• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Early Uber investors call on company to change 'destructive culture.'

REX HAVOC

By Heather Somerville

SAN FRANCISCO, Feb 23 (Reuters) - Early investors in Uber Technologies Inc wrote to the ride-hailing company on Thursday to criticize it for failing to end a toxic culture of harassment.

Mitch and Freada Kapor publicly rebuked the company after former Uber employee Susan Fowler described in a blog how she was sexually harassed by a manager and that human resources and upper management refused to punish the offender and even threatened her with a bad performance review.

"Uber's outsize success in terms of growth of market share, revenues and valuation are impressive, but can never excuse a culture plagued by disrespect, exclusionary cliques, lack of diversity, and tolerance for bullying and harassment of every form," the Kapors wrote in an online letter. (http://bit.ly/2mhV9uC)

The Kapors are the only investors to have publicly commented on the recent allegations against Uber. The couple runs the Oakland-based Kapor Center, which works to promote diversity and inclusion in technology.

"Uber has had countless opportunities to do the right thing ," they wrote. "We feel we have hit a dead end."

Several other Uber investors and board members did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Menlo Ventures, which led Uber's Series B financing in 2011, declined to comment.

Uber did not directly address the Kapors' letter but repeated its commitment to investigate Fowler's claims. Uber has hired former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to lead the investigation alongside attorney Tammy Albarran.

"We will be thorough, impartial and objective, and we are conducting this review with the highest degree of integrity and professionalism," Holder and Albarran said in a statement on Thursday in response to the Kapors' letter.

The Kapors, though, called out conflicts of interest that may hinder the investigation. Holder has been working for Uber since June to dissuade lawmakers from requiring fingerprint background checks for drivers. He will be joined by Uber board member Arianna Huffington and the company's HR chief.

"We are disappointed to see that Uber has selected a team of insiders to investigate its destructive culture and make recommendations for change," they wrote.

The Kapors' letter raised eyebrows in Silicon Valley where investors usually defend their startups.

"I applaud the honesty of the Kapors for commenting on these highly sensitive issues and highlighting the importance of culture in the workplace," said Susan Lucas-Conwell, former CEO of Great Place to Work and adviser to technology companies on diversity and inclusion. "I can't think of when I've see such a statement from an investor of a company such as Uber."

(Reporting by Heather Somerville; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

Read the original article on Reuters. Copyright 2017. Follow Reuters on Twitter.

Ms Stein Fanboy

Bullshit. They been acting towards drivers like a bully noboy says anything. Some wierd woman crues and they ready to denounce it
It's called classism. Whether she's weird or not isn't really important. There's nothing wrong with being weird. There is something a little wrong with being normal, maybe. Thats what Kacsynski says anyways. I saw it in a quote in Strange Fruit's signature.

Bullshit. They been acting towards drivers like a bully noboy says anything. Some wierd woman crues and they ready to denounce it
It's called classism. Only people above certain income levels count as legitimate people. Whether she's weird or not isn't really important. There's nothing wrong with being weird. There is something a little wrong with being normal, maybe. Thats what Kacsynski says anyways. I saw it in a quote in Strange Fruit's signature.

luvgurl22

By Heather Somerville

SAN FRANCISCO, Feb 23 (Reuters) - Early investors in Uber Technologies Inc wrote to the ride-hailing company on Thursday to criticize it for failing to end a toxic culture of harassment.

Mitch and Freada Kapor publicly rebuked the company after former Uber employee Susan Fowler described in a blog how she was sexually harassed by a manager and that human resources and upper management refused to punish the offender and even threatened her with a bad performance review.

"Uber's outsize success in terms of growth of market share, revenues and valuation are impressive, but can never excuse a culture plagued by disrespect, exclusionary cliques, lack of diversity, and tolerance for bullying and harassment of every form," the Kapors wrote in an online letter. (http://bit.ly/2mhV9uC)

The Kapors are the only investors to have publicly commented on the recent allegations against Uber. The couple runs the Oakland-based Kapor Center, which works to promote diversity and inclusion in technology.

