East side surging 4.5x Saturday night?

JuJuJu

Did anyone notice the east side surging 4.5x on Saturday night? Because I was in the area, I flipped on my driver app to watch surge go from 3 to 4.5x. Not one call for 20 minutes, then Surge vanished. There were no events at the Fairgrounds, and none at Prairie Meadows. Does anyone know what that was about?

Ducky

In the past week, I happened to be in the middle of 5 surges (most downtown). Only one ping. The surge came, I sit, then the surge disappears after a few minutes.

The surge multiplier AND the heat zones are mostly useless and fake. That's why I NEVER chase the surge and always ignore the heat maps.

If you fire up the Rider app while in a surge area, it actually tells the pax that a surge is supposed to encourage drivers to come online. What a joke, since (1) most drivers never chase the surge, and (2) if offline we have no idea there is a surge.

Willzuber

I also believe that the surge and "hot" areas are usually fake. The Fair is one story. Concerts. But showing hot areas - it's bs. I won't chase them. I was at the Fair and paid 2.2 (if I recall as I had been consuming 27 degree beer) to get home. The place was packed. The line at the taxi stand was 20 deep. I would have thought the surge would be higher but then most of the boneheads standing in line for a taxi have no clue about Uber.

bobper

I believe Uber suppressed the surge for the Iowa State Fair just like they did the concert in St Charles