Dude, Where Is My Surge?

Uber_Dubler

Other than curiosity, taking these screen shots was good for nothing. Too many times I've taken similar screenshots AND accepted the ride only only to get face punched by Uber that the surge must have ended and that's why no surge was offered. So this time I decided to decline and see the area's surge heat map looked like after declining. I can't say I'm surprised by the results. The lake area is clearly in surge before and after the trip was offered, but hey.

I could contact Uber and ask why no surge was offered but I already know the responses:

~ If no surge was offered than no surge existed
~ Surges are dynamic so just because you see a surge doesn't mean it really exists
~ If the rider orders an Uber prior to the surge, the surge isn't offered to the driver
~ Update your app/ Android OS/ phone
~ No software is perfect but we try out best at Uber blah blah
Desk Surge.JPG

Ubermcbc

Other than curiosity, taking these screen shots was good for nothing. Too many times I've taken similar screenshots AND accepted the ride only only to get face punched by Uber that the surge must have ended and that's why no surge was offered. So this time I decided to decline and see the area's surge heat map looked like after declining. I can't say I'm surprised by the results. The lake area is clearly in surge before and after the trip was offered, but hey.

I could contact Uber and ask why no surge was offered but I already know the responses:

~ If no surge was offered than no surge existed
~ Surges are dynamic so just because you see a surge doesn't mean it really exists
~ If the rider orders an Uber prior to the surge, the surge isn't offered to the driver
~ Update your app/ Android OS/ phone
~ No software is perfect but we try out best at Uber blah blah View attachment 310443

Guber don't give a damn anymore. Now it has turn into a bully who has gone way out of control. Basically this is there iPO time. Their ultimate goal. Can you do anything about it if they start eating up the whole entire trip of a non surge trip? They already have 100s of excuses to deny the trip that it didn't happen. After so many years of their bullying, I don't count them responsible. It's us, we are suckers who still depends on rideshare income. Rideshare industry, not only reducing the fare but do a lot of other crazy s*** to piss off the drivers on a daily basis and what we are doing in retaliation? We are giving them an impression, "That's it", bring it on, more, more". Basically we deserve it.

Find something else before it's too late.

PlanoGuber

The flat surge dollar indicators go away 15 mins before the colored surge cloud does. Basically deactivating a surge cloud appears to only happen in 15 minute intervals after the flat surge dollar button disappears. Say the surge dollar bubble disappears at 1:16pm, the map may not refresh and remove the cloud till 1:30pm.

Shine98

I think Uber purposely creates this mirage heat map, on and off, real or fake, just to make sure you are frustrated and not even to think about the surge is real or not.

rdhall3637

I've seen this as well and it seems that the app gets hung up now and doesn't refresh and remove the surges properly. When I notice I'm in a surge area but i'm not getting the "$XX on your next trip" note, I know something is wrong. If I restart my phone, it corrects the problem and the surge goes away.

Uber_Dubler

[B]rdhall3637[/B] ... I see that a lot too. Its a convenient way for Uber to both send that psych message that you are / are about to make money and keep you on the road while at the same time knowing that all the promises of "sticky surge" and continuous rides are BS and not likely to come to pass knowing the driver must restart their phone. Oh if I were only as smart as those cool California guys.

TXUbering

I've noticed that when I turn on Uber and stay offline, I'll see the map lit up like Rudolph the Rednose reindeer after hanging out with John Belushi and Darryl Strawberry. As soon as I go online, the red disappears. At this point I don't even bother looking at the surge pricing, that and the "High demand nearby" nor the other stupid carrots that Uber/Lyft dangle in front of me.