the bridge. If you drop at the subway in Manhattan you can circle back around to NJ real fast.

Kevin7889 likes this.
  8. Caspita

Caspita Active Member

I'm curious if you can sit at Hobo, JC, etc with the filter somewhere in Manhattan just for the purpose of playing the toll game.. will that work? If I recall correctly once you drop at the city if you are not back quickly enough the app by it self will put you offline (since not allowed to pick up there) and since you already got a trip with the filter it'll reduce it for the day and you only get two of them. I've been tempted to test this my self but have been lazy to make the trip for that but just asking if someone else has already tried this?

9. ToughTommy

ToughTommy Active Member

So In 5 months it took Jeff to figure out CSR sucks and oh yeah compensation is an afterthought but will keep thinking about it. Another figurehead who is paid to speak to the masses with grand gesture but no meat on the table . It's all about the Benjamin's

10. anteetr

anteetr Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Thats a great start!

I would also add that the meter should start from the second the ride is accepted by the driver and driver no show as well as pax cancel fees after 2 minutes should be subject to the effective surge multiplier.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  11. anteetr

Driving:
    UberXL
    $20 is a little steep, but I think $10 would be fair.

12. Skyhakw2472

Driving:
    UberX
    When the driver takes their time and mileage to get a rider that is going a short distance the steep fare would force the passenger to look elsewhere or compensate the driver enough. Think about what the driver sees out of that fare. If the $ is too steep then increase the base fare to $5 and first 5 miles at $3 per mile and drop after that. Point is there are so many things that Uber and Lyft can do to stop screwing the drivers as much and have less passengers left stranded. We all know that minimum fare passengers are getting lower ratings, thus next time they request a ride they may be at 4.2 which many drivers will pass over leading to longer wait time for passenger. Uber and Lyft creating their own snowball effect.

13. anteetr

Driving:
    UberXL
    If the meter starts upon acceptance by the driver you won't have that problem. The only minimum fare rides would be rides that last 10 minutes or less from acceptance to dropoff.

If you make the minimum fare too high you will nuke demand for the service which will kill surge and seriously lighten every drivers wallet.