• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Eating While Driving as a Driver

KenLV

Drink? Yes.
Eating? No.
If I'm eating my sandwich when I get a ping, I put it back in the Tupperware before I get to the pickup.

El Janitor

I might sip a drink with a passenger in the car while driving without asking. I won't eat a meal with them in the car at all. However I learned how to eat and drive a long time ago. Look out the windshield while you eat and you're fine.

Solid 5

Another example of the type of people that drive for Uber now.

I won't even take a sip of coffee while I am driving, due to getting flagged by the pax/Uber for something.

Seriously, the guy couldn't have waited 10-15 minutes to slam his grub?

1974toyota

I worked this Friday and Saturday afternoon. But Saturday evening I parked at a 'Park N Ride' and took an Uber into the city to avoid paying for event parking.

On my return trip shortly after midnight - I had a pretty seasoned driver with over 2,500 rides get me. They didn't know I also drove but they asked me if I minded that they ate while they drove. As a driver I was skeptical; but I am also not trying to block them from getting power food in for a long night.

They proceed to eat their food while driving and even spilled their drink IN THEIR OWN car while driving. When they spilled their drink the driver took their eyes off the road and started to drift into another lane.

When we got to the 'Park N Ride' they asked me which car was mine and I just said "That one with the Uber stickers in it".

2,500+ rides and a 4.87 rating.

Would any of you even remotely consider eating while driving? I have snacked while stationary, but never in motion. I wouldn't even dream of it with a passenger. I don't even drink my water while on a ride.
?????????????????????????????? ok pal, you have too much time on your hands,you gave him the OK, leave it at that,jmo

Bubsie

Thank you for the responses everyone. I wasn't expecting this to be so popular.

As I said in the original post, I was skeptical but I wasn't trying to block the guy for getting something in his stomach. I wasn't necessarily judging, I just never considered it. This also wasn't a rural area where you are getting a snack with the slight chance of ride. This was a major city on a Saturday night.

As for what he ate since that seems to have come up - it was a sandwich (sub, hoagie style) and a muffin. The drink he spilled was a fountain drink that went onto him, the console, and the drivers side. It was during this distraction that he began to drift lanes and I had to say something since we were slowing down on an interstate and blindly going into other lanes.

Everyone is entitled to eat. As I mentioned in the original post I've snacked and eaten while out for driving. But never behind the wheel, in motion, with passengers in my car. Especially when there is the full on deli paper in your lap.
When he stared drifting you should have offered to take the wheel for him while he cleaned the drink up. If he's slowing down "please give it more gas or we are going to get rear ended and die in a fireball". This of course assumes you were in front passenger seat.

I see absolutely no problem as a general principle if he asks permission and you agree.

KMANDERSON

Not with a passenger in car !

Now i will say
Getting Hot Food is a garunteed way to get a Ping !
Every Time !
Food goes under seat.
Out of sight !
EVERY time!!!...or getting gas
Or if you have to take a shit.

No eating in front of customers !
Unless
You brought enough for Everyone !
RESOLVED !
You got a lot rues for yourself.At .85 cent a hour they need to be glad someone pick them up.

Hagong

I worked this Friday and Saturday afternoon. But Saturday evening I parked at a 'Park N Ride' and took an Uber into the city to avoid paying for event parking.

On my return trip shortly after midnight - I had a pretty seasoned driver with over 2,500 rides get me. They didn't know I also drove but they asked me if I minded that they ate while they drove. As a driver I was skeptical; but I am also not trying to block them from getting power food in for a long night.

They proceed to eat their food while driving and even spilled their drink IN THEIR OWN car while driving. When they spilled their drink the driver took their eyes off the road and started to drift into another lane.

When we got to the 'Park N Ride' they asked me which car was mine and I just said "That one with the Uber stickers in it".

Would any of you even remotely consider eating while driving? I have snacked while stationary, but never in motion. I wouldn't even dream of it with a passenger. I don't even drink my water while on a ride.
I’d take a sip of bottled water while at a stop light. I’d also have a cough drop, gum or mint while at a stop light. That’s about it

zombieguy

Its interesting that some people have said no eating but drinking is OK when it was drinking that caused him to slow down and drift. It should be no eating ever and no drinking from a fountain drink. You get 1 of those large or extra large fountain drinks that your hand can barely fit around, you lose your grip, spill and swerve. The smell of food will happen even when a pax just came from a restaurant and have their leftovers. Everyone should have vent clip on air fresheners and that will knock out the smell quickly. I get told at least 3 times every time I drive that my car smells really good.

febreeze2.jpg

dave_guy

N

No way

K-pax

I'm always taking sips from my coffee cup. If you want me to drive you to the airport at 3:45 am, you're better off seeing me take sips from my cup rather than the alternative. I always keep my eyes on the road though.

But I would never eat with pax in the car. Furthermore I never eat anything pungent in the car at all. Anything with onions for example. Lose an onion in your car, it will stink something terrible until you find that sucker.
Very much agree with this one. Not about to be eating a meal with pax in the car while driving, but I'm gonna be sipping coffee throughout the shift. I have a covered coffee mug that doesn't spill, and I don't take my eyes off the road for anything.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Coffee/Tea/Water = Good.
Solid Food = Not Good.

(Sometimes, but very rarely, I have some potato chips or cured meats in the car, but they are hidden away in tupperware until PAX have exitted the vehicle. They get hidden back away if I get a ping).

I_Like_Spam

I never ate in the car as a cab driver. However, I saw one of my brother drivers get into his cab with a bucket from the Colonel and a 72 ounce beverage from 7-11.

The driver was well above the 400 pound mark, so of course he was squeezed into one of YC's few Olds Ciera vehicles instead of the full sized Chevy Caprice "bathtub model" cabs.

With all the gas passing going on in that cab, during an age where most passengers smoked during the ride, I am surprised he never had a fire.