DUI check point in Neptune

JohnnyJets

Had a ewr drop off to Wall and decided to stop by Belmar to check things out. Of course it's dead so I turned on the DF and got a ride within seconds. Rider is headed to Neptune. 2 blocks from my destination and there's the old dui checkpoint..10 cops just hanging out...figured like most DUI checkpoints I just tell them im an Uber dropping off and they let me right through..nope not these jerks..DL, reg, insurance...another cops asks for me to hit the brakes, turn on your signals, and now put it in reverse. He tells out..lights check out..another cop in front asks that I flash the highbeams...now I'm like guys is this a dui checkpoint or a dmv inspection? I'm obviously not drunk and you have no other reason to keep me here so give me my documents back, which they do, and of I went...i guess the summer time wasn't as fruitful as they'd hoped so now they are trying to recuperate funds

DTrainNJ

Dude.... NEVER EVER do those checks. Just say, "no." They can not force you to an examination of your motor vehicle. When officer says, "turn on your high beams" you say, "you're on a fishing expedition. Am I free to go?" I GUARANTEE they won't say another word.

LEO2112

Dude.... NEVER EVER do those checks. Just say, "no." They can not force you to an examination of your motor vehicle. When officer says, "turn on your high beams" you say, "you're on a fishing expedition. Am I free to go?" I GUARANTEE they won't say another word.
CEZpJPrW0AAsUlU.jpg

Dug_M

Right another street lawyer whose gonna tell a police officer what he or she can do at 2am... Quickest way to be asked to get out of your car and started jumping around on one foot or walking a straight line just for fun... I went through that same checkpoint at around 1pm and my experience was and always is a lot different. Saw there were two lanes, 1 with 3 cars the other 1. Waited one car length back until the officer in the empty lane waved me with a flashlight to move to the empty lane. Roll down my window and say "Hi, there" he asked if I'm Uber I say "Yes I just picked up these passengers at Kelly's" Flashes a light in the back and say's "Well make sure everybody's is seat belted, Have a good night..." I also have trade dress (yes I'm not a tough guy I just follow the rules) and have been waved out of a long state police dwi stop and guided around and through without waiting... (of course it was my 3rd time through :smiles: )

JohnnyJets

I
Right another street lawyer whose gonna tell a police officer what he or she can do at 2am... Quickest way to be asked to get out of your car and started jumping around on one foot or walking a straight line just for fun... I went through that same checkpoint at around 1pm and my experience was and always is a lot different. Saw there were two lanes, 1 with 3 cars the other 1. Waited one car length back until the officer in the empty lane waved me with a flashlight to move to the empty lane. Roll down my window and say "Hi, there" he asked if I'm Uber I say "Yes I just picked up these passengers at Kelly's" Flashes a light in the back and say's "Well make sure everybody's is seat belted, Have a good night..." I also have trade dress (yes I'm not a tough guy I just follow the rules) and have been waved out of a long state police dwi stop and guided around and through without waiting... (of course it was my 3rd time through :smiles: )
This was my first where the police didn't wave me right through. Now, I have Florida plates on my car so maybe he was hassling me a bit more thinking I'm from out of state. Dunno, but I complied until i saw it was border line harassment.

Dug_M

I

This was my first where the police didn't wave me right through. Now, I have Florida plates on my car so maybe he was hassling me a bit more thinking I'm from out of state. Dunno, but I complied until i saw it was border line harassment.
Your right about that, all local police know that most traffic tickets from out of state drivers will not be contested... The same with NYC parking tickets if you have Jersey plates...

