Electric Vehicle [Federal] Incentive $5K Starts May 1, 2019

Kurt Halfyard

Author
I don't know if the Trudeau government is long for this world, but nevertheless his Science Minister (Navdeep Bains) announced today that starting May 1, 2019 there will be a $5000 rebate for NEW vehicles purchased with a battery size >15kWh. (This includes most Pure EVs as well as many PHEVs (and EREVs like the Volt, Pacifica and Outlander.)

Effective May 1, 2019, we will provide an incentive for consumers who buy or lease an eligible ZEV.

There are two levels of incentive:
  • Battery-electric, hydrogen fuel cell, and longer range plug-in hybrid vehicles are eligible for an incentive of $5,000
  • Shorter range plug-in hybrid electric vehicles are eligible for an incentive of $2,500

To be eligible for the Incentives for Zero-Emission Vehicles program, you have to purchase or lease:

• a vehicle with six seats or fewer, where the base model (trim) Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $45,000;
    • higher priced versions (trims) of these vehicles, up to a maximum Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $55,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives;
AND
  • a vehicle with seven seats or greater, where the base model Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $55,000;
    • higher priced versions (trims) of these vehicles, up to a maximum Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $60,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives;

You will still be eligible for the incentive even if delivery, freight and other fees, such as vehicle colour and add-on accessories, push the actual purchase price over these set limits.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/roa...ist-eligible-vehicles-under-izev-program.html

Model YearMakeModelTrimFuel TypeSeating
Capacity
Battery Size equal to or above 15 kWhIncentive for Purchase or 48 month LeaseIncentive for 12 Month LeaseIncentive for 24 Month LeaseIncentive for 36 Month Lease
2018AudiA3 Sportback e-tronProgressiv TechnikPHEV5No$2,500$625$1,250$1,875
2018/
BMWMINICoper Countryman S E ALL4PHEV5No$2,500$625$1,250$1,875
2019ChevroletBoltLT (2LT)
Premier (2LZ)
BEV5Yes$5,000$1,250$2,500$3,750
2019ChevroletVoltLT (2LT)
Premier (2LZ)
PHEV5Yes$5,000$1,250$2,500$3,750
2017/
2018/
ChryslerPacifica HybridTouring
Premium
Platinum
PHEV7Yes$5,000$1,250$2,500$3,750
2018FordFusion EnergiSE Luxury
Titanium
Platinum
PHEV5No$2,500$625$1,250$1,875
2019FordFusion EnergiSEL
Titanium
2018FordFocusElectricBEV5Yes$5,000$1,250$2,500$3,750
2019HondaClarity Plug-in HybridBase
Touring
PHEV5Yes$5,000$1,250$2,500$3,750
2019HyundaiIoniq ElectricPreferred
Ultimate
2019HyundaiIoniq PHEVPreferred
Ultimate
2019HyundaiKona ElectricPreferred UltimateBEV5Yes$5,000$1,250$2,500$3,750
2019HyundaiSonata PHEVUltimatePHEV5No$2,500$625$1,250$1,875
2019KiaNiro PHEVEX Premium
SX
2019KiaNiro EVSX Touring
EX
2017/
2018/
2019/
KiaOptima PHEVEX
EX Premium
2017/
2018/
2019/
KiaSoul EVEV
EX Luxury
EV Sunroof
2020KiaSoul EVEV Premium
Limited
2018/
MitsubishiOutlander PHEVSE-Base
SE Limited Edition
SE Touring
GT
2018/
NissanLeafS
SV
SL
2019NissanLeaf PlusS
SV
SL
2018/
ToyotaPrius PrimeBase
Upgrade
Technology
PHEV4No$2,500$625$1,250$1,875
2019Volkswagene-GolfComfortlineBEV5Yes$5,000$1,250$2,500$3,750
2018/
smartEQ fortwo cabriolet-BEV2Yes$5,000$1,250$2,500$3,750
2018/
smartEQ fortwo coupe-BEV2Yes$5,000$1,250$2,500$3,750
2018smartfortwo electric drive cabriolet-BEV2Yes$5,000$1,250$2,500$3,750
2018smartfortwo electric drive coupe-BEV2Yes$5,000$1,250$2,500$3,750

Kurt Halfyard

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you live in Quebec or British Colombia, the Federal Incentive can be stacked with the provincial Incentive.
Meaning $10,000 (5K Federal + 5K Provincial) in BC
and $13,000 (5K Federal + 8K Provincial) in Quebec

Considering the current cost of gasoline in Vancouver ($1.68/L regular gas) and Montreal ($1.34/L regular gas), why would anyone buy a (NEW) ICE vehicle in those provinces?

racer26

Kurt - its even better for businesses like us.

