Driving without Insurance

JustTreatMeFair

Driving without Insurance of your own?

Played cards with a couple of friends and a conversation came up regarding the need for rideshare insurance with a question I could not answer with anything other than "because UBER says so?"

1) You usually have to prove you have insurance when you register a vehicle.
2) You have to prove you have insurance to UBER when you add a vehicle.
3) You have to prove you have insurance when you are stopped while driving a vehicle.

Only #3 carries the possibility of a fine and potential citations or charges for not having it.

So assuming at the time you register a vehicle and sign up as a driver you have insurance that at some point afterwards lapses or is cancelled. You are not having to prove it until registration is due or when the previous policy lapses in Uber's records and the only time you WOULD have to prove insurance is to an officer that stops you for something.

So.

If a driver without personal insurance turns on the app and goes online he now has liability insurance provided by UBER that meets state requirements and he picks up additional insurance when he has a passenger.

If stopped for speeding or asked to present proof of insurance while driving is there a valid reason that presenting UBER's policy information should not suffice?

I'm only asking about the legal requirements for a driver to be insured.

I understand it means nothing in regards to registration and UBER will pay a driver nothing for repairs if his policy is not in affect and he has an accident

reasoning for the discussion was revolving around why insurance companies often cancel policies when they know a car is being used for rideshare.

Daisey77

Reason they cancel is if you haven't disclosed it. That's insurance fraud. Uber's insurance is contingent on if you have insurance whether it's liability or Collision. So if you don't have insurance they're able to weasel their way out of paying for the claim. Which means you're on the hook for everything, Medical and vehicle related. Not to mention if your vehicle is financed and you don't have personal insurance, the lender will add their own insurance at triple the rates. At least here in Colorado anyways

disp350

Reason they cancel is if you haven't disclosed it. That's insurance fraud. Uber's insurance is contingent on if you have insurance whether it's liability or Collision. So if you don't have insurance they're able to weasel their way out of paying for the claim. Which means you're on the hook for everything, Medical and vehicle related. Not to mention if your vehicle is financed and you don't have personal insurance, the lender will add their own insurance at triple the rates. At least here in Colorado anyways
Absolutely correct. You're telling them how you use the car, and then use it in another manner. They have every right to not cover and then drop you.

The latest TOS that came out CLEARLY states that if you don't have a valid personal vehicle insurance policy, you personally are shiit out of luck. The pax will be covered, but you will not get any insurance coverage at all. Can we assume you click accept and did not read through it? I know its a lot of legalese, but I do read it and try to figure out what has changed, what sneakiness they are adding, etc.

Las Vegas Dude

In Nevada you can’t have a registered vehicle without personal insurance. You may get away with it for awhile but in the end they will suspend your registration and fine you plus the SR22 for 3 years that the insurance will charge you more for to maintain.

Oscar Levant

Played cards with a couple of friends and a conversation came up regarding the need for rideshare insurance with a question I could not answer with anything other than "because UBER says so?"

3) You have to prove you have insurance when you are stopped while driving a vehicle.

Only #3 carries the possibility of a fine and potential citations or charges for not having it.

So assuming at the time you register a vehicle and sign up as a driver you have insurance that at some point afterwards lapses or is cancelled. You are not having to prove it until registration is due or when the previous policy lapses in Uber's records and the only time you WOULD have to prove insurance is to an officer that stops you for something.

So.

If a driver without personal insurance turns on the app and goes online he now has liability insurance provided by UBER that meets state requirements and he picks up additional insurance when he has a passenger.

If stopped for speeding or asked to present proof of insurance while driving is there a valid reason that presenting UBER's policy information should not suffice?

I understand it means nothing in regards to registration and UBER will pay a driver nothing for repairs if his policy is not in affect and he has an accident

reasoning for the discussion was revolving around why insurance companies often cancel policies when they know a car is being used for rideshare.
If app is engaged, I suspect you show Uber's insurance, which is on your app somewhere, eh?