Lightning1181

The difference between the NJSP checkpoints and the Monmouth County DWI Taskforce checkpoints are night & day. The NJSP recognize us as the good guys and will always flag us through, where the Monmouth County Gestapo seem to derive great pleasure by making Goober/Lyft drivers sweat bullets. We never get any courtesy nor any favoritism from the Gestapo, but then again neither do any other drivers. We are treated to the same style of harassment. I constantly post on our groups private newsfeed about the Gestapo's upcoming events, so our drivers know where & when to avoid such a scene.

mikewithebike

The difference between the NJSP checkpoints and the Monmouth County DWI Taskforce checkpoints are night & day. The NJSP recognize us as the good guys and will always flag us through, where the Monmouth County Gestapo seem to derive great pleasure by making Goober/Lyft drivers sweat bullets. We never get any courtesy nor any favoritism from the Gestapo, but then again neither do any other drivers. We are treated to the same style of harassment. I constantly post on our groups private newsfeed about the Gestapo's upcoming events, so our drivers know where & when to avoid such a scene.
2x I went through a Monmouth County checkpoint. In Shrewsbury on 35 SB and in Sea Bright on Ocean Ave NB. This was before trade dress and both times I was asked where I was going and once I told them I was an Uber driver I was immediately allowed to pass through the checkpoint...

SuzeCB

Troopers are different. It's the counties and munies that are wild cards.

DTrainNJ

This is America. The only OBLIGATION you have to a cop is your license registration and insurance. I don't even open my window wider than my paperwork and there's nothing they can do or say that's going to make me. If a cop beats me up or tries to lock me up for that I'll have my day in court. If I wind up dead it will have been for a good cause. Just the way I am.

LEO2112

This is America. The only OBLIGATION you have to a cop is your license registration and insurance. I don't even open my window wider than my paperwork and there's nothing they can do or say that's going to make me. If a cop beats me up or tries to lock me up for that I'll have my day in court. If I wind up dead it will have been for a good cause. Just the way I am.

IMG_20170718_101247.jpg

freeFromUber

Totally agree...don't do anything they tell you to.....ask them, "am I being detained?" If they say yes (they won't), you say "what crime am I suspected of committing?" You're free to go sir.

Troopers are different. It's the counties and munies that are wild cards.
They're not wild cards, they're jokers!

Last edited:

EyeseeYou612

Cool story bro. So do you also record them with your cellphone like a 20yr old millennial who will then post it on some dumb site like “Cop Block”? Get over yourself. Comply and there won’t be an issue. If you go into it acting like a jerk, expect the same from the cop.

SMH. People today thinking they are all internet lawyers and policing the police. GTFO.

freeFromUber

Cool story bro. So do you also record them with your cellphone like a 20yr old millennial who will then post it on some dumb site like “Cop Block”? Get over yourself. Comply and there won’t be an issue. If you go into it acting like a jerk, expect the same from the cop.

SMH. People today thinking they are all internet lawyers and policing the police. GTFO.
Innocent, law abiding citizens get themselves into trouble every day for one reason......they agreed to talk to cops. No one is advocating "acting like a jerk". Know your rights, provide the required documentation and POLITELY refuse to answer any questions., whether you are guilty of anything or innocent. You have nothing to gain by answering their questions, but you do have a lot to lose. Ever hear of the Miranda warning? Look it up.

DTrainNJ

Innocent, law abiding citizens get themselves into trouble every day for one reason......they agreed to talk to cops. No one is advocating "acting like a jerk". Know your rights, provide the required documentation and POLITELY refuse to answer any questions., whether you are guilty of anything or innocent. You have nothing to gain by answering their questions, but you do have a lot to lose. Ever hear of the Miranda warning? Look it up.

Exactly. They're fishing for a reason to ruin all your profit for the entire night and you're like, "sure, let's see if there's a high beam out." Forget that!

That's exactly what I do... and guess what... the first thing I do when I get a ticket is request THEIR video of the incident. I get it too... because all you gotta do is ask.

Jace

I've gone through two Monmouth DUI checkpoints, Rte 34 Holmdel and DMV Rte 36 Eatontown. Both times asked for my DL, asked if I had any drinks, given a driving safety flyer and sent on my way. PD doing their job. It's an inconvenience for most, a problem if you're not in compliance.

PorkRollUberAndCheese

I gotta be honest. I went through a Task Force check point. He was about to ask for license/reg. He asked where I was going, and I told him I was an Uber on my way to a pickup (pointing at my trade dress). Automatic wave through, didn't even have to show docs.

Post script: first time Uber user in leather pants. Got her home, five dollar tip, right by a Wawa, got a cold milk.