"Uber has had countless opportunities to do the right thing ," they wrote. "We feel we have hit a dead end."

Several other Uber investors and board members did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Menlo Ventures, which led Uber's Series B financing in 2011, declined to comment.

Uber did not directly address the Kapors' letter but repeated its commitment to investigate Fowler's claims. Uber has hired former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to lead the investigation alongside attorney Tammy Albarran.

"We will be thorough, impartial and objective, and we are conducting this review with the highest degree of integrity and professionalism," Holder and Albarran said in a statement on Thursday in response to the Kapors' letter.

The Kapors, though, called out conflicts of interest that may hinder the investigation. Holder has been working for Uber since June to dissuade lawmakers from requiring fingerprint background checks for drivers. He will be joined by Uber board member Arianna Huffington and the company's HR chief.

"We are disappointed to see that Uber has selected a team of insiders to investigate its destructive culture and make recommendations for change," they wrote.

The Kapors' letter raised eyebrows in Silicon Valley where investors usually defend their startups.

"I applaud the honesty of the Kapors for commenting on these highly sensitive issues and highlighting the importance of culture in the workplace," said Susan Lucas-Conwell, former CEO of Great Place to Work and adviser to technology companies on diversity and inclusion. "I can't think of when I've see such a statement from an investor of a company such as Uber."

Read the original article on Reuters. Copyright 2017. Follow Reuters on Twitter.
Not to be cold but this has nothing to do with us.When they reprimand them for how they mistreat drivers maybe I will give two f's. I'm just sick of both companies:frown:

Ms Stein Fanboy

Not to be cold but this has nothing to do with us.When they reprimand them for how they mistreat drivers maybe I will give two f's. I'm just sick of both companies:frown:
Some of us are interested in what has nothing to do with us. And while there is a news section, some of us rarely leave he SF section and like when someone posts here instead.
And they don't really mistreat us any more than most low paying employers. Most middle class Americans are happy to have us be mistreated. You don't see them upset about all the other employers, do you. So why would "they" reprimand them for drivers?
& Feminism is for middle class and above females. In the poor world, we're about equal to each other, but not nearly as equal as real people who magazine & blog articles are referring to when they write about people.

Roadster4

"Company's culture" has a "direct impact" on its associates. This rule applies even if the associates are unaware of the impact. For example a company that has a culture of misleading its driver earnings, misclassifing its associates and etc. could very well tolerate a sexual harassment case and even threaten to terminate the employee who has reported the incident. It's a cultural issue and Rotten Culture is what makes a lot of people sick.

Ms Stein Fanboy

"Company's culture" has a "direct impact" on its associates. This rule applies even if the associates are unaware of the impact. For example a company that has a culture of misleading its driver earnings, misclassifing its associates and etc. could very well tolerate a sexual harassment case and even threaten to terminate the employee who has reported the incident. It's a cultural issue and Rotten Culture is what makes a lot of people sick.
Good point. It's strange, cuz you can't point to something specific like mechanical parts. But humans fit their behavior into unseen molds shaped by the leadership in a given context. Corporate environments are a microcosm of that phenomenon. Everything about Uber is so ahole dbag cliché

Uberdancer

It's the tough guy image ... tough talkin' mucho macho super duper Uber drivin' ... ... ... duuuuuuhuhuhhuhuhuuuudes!!!!

Old Smokey

By Heather Somerville

Eff the Kapors, i hope to see them take a big tax write down when this blows up.

luvgurl22

Some of us are interested in what has nothing to do with us. And while there is a news section, some of us rarely leave he SF section and like when someone posts here instead.
And they don't really mistreat us any more than most low paying employers. Most middle class Americans are happy to have us be mistreated. You don't see them upset about all the other employers, do you. So why would "they" reprimand them for drivers?
& Feminism is for middle class and above females. In the poor world, we're about equal to each other, but not nearly as equal as real people who magazine & blog articles are referring to when they write about people.
How many times have I reported to them that male pax have made advances towards me or inappropriate comments and gestures? Do you think any of those pax were deactivated? Highest I got an email saying they cared about my safety and would be getting in touch with me (which they never did).Give me a break ok.You can't say one group of people are more important than others and until they start to acknowledge us as "human beings " and not just money making machines I don't really care about their "woes". This is a one sided reprimand and you don't make any kind of sense

