• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How far are you willing to drive for a pickup at 5am

• 5 minutes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • 8 minutes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 12 minutes

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 18 minutes

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I take every request

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
Why are all the early morning Lyft requests 15+ minutes away?

I just drove 18 minutes to Tigard thinking I was getting a sweet 40 minute airport trip. It turned out to be a minimum fare (no bonus, no tip) with a customer complaining that three other drivers before me had cancelled them.

30 minutes for $0, after gas, maintenance, insurance, and depreciation. My estimated costs are $6/hr - $8/hr or $60 a day, average speed is 30 mph, average fuel consumption is 35 mpg, my utilization rate is 50%.

To add insult to injury, the next 5+ requests were inner SE and downtown Portland. After declining the distant requests, the app took itself offline.

I Lyft because my daily gross is on average $30 - $50 more than on Uber, and for several weeks I've been rethinking where my allegiances belong.

Uber, here I come!

MedicMan

I just drove 18 minutes to Tigard thinking I was getting a sweet 40 minute airport trip. It turned out to be a minimum fare (no bonus, no tip) with a customer complaining that three other drivers before me had cancelled them.

30 minutes for $0, after gas, maintenance, insurance, and depreciation. My estimated costs are $6/hr - $8/hr or $60 a day, average speed is 30 mph, average fuel consumption is 35 mpg, my utilization rate is 50%.

To add insult to injury, the next 5+ requests were inner SE and downtown Portland. After declining the distant requests, the app took itself offline.

I Lyft because my daily gross is on average $30 - $50 more than on Uber, and for several weeks I've been rethinking where my allegiances belong.

Uber, here I come!
As a general rule don't drive more than a few minutes to pick up a rider. 18 minutes is way to far especially if that is on a freeway. I won't go more than 5 minutes on clear roads. 5 minutes downtown during rush hour isn't bad because it can only be a mile or two away.

Putting miles on your car is the one thing that you don't want to do. It cost you at least $.045 per mile to drive your car and driving 18 miles at freeway speeds means that you will have to make at least $9 just to break even.

The reason that there were 3 other drivers that cancelled before you was because they understood the economics and didn't want to drive that far away to pick someone up. But the real reason is that Lyft doesn't have as many drivers as Uber so Lyft drivers have to driver further to pick folks up.

I quit Lyft 4 months ago. It was all I could do to make any money at all with them.

nouberipo

According to the Ph.D's and economists who determined per mile costs for US car owners using them for business, it is .58 cents per mile. This is what you will use for your tax write-off next year. Many people argue this number is way too high but a.) the government is not in the business of giving money away and 2.) I will trust the professional qualifications of the Ph.Ds and trained economists for their statistically based models over anyone else. Driving for Lyft or Uber are both losing deals. Think about it in simple terms the next time you go out to drive. For every mile you drive the government is allowing you to write-off .58 per mile. Uber, in Cleveland, pays .60 per mile so that is 2 cents per mile I am getting paid plus 12 cents per minute.

Bottom line....Uber/Lyft are taking advantage of everyone who drives for them and counts on them not sitting down and doing the math. As for the long distance pick-ups, anything over 5 minutes for me and I just ignore it which may mean I have to wait quite awhile sometimes but I am not willing to tear up my car so that some millenials in SF can profit off of my misery more than they already do.

Mista T

Author
For every mile you drive the government is allowing you to write-off .58 per mile. Uber, in Cleveland, pays .60 per mile so that is 2 cents per mile I am getting paid plus 12 cents per minute.
Good info, thanks for the heads up!

I guess we are lucky here in PDX. We get .70/mile and .235/min.

Used to be .15/min. When paid for wait time on Uber, we get .25/min. That was a 66% pay jump. But now wait time is nothing special.

Urazi

Uber, here I come!
Lol... buddy never accept longer rides... i learned it the hard way too.. longer pickups are shorter drop offs... dont even bother...otherwise you gonna put up a lot miles on picking up...