Drunk Passenger

Aliiibeey

I'm a new driver and I have 13 ratings so far, most are 5s but I have one 4 and one 3.
I also now have two 1s!

One of the 1 star ratings was from a drunk man. He got in the car and after me driving for 1 minute, he signalled for me to pull over because he needed to vomit.
There was only ONE drive-able lane on our side of the road and it was a very busy road, but I pulled over to let him vomit outside as I didnt want it in my car. Is there anything else I could've done better about it?

I was holding everyone up behind me and people were honking at me, I was feeling stressed, while he was outside for almost 5 minutes vomiting.

When he got back in the car he kept apologising. After like 10 apologies I said it's alright, it's fine.
He still kept apologising and I just said okay.
I was slightly annoyed, but I didn't care that much.

Then he was asking me how long I've been driving uber and if I like it and I answered all of his questions politely, but I wasnt extremely into the conversation.

Then after a while he started asking me if I'm feeling uncomfortable because I'm no very talkative. I said I'm 100% comfortable and fine, as long as he is. He kept asking like 20 times, and each time I said I was absolutely happy and comfortable. To be honest by the 50th time he asked me I was slightly irritated that he kept asking but I didn't tell him that.

I didn't initiate much conversation with him but I politely answered all of his questions. I wasn't even feeling uncomfortable until he kept asking me over and over, am I okay.

Then he started asking me where I am from, and we had an indepth conversation about our nationalities and background. I thought at this point he was feeling happier and comfortable that I was happier.

Then all of a sudden in the middle of our conversation about our cultural background he started saying I seem like a very uptight person as an uber driver and asking if I actually am not comfortable driving my uber job, and I told him again, I don't know what to tell you, I'm completely happy and comfortable and enjoy driving for uber. He wouldn't let it go and kept asking me, literally 15 or more times if I am uncomfortable and if he made me uncomfortable.

I told him to be honest when I had to pull over because of you earlier that was unsafe and it made me uncomfortable as it would make any uber driver and you keep asking me if I am comfortable or not when I already told you I am. I feel like I maybe shouldn't have said that part, but I already told him that I'm happy and comfortable as long as he is many, many times. At that point I didn't know what to do as he was making me repeat myself, yes I'm comfortable, a million times over with the same thing. I told him I'm just trying to be professional and friendly to you.

After he pulled over to vomit I honestly wasn't that irritated at him, I felt fine! It was only after he kept asking me if I'm okay that I was a little upset but even then I didn't say anything else to him.

He was my last ride that day and so I know it was most likely him who gave me the 1 star rating.

I gave him a 1 star, did he deserve it for his behaviour?

Did I deserve a 1 star driving rating in this situation and what could I have done differently here?

NotMe

Do not take each and every low score too seriously. Also to get your score up avoid night driving at least till you become more confident in what you doing.

Hugh G

You didn't mention his rating

Badder things happen at night. You need to establish a protocol AND STICK WITH IT ! EG Dont pick up anyone with a rating under 4.6 after 6pm etc

Events like this will stress you out, he was probably so drunk he didn't realise there was an incident until he saw the spew on his shoes next morning.

Some drivers might even had driven off while he was spewing, gone to a safe distance, cancelled the ride AND report what happened and he made you feel unsafe.

YOUR CAR - YOUR RULES - STICK WITH YOUR RULES !

Aliiibeey

Hugh G, He was using his wife's uber account and her rating was 4.9!
She called me and confirmed it was for her boyfriend

Hugh G

her rating was 4.9

It's not 4.9 now after you rated her 1 star !

You need to write a report to UBER on this trip ASAP, and immediately after every trip when you rate 1 star, to get your version known to UBER.

Check out thread Guess the incident.

Drivers do get suspended for a single unknown incident THAT UBER DOESN'T TELL THEM ABOUT !

