• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Earn Aditional Money Using LocalDL Ride Share "Advertising" App

LocalDL

Sponsor
LocalDL is an Atlanta-based startup focused on giving your riders a better experience. We've created an iPad app, LocalDL, that you can download today and start earning additional money. I put "Advertising" in quotes because when we surveyed your riders, they put ads pretty low on the list of things they'd like to see. They wanted to be able to explore the area around them, so we put in points of interest. They wanted to play games, so we have placed "Gametime" points of interest linked to trivia games - they have the option to play against other people not in the car!). We have some movie trailers and we do have a few ads. However, the rider can turn off ads at any time.
How do you make money? You download the LocalDL app onto your iPad and place the iPad on the back of the headrest - that's it. As the app shows ads or riders click on a point of interest, you earn points. In the app settings, you'll find a digital "store" where you turn your points into rewards. You'll find a number of rewards, including Visa e-gift cards (they are going live next week). We'd like to hear what kind of rewards you'd like to see. The current plan has 100 points equal at least $10 in rewards and the system limits you to 100 points per day. So in a month of driving, you'd earn $200 - $300 extra. We'd love your feedback on this as well.
Now here comes the ask. We're a lean startup without a lot of money and the advertisers want to have a lot of drivers before they start paying us for ads. That means we won't have a lot of valuable rewards until that cash comes in - probably 2 - 3 months. The points you earn don't expire, so you'll see more valuable rewards once the advertisers kick in. We've spoken with some large brands, like Diageo, and they are very interested in finding ways to engage with your riders.

You can find out more on the web site - www.localdl.com and download the app from the Apple AppStore.
Looking forward to the discussion and making us both a little extra money. Now go out there and download the app!

LocalDL

Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are we going in the right direction with ride share advertisement? What do you think your riders will do with the app? Is $200 - $300 extra per month interesting or worthwhile?

phirenze

Are we going in the right direction with ride share advertisement? What do you think your riders will do with the app? Is $200 - $300 extra per month interesting or worthwhile?
My initial reaction is, no you are not "going in the right direction". Atlanta is not NYC. There really are very few "points of interest". And 2/3's of my passengers are local anyway. There is nothing you are gong to show them they don't already know about. But hey what do I know. Good luck I hope it works for you.

nomad_driver

I just downloaded the app and I guess it's something for the passenger to do, but what prevents the passenger from closing the app and snooping around my ipad?

LocalDL

Sponsor
This is the first version of the app, so we're looking for feedback like yours. We thought that since the driver was in the car, the chances of riders snooping around was pretty low. We could be wrong there and appreciate the feedback. We'll look into having a way to "lock down" the app.

LocalDL

Sponsor
My initial reaction is, no you are not "going in the right direction". Atlanta is not NYC. There really are very few "points of interest". And 2/3's of my passengers are local anyway. There is nothing you are gong to show them they don't already know about. But hey what do I know. Good luck I hope it works for you.
Thanks for the feedback. ATL is not NYC, but ATL does have some pretty neat points of interest. We will be continually changing the points of interest and some of them will be restaurants or bars offering special deals.

steveK2016

I already have 2 lg tablets on my headrest so i may be interested in giving this a try unless your app is only ios right now...

For those that have android tablets, its very easy to set them up in a sort of kiosk mode so they cant snoop on the tablet outside of what you allow them to.

Not sure what ipad users can do.

LocalDL

Sponsor
iPad users can us the Restrictions to prevent people from snooping around on their iPad. Enable Restrictions from General Settings.

App is only iOS now but we're looking for an Android port when things get rolling.

spachick

I like the concept but I doubt I would use the product. I either converse with my pax or let them keep to their own business. I like to think of my car as a refuge for them from the rest of their day. And I don't like anyone else touching my iPad.

LocalDL

Sponsor
I just downloaded the app and I guess it's something for the passenger to do, but what prevents the passenger from closing the app and snooping around my ipad?
iPad users can us the Restrictions to prevent people from snooping around on their iPad. Enable Restrictions from General Settings.
I like the concept but I doubt I would use the product. I either converse with my pax or let them keep to their own business. I like to think of my car as a refuge for them from the rest of their day. And I don't like anyone else touching my iPad.
Understood. That's why we have the ability for them to turn off ads. We've done surveys and people who "keep to their own business" like the idea of having an app that they can use to find ut what's around them, or just goof off with games.
There are two solutions to the having people touch a personal iPad. One is to Enable Restrictions as outlined in another place here in the thread. The other is to lease an iPad for this app. Sprint has leases as low as $12.50 per month. Then no one touches your iPad.

UberNWATL

I agree... Besides I do this to make money, not get points to buy stuff I probably don't need from a catalog. Give me the iPad and pay me $300 a month to hang it in my vehicle and I may be more interested.

LocalDL

Sponsor
I agree... Besides I do this to make money, not get points to buy stuff I probably don't need from a catalog. Give me the iPad and pay me $300 a month to hang it in my vehicle and I may be more interested.
We think the most popular gift in the catalog are Visa eGift cards which are just like money. Seinc ewe can't hand you $300, are you suggesting you register a PayPal account with us and we put the money into your account? We can do that as well. That's why we're asking for your feedback. Thanks.

LocalDL

Sponsor
Who's paying for the data access?
The driver pays for the data. The Sprint offers we've seen have 2 Gigabytes of data a month which should be more than enough based on our testing. We could adjust the type of ads and points of interest in real time to ensure you stay under the limit.

Drebee

LocalDL is an Atlanta-based startup focused on giving your riders a better experience. We've created an iPad app, LocalDL, that you can download today and start earning additional money. I put "Advertising" in quotes because when we surveyed your riders, they put ads pretty low on the list of things they'd like to see. They wanted to be able to explore the area around them, so we put in points of interest. They wanted to play games, so we have placed "Gametime" points of interest linked to trivia games - they have the option to play against other people not in the car!). We have some movie trailers and we do have a few ads. However, the rider can turn off ads at any time.
How do you make money? You download the LocalDL app onto your iPad and place the iPad on the back of the headrest - that's it. As the app shows ads or riders click on a point of interest, you earn points. In the app settings, you'll find a digital "store" where you turn your points into rewards. You'll find a number of rewards, including Visa e-gift cards (they are going live next week). We'd like to hear what kind of rewards you'd like to see. The current plan has 100 points equal at least $10 in rewards and the system limits you to 100 points per day. So in a month of driving, you'd earn $200 - $300 extra. We'd love your feedback on this as well.
Now here comes the ask. We're a lean startup without a lot of money and the advertisers want to have a lot of drivers before they start paying us for ads. That means we won't have a lot of valuable rewards until that cash comes in - probably 2 - 3 months. The points you earn don't expire, so you'll see more valuable rewards once the advertisers kick in. We've spoken with some large brands, like Diageo, and they are very interested in finding ways to engage with your riders.

You can find out more on the web site - www.localdl.com and download the app from the Apple AppStore.
Looking forward to the discussion and making us both a little extra money. Now go out there and download the app!
Can't find it in app store I type in localdl and nothing comes up