The 2019 Budget also includes a provision for business write offs of ZEVs to go up to a $55k CCA cap instead of the $30k for gas cars, AND can write off 100% of that CCA in year 1. (and you have to choose between this or the 5k rebate, and the business write off does not seem to be subject to the same silly MSRP caps, as the provided example talks about using it for a ZEV bus fleet worth $1M)

On a ~$55k Model 3 for an Uber driver with 80% business use, and a ~30% marginal tax rate, that works out to a nearly $19k incentive.

Only downside (I think) is when you sell the car, you have to pay tax on the sale price.

Someone should run the numbers and see if this works out better than just taking the 5k rebate and using the 30k CCA cap and normal rules for depreciating it over time.

This has me very excited about potentially trading in my Civic for a $53,700 base SR+ Model 3.

Actionjax

Dam...to think I killed my order because they scrapped my 14K I was going to get. Now it's back. Oh well...Now I need to order my Model Y. Guess their is some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. Hope I can figure out how to buy through Quebec.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
This has me very excited about potentially trading in my Civic for a $53,700 base SR+ Model 3.
The Tesla Model3 is NOT on the list of qualifying vehicles.

Dam...to think I killed my order because they scrapped my 14K I was going to get. Now it's back. Oh well...Now I need to order my Model Y. Guess their is some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. Hope I can figure out how to buy through Quebec.
Neither is the Tesla ModelY

(It seems that the incentive was structured around being just 'under' the MSRP of TESLA, so as to not get the usual right-winger criticism, "That EV Incentive is just used to susidize rich people cars and luxury toys."

racer26

The Tesla Model3 is NOT on the list of qualifying vehicles.

Neither is the Tesla ModelY

(It seems that the incentive was structured around being just 'under' the MSRP of TESLA, so as to not get the usual right-winger criticism, "That EV Incentive is just used to susidize rich people cars and luxury toys."
The business tax write off incentive is not subject to the same list of vehicles, as far as I can tell. Model 3 should qualify for *that*, and that incentive is better for us rideshare drivers anyway.

They used an example to explain it in the 2019 federal budget of a ZEV bus fleet worth $1M.
Post automatically merged:

I'm also fully expecting that Tesla will soon release a canada-only de-contented version of the SR with an MSRP of $44,999 to satisfy the requirements, as they've done with other similar caps in the past in other jurisdictions - remember, SR base is actually only $47k off-menu currently. It's SR+ which is 53,700.

viren007

Aren't hybrids zero emissions?
I ask because I don't see any hybrids on the list only Plug ins

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Hybrids alternate between gas and battery during regular operation. Most PHEV and EREV run 100% on battery before the engine ever turns on. Which means for 97+% of trips the average PHEV/EREV is electrons only. The engine exists as a backup in case you out-drove the battery range.

Hybrids use a really small battery as an assist to increase gas mileage.

viren007

Hybrids are not zero emissions - they have a gas engine that runs any time they're moving and emits carbon...
Plug in also have engine. When I said zero emission I meant no yearly emission test needed lol

Hybrids alternate between gas and battery during regular operation. Most PHEV and EREV run 100% on battery before the engine ever turns on. Which means for 97+% of trips the average PHEV/EREV is electrons only. The engine exists as a backup in case you out-drove the battery range.

Hybrids use a really small battery as an assist to increase gas mileage.
97% trips? Lol

racer26

Plug ins can go places without ever turning over the engine.

What % of your trips can be fully electric depends a lot on your specific circumstances, but once you have a vehicle like that and realize how much cheaper electric miles are vs gas-fired ones, you search out ways to optimize.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Plug in also have engine. When I said zero emission I meant no yearly emission test needed lol
97% trips? Lol
I am sorry for your cluelessness on this issue and this technology.
(Ignorance and smug obstinate attitudes are what prevents this technology from being adopted by the masses. You may want to listen for a minute and learn)

Take Note:

Plug Ins -- Some of them (Chevrolet VOLT, Chrysler PACIFICA-PHEV, some BMW i3 models) are classified as EREV, Extended Range Electric Vehicles, which do not engage the engine while the battery has juice in it. Most people commute with these vehicles and/or do their groceries and errands. Each leg of the commute and each drive would be considered a 'trip' for drivers of these vehicles (you perhaps have confused this, above, with Uber Trips, this is unfortunate and understandable in the context of this forum). If you are regularly plugging in, many owners go months without ever using a drop of gasoline. Hence 97+% trips on electrons. If you out-drive the battery, or the temperature drops below -15C, the engine will come on to either heat up the cabin, or put energy into the battery to keep driving as far as you need to go (thus eliminating the 'range-anxiety' drivers experience being stranded). EREV's are a good compromise-vehicle until battery ranges start bumping into the 1000km range. Full plug ins (Tesla, BOLT, etc.) at the high end of the cost spectrum can get upwards of 500km range currently.