Aliiibeey

Wife, boyfriend... Sounds like you're making it up as you go along
I'm not making anything up, I made a mistake with the wording of wife/boyfriend. I think he said it was his wife and I accidentally wrote boyfriend one time.

The wife honestly had a good rating, and in the car he was like sorry, I'm using her account etc.

I've had people use their gf/wives account about 3 times now.

Spotscat

Don't sweat the small stuff, just keep doing the best you can.

We have all encountered the @@@@@@@ passengers who give drivers a 1☆ rating for no reason other than retaliation - you just got yours a little sooner than most!

ShinyAndChrome

Some Drunks are just delightful aren't they? Chalk this all up to just bad odds and you got the ahole drunk. Don't take personally but next time do not hold up traffic.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
I'm a new driver and I have 13 ratings so far, most are 5s but I have one 4 and one 3.
I also now have two 1s!

One of the 1 star ratings was from a drunk man. He got in the car and after me driving for 1 minute, he signalled for me to pull over because he needed to vomit.
There was only ONE drive-able lane on our side of the road and it was a very busy road, but I pulled over to let him vomit outside as I didnt want it in my car. Is there anything else I could've done better about it?

I was holding everyone up behind me and people were honking at me, I was feeling stressed, while he was outside for almost 5 minutes vomiting.

When he got back in the car he kept apologising. After like 10 apologies I said it's alright, it's fine.
He still kept apologising and I just said okay.
I was slightly annoyed, but I didn't care that much.

Then he was asking me how long I've been driving uber and if I like it and I answered all of his questions politely, but I wasnt extremely into the conversation.

Then after a while he started asking me if I'm feeling uncomfortable because I'm no very talkative. I said I'm 100% comfortable and fine, as long as he is. He kept asking like 20 times, and each time I said I was absolutely happy and comfortable. To be honest by the 50th time he asked me I was slightly irritated that he kept asking but I didn't tell him that.

I didn't initiate much conversation with him but I politely answered all of his questions. I wasn't even feeling uncomfortable until he kept asking me over and over, am I okay.

Then he started asking me where I am from, and we had an indepth conversation about our nationalities and background. I thought at this point he was feeling happier and comfortable that I was happier.

Then all of a sudden in the middle of our conversation about our cultural background he started saying I seem like a very uptight person as an uber driver and asking if I actually am not comfortable driving my uber job, and I told him again, I don't know what to tell you, I'm completely happy and comfortable and enjoy driving for uber. He wouldn't let it go and kept asking me, literally 15 or more times if I am uncomfortable and if he made me uncomfortable.

I told him to be honest when I had to pull over because of you earlier that was unsafe and it made me uncomfortable as it would make any uber driver and you keep asking me if I am comfortable or not when I already told you I am. I feel like I maybe shouldn't have said that part, but I already told him that I'm happy and comfortable as long as he is many, many times. At that point I didn't know what to do as he was making me repeat myself, yes I'm comfortable, a million times over with the same thing. I told him I'm just trying to be professional and friendly to you.

After he pulled over to vomit I honestly wasn't that irritated at him, I felt fine! It was only after he kept asking me if I'm okay that I was a little upset but even then I didn't say anything else to him.

He was my last ride that day and so I know it was most likely him who gave me the 1 star rating.

I gave him a 1 star, did he deserve it for his behaviour?

Did I deserve a 1 star driving rating in this situation and what could I have done differently here?
He was drunk. There's nothing you can say or do to rationalize with a drunk. He was just trying to get under your skin. One star his a$$ right back and inform Uber why you did it. That way you won't be paired with him again. Truthfully if you get a pax drunk or not who flat out tells you that you seem to have a problem, report his/her behavior, that there was a problem with this rider, to Uber, and one star them. That way if they try to get a free ride out of Uber by falsly complaining that you are under the influence of something, or reckless in some way, there will be a track record of there being a problem on the ride.

And once again, don't let a pax, drunk or not, bully you in your own car.