But, the last time I was stopped by a cop, they only asked for registration, this was in CA back in 2015. So, I dunno what they do in CA these days.

Asificarewhatyoudontthink

So.

Yes, you are required to carry insurance on your vehicle. So, an officer can tell you to pound sand about Ubers insurance and see your proof of insurance.

JustTreatMeFair

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Uber will not be able to "weasel" out of any claims made by others or the passenger. I totally understand they would drop a driver as well as possibly fight any claim the driver made.

But where in the language of the insurance that is in place from the time one goes online until logging off does it state it is contingent on the driver's insurance being in place.

The argument was about any legal responsibility to the state for the driver to be insured. His argument was that from the moment a driver goes online until he goes offline the driver meets the requirements the State (Texas) has for a driver to carry certain liability minimums.

Liability covers any property a driver hits as well as any personal injury to passengers and others.

Nobody responding has addressed the point here. I made most of the same arguments with him and ended scratching my head because I cannot find in the policy or law where a driver could get prosecuted for driving without insurance if the APP is on and driver is in the mode to accept rides. Uber's Insurance is not in place to protect the driver although it does. It is there to protect UBER and limit UBER's liability in the case of an accident.

Buck-a-mile

So.

A lot of police cars have license plate readers. Your insurance is linked to your car. No insurance and the red and blues come on.

They tow your car in California for no insurance.

So, they can pull over your car when your insurance is CXL.

The DMV is informed immediately when you cancel.

Daisey77

Nobody responding has addressed the point here.
Perhaps no one's answering your question directly because you're not specifically asking question. You're Jumping All Around making it confusing to figure out what the hell you're asking.

But where in the language of the insurance that is in place from the time one goes online until logging off does it state it is contingent on the driver's insurance being in place.
It says right here its contingent

Screenshot_20200327-194037_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200327-194100_Chrome.jpg

JustTreatMeFair

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Contingent Comprehensive and Collision is coverage for YOUR car. They don't want to pay to fix YOUR car if YOU don't think it's worth insuring yourself. Contingent Comprehensive and Collision is not liability which is all states legaly REQUIRE drivers to have.

Good Try though go two above that and clearly there is 1mil in liability in place. Does nothing for you but covers others.
Post automatically merged:

A lot of police cars have license plate readers. Your insurance is linked to your car. No insurance and the red and blues come on.

They tow your car in California for no insurance.

So, they can pull over your car when your insurance is CXL.

The DMV is informed immediately when you cancel.
And then the driver presents the Uber Insurance and a conversation ensues. MAYBE the car gets impounded but I'll bet any lawyer gets that undone pretty quick and gets some damages as a result of it. I have had others see exactly what I'm saying here. If no one else gets it OK.

Daisey77

What the @@@@ are you asking dude?

You clearly stated this

But where in the language of the insurance that is in place from the time one goes online until logging off does it state it is contingent on the driver's insurance being in place
You mentioned nothing about liability vs. Comp and collision. So I'm supposed to know what you mean or what you're thinking in that little head of yours? I answered your question. Not my fault you don't know how to articulate what you want.

disp350

Contingent Comprehensive and Collision is coverage for YOUR car. They don't want to pay to fix YOUR car if YOU don't think it's worth insuring yourself. Contingent Comprehensive and Collision is not liability which is all states legaly REQUIRE drivers to have.

Good Try though go two above that and clearly there is 1mil in liability in place. Does nothing for you but covers others.
Post automatically merged:

And then the driver presents the Uber Insurance and a conversation ensues. MAYBE the car gets impounded but I'll bet any lawyer gets that undone pretty quick and gets some damages as a result of it. I have had others see exactly what I'm saying here. If no one else gets it OK.
It is illegal to drive without an insurance policy, period. It's not the same as driving a company vehicle with the employers insurance policy. Since we are contractors, not employees, Ubers insurance is considered secondary. Insurance companies have no responsibility to cover you when you are in violation on the law. Same thing applies if you transport a child without required carseat.