You are correct that the PRIUS never had to do DRIVE-CLEAN, due to being a hybrid, but that is different than the Zero-Emissions tag. The regular PRIUS can never be a zero emissions vehicle (unless it sits in the garage doing nothing), but the VOLT can, if you never exceed it's 100km range between plugging in. For many drivers, this is very possible, even though it might not seem like that to you personally.

I find it tiring beyond believe that someone who has never owned or even driven these vehicles, seems to think they know more than the people who have owned and operated these vehicles for years. Personally, I've owned my Nissan Leaf (EV) for 5 years, and my Chevrolet Volt (EREV) for 2.5 years. I'm a rather data driven person, I keep spreadsheets on not just my ride-share, but also my fuel consumption (Gas vs. Electricity) in the VOLT. I kind of know what I'm talking about on this issue. And yet, you insist proving yourself ignorant in the extreme.

Also this: https://uberpeople.net/threads/this-is-how-an-electric-vehicle-can-work-for-rideshare.290805/

viren007

So eV owners are the Vegans of car world. Good to know.

Just because your car doesn't rev doesn't mean you have to rev your temper here.

I was simply asking a question because when I heard the term "zero emission" I correlated it my hybrid not needing emission tests and still no incentive.

I was trying to learn from you and you saw this moment to demonstrate even though your car doesn't make any noise, you can, albeit on the internet.

Also, nothing against you as an Mod though just as a poster.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Go back and re-read the posts. You were called out for your ignorance, and are now 'name calling' (Vegan, ha!) and even making things up because your ego got (justifiably) bent up a bit.
I am happy to hear you were trying to learn! Don't let it bruise your ego. Take the knowledge and move on.
I didn't 'tee off' in any way, until I saw the mis-information out there.
In all fairness, I do the same to anti-vaxxers.
That doesn't make me vegan (I'm from a family of moose/deer/duck hunters...And I drive an EV).
There is a difference between correction obviously wrong information, and what you assume is, "making noise on the internet."

Next time, just say, "Thanks, I wasn't aware I had food in the corner of my mouth, I appreciate you pointing it out to me, so I don't embarass myself further in polite company." You get the idea.

mikees3

Just because your car doesn't rev doesn't mean you have to rev your temper here.

I was simply asking a question because when I heard the term "zero emission" I correlated it my hybrid not needing emission tests and still no incentive.

I was trying to learn from you and you saw this moment to demonstrate even though your car doesn't make any noise, you can, albeit on the internet.

Im old school one reason I can’t drive a EV ..like my v8 rwd manual funny when pulling up to an EV with my engine rumbling and spinning the tires off the light

Actionjax

No one needs an emission test anymore. That was scrapped. Or did you forget about that.

mikees3

My Tesla could beat every old school V8 off the line.

EVs are not anemic golf carts.
I never said EV aren’t fast off line, I do agree they are but you don’t get the same feel.. no engine/exhaust noise

I would buy a model S as a DD though

viren007

Go back and re-read the posts. You were called out for your ignorance, and are now 'name calling' (Vegan, ha!) and even making things up because your ego got (justifiably) bent up a bit.
I am happy to hear you were trying to learn! Don't let it bruise your ego. Take the knowledge and move on.
I didn't 'tee off' in any way, until I saw the mis-information out there.
In all fairness, I do the same to anti-vaxxers.
That doesn't make me vegan (I'm from a family of moose/deer/duck hunters...And I drive an EV).
There is a difference between correction obviously wrong information, and what you assume is, "making noise on the internet."

Next time, just say, "Thanks, I wasn't aware I had food in the corner of my mouth, I appreciate you pointing it out to me, so I don't embarass myself further in polite company." You get the idea.
You lived your life, the way you wanted to live and now you are shoving your lifestyle down throats of others? Vegans alright.

My car which is a hybrid costs more than Tesla Model 3 with Auto pilot option but I didn't buy it because first reliability, second convenience, third relative depreciation and yes I bought my car brand new.

What ignorance? Asking a question because I wasn't educated on the subject?

Actionjax dude - posted something that I didn't know- did I bite his head off ? I learned something from him.

Every time an EV posts comes up it never ends up being as a learning moment because few radical posters consume all the space about how their decision is morally superior and financially better than all drivers out there.

However, here I go and will do one thing that is rarely seen done on the internet. "I am wrong, you are correct". There you go.

No one needs an emission test anymore. That was scrapped. Or did you forget about that.
Yes, I didn't know that- thanks for sharing.

My Tesla could beat every old school V8 off the line.

EVs are not anemic golf carts.
You didn't buy an EV and went with ICE after your crash right? or am I mistaking you for someone else?