• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Dulles (IAD) app arrival issues

3for3

I have issues with the app locking up at the airport. If i pull up to the arrival location at the pick up point the app will not automatically arrive it so i manually swipe "confirm arrival" on my Android but it locks up and wont go "Green"for me to start the trip so i have to sit still and restart my phone so that it releases the freeze up. IMO it looks un professional and aggrevates the pax. Lately i have been hitting the confirm button on approach to p/u terminal so i dont have all the interference and its been working fine but still pain in my ass

bart2puck

You have any tips for getting pings at Dulles? I have sat in all the parking lots I can for numerous hours and have yet to get an arrival ping... How does it work? I know others are successful. I have looked at he rider app and seen no other cars, just me. Does it hurt I'm an x and not xl/suv?

3for3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You have any tips for getting pings at Dulles? I have sat in all the parking lots I can for numerous hours and have yet to get an arrival ping... How does it work? I know others are successful. I have looked at he rider app and seen no other cars, just me. Does it hurt I'm an x and not xl/suv?
You cant sit on the airport property at Dulles anymore. You should go sit off of 28 on Frying Pan rd,Sunrise Valley adjacent to Frying Pan or Centreville Rd near that Wendys or Kohls covered Parking lot which is my fav b/c its covered and i get shade while i wait so i dont sweat my ass off while i wait. The only thing about the Centreville rd exit is that its a very short clearance distance to get all the way to the Left for the airport entrance so beware of other moving vehicles already on toll rd at speed

3for3

So it's not closest Driver wins the ride?
No, not at the airport. Its a que system within the geofenced area around the airport, first in first out if you get a ping while in the geofence and its not an airport trip an you decline it you move to back of the que. Some drivers just sit and wait for airport runs all day, thats lazy

Uberest

You say "you can't sit on airport property anymore" -- do you mean that, if you DO sit on airport property, for example the cell phone lot -- you are excluded from getting any pings?

The only ping I ever received while at Dulles was as I was leaving Dulles, had to turn around.

bart2puck

yea, i am trying to figure this out. I have gotten 1 ping from dulles. this was when i was in ashburn up near ashburn pub. any idea where the geo-fence is?

I have sat on the service road area with no other uber drivers there (according to rider app) and got no pings after 30 minutes...

Uberest

I guess part of this depends on what is meant by "geo fence". For example, it could mean that if you are inside the geo fence, you are excluded from getting any pings. But it could also mean the reverse, that is, if you are inside the geo fence you are queued and will eventually receive a ping. I have tried waiting a couple of times inside the airport at the cell phone lot (I am sure there were other Uber drivers there too including Uber xl, uber black too) but, at the 30 min mark approximately I gave up and left, time is valuable and there are pings to be received elsewhere. We can't all be stupid, right? ooops.....yes we can, we are uber drivers, sorry I momentarily forgot.

One thing that I do not get is why there is not specific direction on this point. I almost don't care what the direction is but I just want to know what is allowed and what is not allowed.

I am still a newbie (coming up on one month) so eventually I will figure this out empirically.

bart2puck

Uberest I agree, I'm 5 weeks old. Whatever the answer is, just tell us....
Hopefully others will chime in ad share what they have learned...

Uberest

I just don't see this in actual experience. I have been in those areas for what I would think would be plenty of time (for example, at Dulles on Sunday late afternoons) and not received a ping.

Emp9

do you think groups of uber like gathering up off frying pan road for a ride? , you cant get a ping inside the dang airport people. it may happen as a glitch from time to time, but the pax cant even see your car . that is what the geo fence is for.

bart2puck

do you think groups of uber like gathering up off frying pan road for a ride? , you cant get a ping inside the dang airport people. it may happen as a glitch from time to time, but the pax cant even see your car . that is what the geo fence is for.
this is what i was looking for.

3for3

You say "you can't sit on airport property anymore" -- do you mean that, if you DO sit on airport property, for example the cell phone lot -- you are excluded from getting any pings?

The only ping I ever received while at Dulles was as I was leaving Dulles, had to turn around.
Thats right, and if WMAA POLICE want to be an ass about it when they catch you on airport property with your app running they will give you a stiff ticket in your ass o thonk its $200.00 b/c Über gave them GOD view. They can see drivers w/ apps running on Airport and it shows your tag # and make model of vehicle so dont be stupid.

Last edited:

3for3

I just don't see this in actual experience. I have been in those areas for what I would think would be plenty of time (for example, at Dulles on Sunday late afternoons) and not received a ping.
Download Flight Status from the app store/ google play and know when the big banks come in so you wont sit all day. Thats the only tip i can give without holding your hand.

Last edited:

JesseJames

I guess part of this depends on what is meant by "geo fence". For example, it could mean that if you are inside the geo fence, you are excluded from getting any pings. But it could also mean the reverse, that is, if you are inside the geo fence you are queued and will eventually receive a ping. I have tried waiting a couple of times inside the airport at the cell phone lot (I am sure there were other Uber drivers there too including Uber xl, uber black too) but, at the 30 min mark approximately I gave up and left, time is valuable and there are pings to be received elsewhere. We can't all be stupid, right? ooops.....yes we can, we are uber drivers, sorry I momentarily forgot.

One thing that I do not get is why there is not specific direction on this point. I almost don't care what the direction is but I just want to know what is allowed and what is not allowed.

I am still a newbie (coming up on one month) so eventually I will figure this out empirically.
I wonder if I'm living inside this "geo fence"few morning's (5:30-6:00) pulling out the driveway I get pinged from IAD