Seamus

In NY if your insurance lapses the insurance company must by law notify the state and your registration is suspended and you must turn your plates in. Wouldn’t get away with it in NY.

Pax_Buster

If you don't have full coverage i.e. liability and comprehension collision, Uber's insurance will not cover damage to your car. Liability insurance only is a big liability.

W00dbutcher

Why would anybody in their right mind even try such a stupid idea.?! You are basically putting everything you have on on the line if you get into an accident for somebody else to take away from you. I guess you really can't fix stupid!

Another Uber Driver

Reason they cancel is if you haven't disclosed it. That's insurance fraud. Uber's insurance is contingent on if you have insurance whether it's liability or Collision. So if you don't have insurance they're able to weasel their way out of paying for the claim. Which means you're on the hook for everything,

This is what I would guess. As your Uber's agreeing to contract with you is contingent upon your maintaining a private policy on your vehicle, if you fail to carry insurance thereon, you are violating the contract, thus rendering said contract null and void. For that reason, Uber's policy would not cover.

Would the police accept Uber's policy and not ask to see your own? I would expect that would be up to the occifer who stops you. If there is a collision, I would expect, again, that it would be up to the occifer who investigates. If you were logged in to the application, I would show the Uber proof of insurance and not volunteer my own. If the police asked for it, I would show my own. You might get away with it, as most insurance cards carry the one year policy expiration date.

Absolutely correct. You're telling them how you use the car, and then use it in another manner. They have every right to not cover and then drop you.
If either party violates the terms of the contract, that renders it void.

Everything is fine until you have an accident with a pax in the car.
As a rule, this is the case. If the police stop you for speeding, running a STOP sign or other such thing, though...................

A lot of police cars have license plate readers. Your insurance is linked to your car. No insurance and the red and blues come on. They tow your car in California for no insurance. So, they can pull over your car when your insurance is CXL. The DMV is informed immediately when you cancel.

This would not surprise me. Licence plate reading technology is advancing quickly. They do have some in the Capital of Your Nation, but, the last time that I checked or asked anyone, they do not have the link with the insurance Y-E-T. It is fairly easy to program that link, I would suspect. The police simply scan it, the computer brings up the record, it shows no valid insurance, police stop the car, issue the summons, send the driver to walk.

In the Capital of Your Nation, they will impound your car if you can not show an insurance card.

We do have people in this area, though, who will go to an agent and buy a policy from whatever the agent gives them. They get the premium financed. They make the down payment, get the insurance card, never make another payment. As of this posting, they get away with it until either they get stopped or the police, upon notification by the insurance company, show up at the address and snatch the licence plates. While that does happen frequently, there are many who do get away with it. When it is time to re-new the registration, they simply go to another agent, buy another policy, make the down payment, get the insurance card, enter the information when they renew and start the cycle, again.

The District of Columbia has managed to keep that to a minimum by issuing automatic fines if you do not turn in your licence plates upon your insurance policy's being cancelled. The Registry will send you nastygrams and you will not be allowed to renew until you pay the fines.

It is illegal to drive without an insurance policy, period.
Every automobile liability policy that I ever have seen contains an exclusion for "illegal acts". As driving without insurance is an "illegal act", or, even having a licence plate without it is an "illegal act", Uber/Lyft insurer can get out of it.

Legalizeit0

Why would anybody in their right mind even try such a stupid idea.?! You are basically putting everything you have on on the line if you get into an accident for somebody else to take away from you. I guess you really can't fix stupid!
There is a portion of society that live in scam mode. they make their first payment with an insurance company just to get the card and let it lapse. Many states don’t have immediate cancel reporting.
Some peoples brains are just wired to lie cheat and steal, these people look for the easiest way out of everything. It’s sad, but it’s prevalent in our society.
When everyone gets a trophy, there’s really no need to try. Sad.