Drove for Uber today

DrivingForYou

i just signed up for uber and drove today for uber for the first time.

1) the app is so far superior to the crappy LYFT app it's shocking.

2) the statement "Lyft passengers are former uber passengers that were kicked off uber" has more credence than I would have thought... Today's uber passengers were expectionally friendly and decent.

3) my third ride happened to be someone that actually works for uber. She had the pin I the wrong place making pickup a problem. Then told me she was late for a flight so I really hustled to get her to the airport, THEN told me she worked for uber as I was racing to the airport (not LAX).

4) the uber app has a red dialog that pops up if you exceed 80 MPH.

5) I got a lot more rides over a period of time that Lyft.

6) I got a $15 bonus for returning a guy's wallet that he left in the back.

7) cancel earnings are less, but Cancelling is easier.

8) destination mode works far far better than Lyft.

9) seems to pay 5% less than Lyft.

I'm mainly going to drive uber this week to clear the signup bonus. Then, we'll see.

New2This

2) the statement "Lyft passengers are former uber passengers that were kicked off uber" has more credence than I would have thought... Today's uber passengers were expectionally friendly and decent.

3) my third ride happened to be someone that actually works for uber. She had the pin I the wrong place making pickup a problem. Then told me she was late for a flight so I really hustled to get her to the airport, THEN told me she worked for uber as I was racing to the airport (not LAX).

I'm mainly going to drive uber this week to clear the signup bonus. Then, we'll see.

They're both horrible companies. Having said that, I make far more with Uber than Lyft. I do almost no base rides. It's either surge or boost for me or my app stays off. Uber Boost is easier to see and get, and surge is easier to see and get (as infrequent as surge is these days).

chitown73

They're both horrible companies. Having said that, I make far more with Uber than Lyft. I do almost no base rides. It's either surge or boost for me or my app stays off. Uber Boost is easier to see and get, and surge is easier to see and get (as infrequent as surge is these days).
I just laugh when I hear some people say that Lyft is better than Uber. Don't get me wrong Uber is full of bs but Lyft is definitely a lot worse. Lyft will let you accept "scheduled pickups" and then give them to someone else just minutes before the pickup time. They constantly hassle you about your acceptance rate yet even if you accept a ride, they'll cancel it just to give it to another driver that may only be 30 secs closer AND on top of that they'll blame the cancelation on the rider. Lyft takes all of Uber Fails and makes them 10x worse.

ShinyAndChrome

The uber app is definitely better. I can't even find a fare breakdown in lyft without going to the website (app doesn't have it) and then have to confirm my cell each time. It is really weird. Also lyft needs to incorporate nav into their app.

Lyft also needs to stop asking me to pickup a ride 20 min away lol get real.

I still prefer lyft pings because lyft takes much less cut than uber and also cancel fee I understand it pays the entire amount.

Lyft needs to allow texting customers tho.

New2This

The uber app is definitely better. I can't even find a fare breakdown in lyft without going to the website (app doesn't have it) and then have to confirm my cell each time. It is really weird. Also lyft needs to incorporate nav into their app.

Lyft also needs to stop asking me to pickup a ride 20 min away lol get real.

Cancel fees are much less hassle on Uber even though they take their cut for them.

I still prefer lyft pings because lyft takes much less cut than uber and also cancel fee I understand it pays the entire amount.

Lyft needs to allow texting customers tho.

Lyft defaults to Waze for me.

Lyft and Uber commission depends on sign up date. I do both at 25%. Lyft shows the what the rider paid, Uber just shows your take. Lyft numbers look bigger until you look at their payout.

Texting does work. Same number you use to call the rider works for text too.

backcountryrez

Big YMMV depending on where you are.

Jamesp1234

Tells you the quality of the "employee/non-driver" hires when they can't get their pickup location right and can't judge time...

MSUGrad9902

Uber has more drivers and more riders. The rates are nearly identical - lyft is actually slightly better in Detroit than Uber on Plus pings vs XL pings (x and regular lyft are the same). So theoretically I should make more with lyft. However, since uber has more drivers and more riders, the distance to pickup and time between pings are significantly less with Uber. Which means it costs less to get to the pickup and you waste less time between pickups. Plus now with Uber allowing "XL only" I find myself only driving lyft when I have a ride count promo going (I do not qualify for PDB, which is nearly impossible anyway). So this week I'll do my 25 lyft rides and no more. Last week it was 5 lyft rides and no more.

AuxCordBoston

In the future do not speed and risk injury for a pax.

Dropking

No need to take an either / or approach. The best for income optimization is to use both. If you go for the bonuses they will send you on endless Lyft line and Uber pool rides so that you meet the minimum criteria. Put yourself in charge be accepting only quality rides. All that said, Uber is better on average. Yes, Lyft is sometimes better for income optimization. It all just depends.

The Gift of Fish

It has been more stable of late. It used to be shockingly bad.
I think you need to look up the word credence.
Don't risk getting a ticket for pax. If they want to speed along the highway then they can drive their own car and risk their own licenses.
As above
True

DrivingForYou

I think you need to look up the word credence.

I know what credence means and I used it correctly, I don't need to look it up. But for you, here it is:

cre·dence
ˈkrēdəns/
noun
  1. 1.
    belief in or acceptance of something as true.
    "psychoanalysis finds little credence among laymen"
    synonyms: belief, faith, trust, confidence, reliance
    "the government placed little credence in the scheme"