See comment for @mssteinfanboy

Roadster4

How many times have I reported to them that male pax have made advances towards me or inappropriate comments and gestures? Do you think any of those pax were deactivated? Highest I got an email saying they cared about my safety and would be getting in touch with me (which they never did).Give me a break ok.You can't say one group of people are more important than others and until they start to acknowledge us as "human beings " and not just money making machines I don't really care about their "woes". This is a one sided reprimand and you don't make any kind of sense
This is so disturbing. It takes courage and bravery to voice these types of incidents . I hope you take these advances as serious as they are and take any and all the legal steps to protect yourself and, potentially, others against any future incidents.

luvgurl22

This is so disturbing. It takes courage and bravery to voice these types of incidents . I hope you take these advances as serious as they are and take any and all the legal steps to protect yourself and others against any future incidents.
I just got smart and got mase and some other "helpful" items in case of any shenanigans because those incidents allowed me to know that "I "and "we" are truly on our own in this gig.

mrwy

See comment for @mssteinfanboy
the people at uber hq work to make guidelines for drivers so the culture at HQ will effect everyone who use thier services in some way.

having a pax advance, make coments or guesters are a complicated thing. i am sure that if a pax had a history of something like this they would be banned. i could be wrong, but i doubt i am. it is highly likely if they only got female drivers there would be enough history to ban but i just dont see that as likely. i would like to hear if someone sees this differently.

if there is an issue that warrents law enforcement i have no doubt uber would support the driver to the degree the law is.

so this part will probably be the most difficult thing to discuss. you dont find many women driving taxies or putting themselves in a situation where they are 1 on 1 in an isolated space with a complete stranger. i get female pax that only take pool just so they arent in the situation with a driver.

just pointing out that uber is also just apart of this mess.

Roadster4

the people at uber hq work to make guidelines for drivers so the culture at HQ will effect everyone who use thier services in some way.

having a pax advance, make coments or guesters are a complicated thing. i am sure that if a pax had a history of something like this they would be banned. i could be wrong, but i doubt i am. it is highly likely if they only got female drivers there would be enough history to ban but i just dont see that as likely. i would like to hear if someone sees this differently.

if there is an issue that warrents law enforcement i have no doubt uber would support the driver to the degree the law is.

so this part will probably be the most difficult thing to discuss. you dont find many women driving taxies or putting themselves in a situation where they are 1 on 1 in an isolated space with a complete stranger. i get female pax that only take pool just so they arent in the situation with a driver.

just pointing out that uber is also just apart of this mess.
Based on company's overall culture I'm very doubtful that this company has been doing what it requires to do in regards to handling sexual harassment. In addition, female engineers at Uber have responded to Kalanick’s addressing of the situation by noting that Uber as a company has systemic problem with sexism embedded into its culture. Uber doesn't know that there should be zero tolerance for these types of matters?

Last edited:

mrwy

Based on company's overall culture I'm very doubtful that this company has been doing what it requires to do in regards to handling sexual harassment. In addition, female engineers at Uber have responded to Kalanick’s addressing of the situation by noting that Uber as a company has systemic problem with sexism embedded into its culture. Uber doesn't know that there should be zero tolerance for these types of matters?

well i think we need to specify what we are talking about.

in general you have one persons word against another and that requires due process.

Roadster4

well i think we need to specify what we are talking about.

in general you have one persons word against another and that requires due process.
Im very much in favor of due process. Please note, "female engineers" at Uber have responded to Kalanick’s addressing of the situation by noting that Uber as a company has systemic problem with sexism embedded into its culture. So it's more than one person. It's a group of engineers currently working at Uber.