• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Driving with a disability?

wevans

Media
I'm a reporter working on a story about discrimination in the gig economy. I'm interested in talking to drivers who've experienced discrimination, and what they did about it. And also any drivers with disabilities about the challenges they've faced. Thanks!

Trafficat

I don't have anything to add other than the fact there is a checkbox that Uber drivers can mark if they choose to do so, that says they are hard of hearing or deaf, that will notify passengers of this disability so they know what to expect.

Yulli Yung

I'm a reporter working on a story about discrimination in the gig economy. I'm interested in talking to drivers who've experienced discrimination, and what they did about it. And also any drivers with disabilities about the challenges they've faced. Thanks!
Looks like someone trying to create problems

Brian G.

Why is this even that important. If a driver refuses a ride with a disability if caught they'll be gone abd please no one cares about us drivers haha next question.

wevans

Media
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like someone trying to create problems
Not trying to cause problems. Just hoping to hear people's stories.

I don't have anything to add other than the fact there is a checkbox that Uber drivers can mark if they choose to do so, that says they are hard of hearing or deaf, that will notify passengers of this disability so they know what to expect.
I've seen that, and wonder how that's working...

Coachman

I've seen hundreds and hundreds of drivers at the airport staging area and I've never noticed anybody with an obvious disability (missing limb, seeing eye dog, etc). I have heard tales of deaf drivers but I've never met one.

Coachman

I was reported by a passenger for using a cane. She said it made her uncomfortable. Uber advised me to stop using the cane to preserve my rating. The cane was not a fashion statement but rather a required assistive device, so using it was not optional.
How do you feel about her feeling uncomfortable?

wevans

Media
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was reported by a passenger for using a cane. She said it made her uncomfortable. Uber advised me to stop using the cane to preserve my rating. The cane was not a fashion statement but rather a required assistive device, so using it was not optional.
Uber told you to stop using it? What did you end up doing?

JimKE

I've seen hundreds and hundreds of drivers at the airport staging area and I've never noticed anybody with an obvious disability (missing limb, seeing eye dog, etc). I have heard tales of deaf drivers but I've never met one.
I know of several posters on these boards who have severe disabilities, mostly from wartime injuries. I've never heard one complain about discrimination. In fact, their daily struggles are an inspiration to me.

But good story-line Wevans -- should be worth some money for you. :rolleyes:

SEAL Team 5

I really don't think that Uber discriminates at all. Uber takes advantage of all their driving partners equally. Constantly driving drunk obnoxious violent pax around for $.60/mile is a sure sign of having some type of mental disability with emphasis on deductive reasoning.

4.9 forever

I really don't think that Uber discriminates at all. Uber takes advantage of all their driving partners equally. Constantly driving drunk obnoxious violent pax around for $.60/mile is a sure sign of having some type of mental disability with emphasis on deductive reasoning.
I don't think the discrimination comes from Uber, but from the PAX. Every day. Just read through the forums, and you will see story after story of riders treating drivers like second rate citizens. One driver pulls up and the friends take pics because they don't feel safe letting a friend ride with 'those people'. Another driver gets cancelled on as they enter a parking lot because they shouldn't be in this neighborhood. It goes on and on.

Rat

A friend of mine is in a wheelchair and passengers berate her for not helping with luggage and opening doors for them. She was deactivated for low ratings once.

SEAL Team 5

One driver pulls up and the friends take pics because they don't feel safe letting a friend ride with 'those people'.
Almost like drivers using a dash cam.

Another driver gets cancelled on as they enter a parking lot because they shouldn't be in this neighborhood.
Almost like a driver pulling into a grocery store parking lot and canceling after they see a type of older woman with a basket full of groceries.

I don't think the discrimination comes from Uber, but from the PAX. Every day. Just read through the forums, and you will see story after story of riders treating drivers like second rate citizens. One driver pulls up and the friends take pics because they don't feel safe letting a friend ride with 'those people'. Another driver gets cancelled on as they enter a parking lot because they shouldn't be in this neighborhood. It goes on and on.
It goes on and on.

melusine3

How about a story about the real costs and non-profit of rideshare?

I used it until further surgeries rendered it unnecessary. I'm happy to say I walk petty darn good these days. I paid no attention to Uber's advice whatsoever. I simply ignore requests from certain demographics now.
You should have sued Uber for discrimination.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Stories 6
Allan51 Advice 5
Tda85 Sydney 13