Email from Uber concerning tips and my response.

CTCharlie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dont be suprised if someone here emailed uber.

What's that saying about no need for a lid on the crab bucket ? If one trys to get out another will pull it back down.
I would not be suprised if someone here IS UBER. Please understand, I am rather transparent. I have no problem standiing up for what I think is right or what I believe. I will also fight for things to be fixed, things that need change, things to make the riders experience better and things that make the drivers life better. I will also find the best ways to make a profit in this business.

BTW, my wife and my accountant both think I'm nuts for doing this.

D Town

I would not be suprised if someone here IS UBER. Please understand, I am rather transparent. I have no problem standiing up for what I think is right or what I believe. I will also fight for things to be fixed, things that need change, things to make the riders experience better and things that make the drivers life better. I will also find the best ways to make a profit in this business.

BTW, my wife and my accountant both think I'm nuts for doing this.
I agree with you. Problem is its not much of a fight if its one man against a giant like Uber. All they have to do is deactivate you. One person is easily replaceable and forgotten. This is WHY collective action is the ONLY tool we have. I know you said you don't want to use any driver's meetings for that purpose but honestly its the only thing that's going to get their attention and bring change.

ReviTULize

When you use the Uber app, you agree to work at the $hitty rates they set and not have tipping function built in. This will probably get you deactivated. Just agree to NOT WORK at the $hitty rates. I am at a point where I only work when its busy or surging above 2.x
Also, I only do XL unless I'm bored.

CTCharlie

When you use the Uber app, you agree to work at the $hitty rates they set and not have tipping function built in. This will probably get you deactivated. Just agree to NOT WORK at the $hitty rates.
What you are saying is true. When I turn on the App, I agree to their rates and the partner agreement I signed. The partner agreement saus noting about solicitaion or my accepting tips. So any deactivation will be met with an office visit and a "severe discussion". But I will continue to drive and it will be a reduction in my business model.

D Town

What you are saying is true. When I turn on the App, I agree to their rates and the partner agreement I signed. The partner agreement saus noting about solicitaion or my accepting tips. So any deactivation will be met with an office visit and a "severe discussion". But I will continue to drive and it will be a reduction in my business model.
The people you have that discussion with won't have any say over this policy. All your going to do is gripe at someone being paid crap wages like us who have no control over the situation.

CTCharlie

As much as I hate to agree with your wife, she may be on to something here.
My wife is a smart woman and I listen to her alot, but she is not a business person.

This is a business that requires long and non-standard hours. It's a business that creates a lot of wear-and-tear on the body and the physical equipment. It's a business that can be expanded if done properly. But it's also a business model that can fail very quickly if not done properly.

I am still in the less than 4 months group of drivers. I did not have the advantage of the higher rates that were charged back in 2014. I am working on the business model of today, which is still viable at the current rates but could be better if the rates increased. The current business model does not produce a wage. The current business model provides cash flow but at an overall loss which will be used to offset other tax obligations.

They deactivate me, it will only create a larger tax loss which will in-turn benefit me while it will be a loss to them. A slight loss, but none the less a loss.

Uber would lose the income from my efforts:
  • June $250
  • July $450
  • August (To-Date) $450
In the 2 months I have been involved with Uber, I generated $1K of fees for them. A drop in the bucket for them and it would be performed by someone else if I was deactivated. All true. An additional loss for them would be a Pets driver. There are not that many of us and that is only 1 or 2 a month, but it would still mean a drop in service to this area.

Face it. It would not hurt them to drop me. It would not be a significant loss of service in this area. It would not be a significant loss of income for them ($6k/year). But any loss is still a loss and any problems they percieve to have with me are also insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Every day I have 1 or 2 riders saying "this is my first time using this app." or "I have never done this before, how does it work?" and I educate them.

I also get the "how do I tip you through this thing?" and I say, "you can't" and then I explain. Many of them are in the front seat, so they don't see the box or what it says on it.

I give my riders a clean, well maintained and air conditioned vehicle to ride in. I give them my best trip. Yes I make the occasional wromg turn. Yes I do the occasional "oops". It's going to happen with everyone. I open doors for the ladies. I don't offer water or mints or any of the nicities that others may offer. But I have a 4.82 rating with Uber and a 4.81 with Lyft so I can't be doing too much wrong. So with that in mind deactivating me loses them a perfectly good driver and a loss in customer service. THAT would be a major loss to them, though I don't think they would see it that way.

CTCharlie

The current business model does not produce a wage.
Dude, say this out loud a few times until you really hear it. I mean really hear it and understand it.
Your original quote should be:
The current business model does not produce a wage. The current business model provides cash flow but at an overall loss which will be used to offset other tax obligations.

Note my real purpose for this business. Cash flow and tax loss. Both benefits I can use.

I know this is not an income. I have an income. I am trying to shelter it with other write-offs and reduce the tax obligations. With this business, I can take much of the out of pocket costs which would not be personal tax deduxtions and turn them into business deductions. Satelite Radio costs, Cell phone discounts, auto maintenance and maintenance discounts and health insurance are all business benefits I can use that I can't take personally.

I sold my car to my business and created business equity. All things that I can do to reduce my tax footprint in other situations.

So income is not my goal here. If it is yours, you are in the wrong business. You will not make money. You will create cash flow but you will not make money.

Taxi Driver in Arizona

Tax Accountant has no problem with it. As a business, it is a business expense, as well as all of the expended costs are identified as a benefit in the corporate structure.
What do you suppose are the minimum hours worked per week will be for the IRS to consider it a business and not a hobby or even an illegal shelter?

sidewazzz

That would be "pressuring the customer." :smiles: That I won't do. You see that with the Hotel Bell Hops in the movies. Which BTW I tip as well.
Dude don't kid yourself, a box with money in it, a little slot for money to go into and a little guilt trip of a memo for your pax to read. IS BEGGING FOR A TIP. if your so fu UBEr about tips then drive for lyft.