• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Driving with a brand new vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starchild

Yesterday i signed the papers for a new 2017 Nissan Versa S+. I have two questions.

What can i use in place of the registration? I know the website says i may use the "temporary registration" however i am unsure what that is.

The vehicle was sold to me brand new by a manufacturer endorsed dealership. Do i need to have another SSC completed? I read and found that the SSC inspection that Uber requires is required to be completed prior to the sale of a vehicle. So does my car already have one that i can submit to Uber?

EDIT: To those who answered my question, thank you. To those who started droning on with BS and rhetoric. Go away. Im closing this thread. It provides no real value to the community. If your responses have contributed to that fact, the same is true for you.

Good day

Last edited:

Hogg

Driving rideshare in a new car is a horrible idea. Do you know what the depreciation is versus what you'll get paid? You will quickly be underwater in your loan, owing more than the car is worth. Plus you will burn through your warranty in no time and they may even cancel it if Nissan finds out you're using it for work.

I had a nicer car for a month and my driver ratings went down quickly. Its hard to be nice and friendly when passengers are tearing up your nice car, putting their feet on the seats and spilling drinks and food.

Starchild

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Driving rideshare in a new car is a horrible idea. Do you know what the depreciation is versus what you'll get paid? You will quickly be underwater in your loan, owing more than the car is worth. Plus you will burn through your warranty in no time and they may even cancel it if Nissan finds out you're using it for work.

I had a nicer car for a month and my driver ratings went down quickly. Its hard to be nice and friendly when passengers are tearing up your nice car, putting their feet on the seats and spilling drinks and food.
Understood. I dont care. I need the money. Besides, thats what a loyaly program at the car cleaners is for, thats what full coverage insurance is for, and thats what the dealership warranty is for.

Not to mention seat covers and floor mats.

The mfg warranty is mostly good for it roadside assistance imho.

ACHUMA

Your warranty will be void & useless when they find out you've been driving for Uber/Lyft. I've had 2 ex-drivers tell me their story about being screwed out of their warranty on a new car and ended up having to cover all repair costs themself.

Better have a damn good answer when the dealership asks you why you already have so many miles on your new car.

Tnasty

The only way this will pay off is if you do all the maintenance on time and drive this car for 200k miles.

El Cemento

Just wait till your brand new car gets dinged by somebody's luggage as they carelessly throw it at your side of your trunk, or the drunkard kids piling in your car slamming the seatbelt in your door bending the metal on the bottom of it, chipping the paint...
Or, drumroll, the projectile puking that goes beyond where you can clean...
Oh yeah I forgot, you said that's what insurance is for. Just wait till you start claiming all these little things with your insurance company, and watch your rates on your brand new car go in one unfavorable direction.
Are you going to mention Rideshare insurance for each one of these claims? Let us know how that works out...

Just think, that drunk college freshman that just puked in your car and dented your door? You might have made $3.75 off of him! That is of course, err, before depreciation. After depreciation and your expenses you actually paid Uber to drive that trip, but who's counting. How's the math working out for you now?

We've got great advice for you, but if you're this far, you got it all figured out, and you probably just won't listen:
Run don't walk.

Have you started this thread with "driving with a $3000 10-year old car," you would find more optimism here.

Last edited:

Starchild

Your warranty will be void & useless when they find out you've been driving for Uber/Lyft. I've had 2 ex-drivers tell me their story about being screwed out of their warranty on a new car and ended up having to cover all repair costs themself.

Better have a damn good answer when the dealership asks you why you already have so many miles on your new car.
I drive my family around and let family borrow my car. They put miles on it and whos puke is that? Its my cousins.

Nobody can make me tell them i work for uber. And uber cannot arbitrarily reveal to private parties that i am affiliated with them.

I dont care. I need the money.

Just wait till your brand new car gets dinged by somebody's luggage as they carelessly throw it at your side of your trunk, or the drunkard kids piling in your car slamming the seatbelt in your door bending the metal on the bottom of it, chipping the paint...
Or, drumroll, the projectile puking that goes beyond where you can clean...
Oh yeah I forgot, you said that's what insurance is for. Just wait till you start claiming all these little things with your insurance company, and watch your rates on your brand new car go in one unfavorable direction.
Are you going to mention Rideshare insurance for each one of these claims? Let us know how that works out...

Just think, that drunk college freshman that just puked in your car and dented your door? You might have made $3.75 off of him! That is of course, err, before depreciation. After depreciation and your expenses you actually paid Uber to drive that trip, but who's counting. How's the math working out for you now?

