Drove one of the new Mears vans today

Bob Reynolds

Lucky me got to drive one of the new Mears luxury vans yesterday. I drove 276 miles. So now the van has almost 5000 miles on it. This is a 2016 Transit 350. It seats 8 passengers. I put 18 gallons of fuel it it so that gives a mileage rate of 15.33 miles per gallon. The customers really seemed to like it.

Mears just put 20 new vans and SUV's into the luxury fleet as they remove the 2011 and 2012 models. That's about 1 million dollars spent on just these 20 new vehicles. All of the vehicles are paid for. So I don't think Mears is hurting as far as vehicles is concerned.

They also put 20 new Lincoln sedans in the fleet about 2 months ago.

Right now Mears is not accepting applications for luxury vehicle drivers, but they are still accepting applications for cab drivers.

naplestom75

Lucky me got to drive one of the new Mears luxury vans yesterday. I drove 276 miles. So now the van has almost 5000 miles on it. This is a 2016 Transit 350. It seats 8 passengers. I put 18 gallons of fuel it it so that gives a mileage rate of 15.33 miles per gallon. The customers really seemed to like it.

Mears just put 20 new vans and SUV's into the luxury fleet as they remove the 2011 and 2012 models. That's about 1 million dollars spent on just these 20 new vehicles. All of the vehicles are paid for. So I don't think Mears is hurting as far as vehicles is concerned.

They also put 20 new Lincoln sedans in the fleet about 2 months ago.

Right now Mears is not accepting applications for luxury vehicle drivers, but they are still accepting applications for cab drivers.
A place like Orlando will always have a market for real taxis and car services. Every day, there are thousands of people coming and going for conventions and business that are on expense accounts. Why roll the dice with UberX when you can get a nice car and have a pick-up time and reservation that you can count on?

The Mollusk

My last pax had to wait 40 mins but would still rather take taxi. She said she wouldn't take a ride from someone who hasn't passed a background check.

Karen2

What background check for taxi drivers? My friend drives and was on the road with nears in 4 days. He had one felony 3 yrs back, two traffic tickets in 2 years they gave him keys. Mears is just as bad as uber. They don't care about driver they are paid for the car , they don't care what you make or how many drivers on the road

Bob Reynolds

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What background check for taxi drivers? My friend drives and was on the road with nears in 4 days. He had one felony 3 yrs back, two traffic tickets in 2 years they gave him keys. Mears is just as bad as uber. They don't care about driver they are paid for the car , they don't care what you make or how many drivers on the road
Um, you are a bit mistaken here.

1. Mears does a background check on all of their drivers.
2. Mears makes sure all drivers are issued Orlando Taxi Driver permits.
3. Mears actually does care about the drivers a whole lot more than Uber cares about their drivers. Uber never gave me free Disney tickets. Mears does. Uber never gave my kids free school supplies. Mears does.
4. Mears absolutely does limit the number of cars and drivers on the road. Just ask any driver that tried to check out a car when none are available.

naplestom75

Right, now taking a taxi cuz of the background check thing, I don't get. It can't be any better than Uber's process, and at least with the Uber driver you know they have it together to the point where they have their own car.

Bob Reynolds

Right, now taking a taxi cuz of the background check thing, I don't get. It can't be any better than Uber's process, and at least with the Uber driver you know they have it together to the point where they have their own car.
Any monkey can get a car and drive for Uber. Uber does not interview any of their drivers nor do they even meet most of their drivers.

Mears interviews every driver, meets every driver and sees every driver on a weekly or daily basis. So yes Mears drivers are safer and more reliable than Uber drivers. There is a joke around Mears that Uber is Mears training school. If you can get past the Uber BS for at least 3 months then you can come and drive for Mears.

naplestom75

We get it that Mears and their drivers think that their sh!t don't stink. it's probably a very good company. But I was talking about taxis and cabs in general, like what you could end-up drawing with a street hail in other, real cities, like NY, Boston, Chicago etc.

