Drove Up to Stadium Last Night, Lost Data Service

ItsAConspiracy

Had a pax that I needed to pick up at Sports Authority Field after the game let out and parked right were the pax apparently wanted to be picked up. Waited a few minutes, then sent a text, waited a few minutes more... Tried to cancel as no-show and got a spinning progress wheel. Was thinking WTF... after a few minutes staring at the never-ending progress wheel, tried to access the internet on my phone and got nada. Rebooted the phone (Galaxy S7 BTW)... still no internet. I did have cell service (text / phone) but no data despite LTE showing activity and reception was 4/5 bars.

What I suspect happened was the pax moved to another area, but my app couldnt update location. After leaving the area my phones data connection sprang back to life and Uber was showing that I needed to pick up the same pax that I had tried to cancel as no-show. Realizing this was a technical issue on my part, I cancelled with no charge to pax... Although it would have been nice to get a text back from the pax.

Anyone else experience this? Were cell towers in the area overloaded from the game letting out? Seems unlikely to me. BTW I have AT&T.

arrrghhh

Anyone else experience this? Were cell towers in the area overloaded from the game letting out? Seems unlikely to me. BTW I have AT&T.

Why does that seem unlikely? Sounds like exactly what happened. Cell towers quite often get saturated after games immediately around the stadium...

ItsAConspiracy!!

ItsAConspiracy

It seemed unlikely to me as I have never had this happen. But thats why I am asking... so now it seems less unlikely. Thanks.
Next question: What the heck are we supposed to do when seemingly nobody has usable data connection? In this case I suppose the pax could have text me back, that would have been immensely helpful. Just coordinate via text/phone then?

It is a conspiracy... Im just trying to ask the questions and get to the bottom of it all. :biggrin:

Happens occasionally, I've had issues closing out a trip - not wanting to drive too far away so the trip wouldn't show I drove all over the place.

Usually it fixes itself after a reboot or driving to another area.

If you do pick up the pax and can't start/end it properly just use the "help" tab after the drive and adjust the pickup/dropoff points.

arrrghhh

It's honestly happened to me only once where I wasn't able to get data service but text/phone calls worked... opening Rockies day last year.

I found the pax via phone, but then once they got in my car I couldn't start the dang trip! I pulled over as I had driven a block or so (in traffic) trying to start the trip, and found one of those 'xfinitywifi' hotspots. Thankfully connecting to that allowed me to start the trip...

Otherwise I guess I would have had to drive far enough away from the madness to start the trip and then check it afterwards to make sure Uber credited me properly. Definitely annoying when it happens tho, we depend on data service (and our cell phones in general) working so much in this business.

UberDez

I hear this a lot at most events with att and Tmobile (GSM carriers) they tend to have issues at heavy events when the network gets over loaded.
Whenever I go to bronco games my friends with Tmobile and att always have issues. My Verizon definitely slows down but always works

I recommend just switching on airplane mode for 5 seconds and then turning it off so that your phone reconnects to the network

arrrghhh

I hear this a lot at most events with att and Tmobile (GSM carriers) they tend to have issues at heavy events when the network gets over loaded.
Whenever I go to bronco games my friends with Tmobile and att always have issues. My Verizon definitely slows down but always works

I'm on Verizon, and I definitely had issues opening day for Rockies last year.

AT&T and Tmo have LTE as well... CDMA/GSM is really just for voice now (or areas with crappy/no LTE)

There are differences in the frequencies and thus the building penetration ability... but that really doesn't have much to do with tower saturation.

ItsAConspiracy

Great tip. I will try that next time vs phone reboot. Or I can always bounce the phone off the highway at 70mph to see if that fixes it. Of course in this case this is likely not the phones fault, but at least I will feel better until I realize I will have to buy another phone.

I'm on Verizon, and I definitely had issues opening day for Rockies last year.

AT&T and Tmo have LTE as well... CDMA/GSM is really just for voice now (or areas with crappy/no LTE)

There are differences in the frequencies and thus the building penetration ability... but that really doesn't have much to do with tower saturation.