We've got great advice for you, but if you're this far, you got it all figured out, and you probably just won't listen:
Run don't walk.

Have you started this thread with "driving with a $3000 10-year old car," you would find more optimism here.
I don't care for optimism. I want answers, not sunshine and flowers. I dont care if any of you think its a bad idea. I need the money. I will be driving this car for uber as soon as humanly possible.

Can you provide any useful and new information?

Also, i understand depreciation. I also understand discretion. Interior damage can be repaired or cleaned and nobody has to know it ever happened. The car has already lost more than a third of its MSRP. I dont need it to retain value. I dont care about years down the line right now. I make $12/hr and i hate my job. If uber can pay and reduce my stress, thats what im going to do.

steveK2016

Dealership has no business knowing how I use my vehicle or how many miles or for what purpose I put those miles. They warrant up to 100k miles or 5 years, which ever comes first. So if the 100k happens in the first year, what's it to them?

I don't recall signing any contract with the Dealership or vehicle Manufacture that prevents me from using the vehicle I purchased for whatever purpose I want. That's between my lender, my insurance provider and myself. Now if you went through the manufacturer's lending program, like NMAC for Nissan, etc, then that may be a different story.
I make $12/hr and i hate my job. If uber can pay and reduce my stress, thats what im going to do.
What do you do? How bad could it be? Some markets are lucky to see $12 an hour after expenses. Some markets do much better. Some markets do far worse. I don't know how good Omaha Nebraska is, but people are struggling in Atlanta and it's a pretty sizable market.

Reduce stress? I don't know if Uber is really a stress reliever... I would recommend you try doing it just on the weekends while keeping your 12/hr job. Get yourself really into Uber before you end up hating it more then you hated your 12/hr job and it's too late for you to go back...

Hogg

I worked at a dealer and saw some vehicles get $10,000+ worth of repairs done under warranty. Do you want to risk paying that much out of pocket because of a manufacturing defect that was overlooked at the factory?

I have also seen manufacturers use spies to find out who was voiding the terms of their warranty and cancel those warranties. Mitsubishi sent spies to racetracks and local club events and looked for anyone driving a Mitsubishi, recorded their name, the model, and color, not even the VIN and voided them. I wouldn't put it past them to hail rides on rideshare platforms and do the same thing.

You absolutely signed an agreement to use the car in a certain way when you bought it. Using it for commercial purposes, including rideshare, are outside of those terms.

You are likely to make less than $12/hour before your expenses, which will now include payments on a brand new car. I didn't touch $12/hour all last week and I was easily spending $2/hour on gas, as well as tons of wear and tear, I drive 1,000 to 1,500 miles per week doing this full time. I bought my rideshare car for $2000, 18 months ago and this still doesn't make economic sense to me, I'm hesitant to reinvest in the car next time it breaks. I also recently read about a driver that put over 100K on their newish car in a year and now owes $17,000 on a car that's only worth $8,000.

sidemouse

Nobody can make me tell them i work for uber. And uber cannot arbitrarily reveal to private parties that i am affiliated with them.

You're hardly the first individual to think that way, believe me when I say we go way, way back.
I used to deliver back 30... Yeah about 30 years ago, and they had ways of figuring it out then.

But...
I'm going to make a really long story really short:
I think, speaking for myself, I'd look for another job.
Preferably something that doesn't involve use of personal car for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited:

RedSteel

1) for the original question..... use your pink sales receipt for the temp registration. Uber accepted mine

2) I drive a 2017 Honda Pilot for uber..... but I only work 1 or 2 nights a week. At my pace I will have 60k on the car by year 3 and I will trade it in

RynoHawk

Uber accepted my bill of sale and temp tag as an alternate until I received the title and changed over the tag and registration from my old vehicle. Lyft will accept a temp tag but you must have actual vehicle registration, at least in my state.

El Cemento

I don't care for optimism. I want answers, not sunshine and flowers. I dont care if any of you think its a bad idea. I need the money. I will be driving this car for uber as soon as humanly possible.

Can you provide any useful and new information?

Also, i understand depreciation. I also understand discretion. Interior damage can be repaired or cleaned and nobody has to know it ever happened. The car has already lost more than a third of its MSRP. I dont need it to retain value. I dont care about years down the line right now. I make $12/hr and i hate my job. If uber can pay and reduce my stress, thats what im going to do.
You want answers? Frankly I think you just want to hear yourself talk, but here goes anyways simply because I've got nothing better to do in this one minute:
Yes, you can probably earn $12 an hour BEFORE your expenses doing this gig.
No, if you are coming to Uber looking for a stress-free job, you will be sadly disappointed.