Yuri Lygotme

We get it that Mears and their drivers think that their sh!t don't stink. it's probably a very good company. But I was talking about taxis and cabs in general, like what you could end-up drawing with a street hail in other, real cities, like NY, Boston, Chicago etc.
Yeah like those big cities do not require background check and fingerprinting... Get real..

Shine'ola

sounds like you hang out with fellons

Ubertimes

Um, you are a bit mistaken here.

1. Mears does a background check on all of their drivers.
2. Mears makes sure all drivers are issued Orlando Taxi Driver permits.
3. Mears actually does care about the drivers a whole lot more than Uber cares about their drivers. Uber never gave me free Disney tickets. Mears does. Uber never gave my kids free school supplies. Mears does.
4. Mears absolutely does limit the number of cars and drivers on the road. Just ask any driver that tried to check out a car when none are available.
Why would you need free school supplies when you make so much? , 300 per day driving cabby
Hmmmm?
I can go to Disney any day with my own money

Bob Reynolds

Why would you need free school supplies when you make so much? , 300 per day driving cabby
Hmmmm?
I can go to Disney any day with my own money
Then I would suggest that you collect your free school supplies and free Disney tickets from Uber. Go by the Uber office and see if they have them ready for you.

I agree that Uber driver's need it more than Mears drivers since Uber drivers are working for poverty wages.

But I'll take the gifts that Mears offers their drivers and use the cash that I would spend on those school supplies and Disney tickets for other things.

Ubertimes

Then I would suggest that you collect your free school supplies and free Disney tickets from Uber. Go by the Uber office and see if they have them ready for you.

I agree that Uber driver's need it more than Mears drivers since Uber drivers are working for poverty wages.

But I'll take the gifts that Mears offers their drivers and use the cash that I would spend on those school supplies and Disney tickets for other things.
Dont fool yourself or others Mears pay is below my poverty line for sure.
Believe me if Mears paid so well they wouldn't be giving charity for their drivers, to try and make themselves look good.
Mears family has impoverished drivers for years putting small businesses out of business all over the country don't try to pretend that the mears family does do anything different then the Uber group they are both here to fleece their drivers and line their pockets with gold and silver. Just look where the owners of Mears actually live and look at what they drive, and it aint no yellow cab baby

Last edited:

Bob Reynolds

Mears family has impoverished drivers for years putting small businesses out of business all over the country don't try to pretend that the mears family does do anything different then the Uber group they are both here to fleece their drivers and line their pockets with gold and silver. Just look where the owners of Mears actually live and look at what they drive, and it aint no yellow cab baby
1. What small businesses "all over the country" has Mears put out of business? I'm not aware of any and I don't know what you are talking about.

2. Mears drivers do make money or they leave. It's that simple. There are drivers that have been at Mears for decades. They don't stick around because they are making poverty wages. On the other hand, the average life of a Uber driver is 3 months. It takes them that long to figure out that they are losing money and donating their vehicles and their time to Uber.

3. Mears has a very successful business and where the owners live and what they drive is no concern of yours or mine. You are free to go out and start your own business and live in a big fancy house and drive an expensive car. No one is stopping you.

Ubertimes

1. What small businesses "all over the country" has Mears put out of business? I'm not aware of any and I don't know what you are talking about.

2. Mears drivers do make money or they leave. It's that simple. There are drivers that have been at Mears for decades. They don't stick around because they are making poverty wages. On the other hand, the average life of a Uber driver is 3 months. It takes them that long to figure out that they are losing money and donating their vehicles and their time to Uber.

3. Mears has a very successful business and where the owners live and what they drive is no concern of yours or mine. You are free to go out and start your own business and live in a big fancy house and drive an expensive car. No one is stopping you.
I do own my own very nice home and 4 vehicles
So I'm doing very well, even with or without Uber.
You sound like a Mears crony or a Mears owner, don't get mad.