I know there is a way to force my phone to GSM or EDGE (way old) but not sure that would help or not. If the tower is overloaded, I dont think it would matter much how you connected to it... Although using a different frequency/band may get you a different tower all together, IDK.

I know at my house I get much better signal strength on GSM than 4G LTE, but obviously less bandwidth.

ItsAConspiracy

Did the stadium surge last night?
Yeah, bigtime. And I couldnt pick up a single soul there. Although I did make out ok for the night as the surge area was pretty large.

s/ Millionaires were made during yesterday's surge... It was epic. /s :biggrin:

Last edited:

mattadams

Yeah, bigtime. And I couldnt pick up a single soul there. Although I did make out ok for the night as the surge area was pretty large.

s/ Millionaires were made during yesterday's surge... It was epic. /s :biggrin:
Do I detect a note of sarcasm? LOL
I was watching the surge for a while, am constantly surprised that some games seem to surge like crazy while otehrs you get almost none. I would guess it surged better after the game, but I was asleep by halftime. :smiles:

UberDez

You're not gonna get much surge before the game maybe 1.8x or so , as people are coming from all different areas to the game . The big surge only happens when the event is ending and it's a huge cluster @@@@ to get to anyone lol . I avoid events completely or position myself to be in small surge areas with easier pick ups

Daisey77

Had a pax that I needed to pick up at Sports Authority Field after the game let out and parked right were the pax apparently wanted to be picked up. Waited a few minutes, then sent a text, waited a few minutes more... Tried to cancel as no-show and got a spinning progress wheel. Was thinking WTF... after a few minutes staring at the never-ending progress wheel, tried to access the internet on my phone and got nada. Rebooted the phone (Galaxy S7 BTW)... still no internet. I did have cell service (text / phone) but no data despite LTE showing activity and reception was 4/5 bars.

What I suspect happened was the pax moved to another area, but my app couldnt update location. After leaving the area my phones data connection sprang back to life and Uber was showing that I needed to pick up the same pax that I had tried to cancel as no-show. Realizing this was a technical issue on my part, I cancelled with no charge to pax... Although it would have been nice to get a text back from the pax.

I always have a problem following Broncos games! I have the 7 Edge and I have AT&T. Last night, I was actually able to flip to airplane mode for a few seconds, then flip back out and it worked just fine. I did have to do this a couple times throughout my time in that area. I don't know technicalities by any means. I just always assumed with the thousands of people ordering in the thousands of drivers getting request the towers just got overloaded but obviously some of you guys know more about technology than I do LOL also another thing I've done is, I'll park relatively close to the A&W (within a block or two) and walk over there to connect to their WiFi. At least long enough to get my apps up, get a request, make contact with the passenger and give them the option to meet me there or at my vehicle, but I explain to them what's going on. So they don't cancel thinking I'm blowing them off or in case the information is not registering correctly to their phone, as to my whereabouts

It always surges after Broncos games. Some games that may surge higher than others but there is always a decent surge

Brokendown

My phone turned off by itself as I was arriving to pick up a pax after the game. I switched it back on and didn't lose the trip.
I'm on Verizon and rarely have those issues w Uber. Lyft on the other hand goes out of range constantly. If I ever get the 'wheel of death' it's because I have forgotten to switch off wifi.

Yep, mini surge after 3rd quarter of about 2x, then another when the game let out over 4x
I snagged two rides, a 3x, and a 4x.
Did ya'all see the crazy surges this morning? I caught an airport too early at 4:30, but by 5:00 Denver was at 3.0! (Of course I missed it)

ItsAConspiracy

Looks like dogs are popular avatars around here, so heres my mutt.

Anyway, another good place that is not as crazy are the light rail stations, but the trips are relatively short. The one near my house was surging a decent amount, so I managed to score one last trip before heading home.

Last edited:

Bphelps

I recommend just switching on airplane mode for 5 seconds and then turning it off so that your phone reconnects to the network
That didn't work for me. Ugh yes, tmobile.. Lost a 4.7 surge with an xl.. pissed