Okay, got it, you don't care for optimism, you don't care if any of us think it's a bad idea, and alternatively, we really don't care if you drive yourself silly!

Do whatever you want to do, ignore every flag in this entire forum, don't forget to keep contributing to this because it will be fun to watch if nothing else than for our entertainment.

Some folks learn from others mistakes, and other folks need to just make those mistakes themselves.

Starchild

You want answers? Frankly I think you just want to hear yourself talk, but here goes anyways simply because I've got nothing better to do in this one minute:
Yes, you can probably earn $12 an hour BEFORE your expenses doing this gig.
No, if you are coming to Uber looking for a stress-free job, you will be sadly disappointed.

Okay, got it, you don't care for optimism, you don't care if any of us think it's a bad idea, and alternatively, we really don't care if you drive yourself silly!

Do whatever you want to do, ignore every flag in this entire forum, don't forget to keep contributing to this because it will be fun to watch if nothing else than for our entertainment.

Some folks learn from others mistakes, and other folks need to just make those mistakes themselves.
No, in fact i dont care to have to talk either. I need extra money. Dont get angry because i wont listen to you. I didnt ask for people opinions. What your going on about is off topic and clearly an attempt to relieve some of your own stress. I dont care what anyone says. Im driving uber. Not because its a good idea, but because i need money.

I currently work at a hotel for a boss that thinks i get 3 minutes for her 1. Even if uber is stressful, its not as stressful as what im doing. All these thing your worried about i do not care for.

Furthermore, with the warranties and insurance i wont pay any deductible for repairs. Plus i have gap insurance.

Now please, focus.

You're hardly the first individual to think that way, believe me when I say we go way, way back.
I used to deliver back 30... Yeah about 30 years ago, and they had ways of figuring it out then.

But...
I'm going to make a really long story really short:
I think, speaking for myself, I'd look for another job.
Preferably something that doesn't involve use of personal car for pennies on the dollar.
I don't view time waiting for a fare wasted, i can do stuff while i wait. Eat, sleep, smoke, socialize.

And if they do find out, whatever. Worse things have happened in my life. Ill stop, and life will go back to normal. As it stands i need a source of income that does not have a set schedule since my current job is so erratic (also why i dont just find another 9-5)

And i have enough warranties and insurance that im not worried.

NorCalPhil

And yet, you just spent it on a new car. Money you don't even have yet.

The car has already lost more than a third of its MSRP. I dont need it to retain value. I dont care about years down the line right now. I make $12/hr and i hate my job. If uber can pay and reduce my stress, thats what im going to do.
So you just traded in a $12/hr job that you hate that probably had zero risk, for a $12/hr job before expenses with massive Risk and took on a bank note for a brand new car you can't afford, to drive Uber which you haven't even tried yet. Here's your sign.

Starchild

And yet, you just spent it on a new car. Money you don't even have yet.

So you just traded in a $12/hr job that you hate that probably had zero risk, for a $12/hr job before expenses with massive Risk and took on a bank note for a brand new car you can't afford, to drive Uber which you haven't even tried yet. Here's your sign.
I said nothing about trading. Im not about to quit my job unless i see uber working better. Right now i need the extra money. Its as simple as that.

I got the car with charitable money from family. I was getting it either way. It would just be nice to not have to give up food for the next month like i expected. Uber could be an amazing thing in my life.

I understand you all have reasons to complain about uber. I get it. Maybe even some of you are here saying these thing to deter people from saturating the market with drivers. Grow up, all of you.

I didnt ask if its a good idea. I asked how i go about doing so.

Just Another Uber Drive

Yesterday i signed the papers for a new 2017 Nissan Versa S+. I have two questions.

What can i use in place of the registration? I know the website says i may use the "temporary registration" however i am unsure what that is.

The vehicle was sold to me brand new by a manufacturer endorsed dealership. Do i need to have another SSC completed? I read and found that the SSC inspection that Uber requires is required to be completed prior to the sale of a vehicle. So does my car already have one that i can submit to Uber?
The temporary registration is what is attached to your windsheild. Pull it off, carefully unfold it, photograph or scan it, and submit that to Uber.

Status
Not open for further replies.