1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Driving Under Cover/My Uber Story

Discussion in 'Stories' started by My Story, Oct 1, 2018.

1. My Story

My Story

Driving:
    UberX
    I was one of the first drivers to sign up to drive for Uber in 2014 for the Fort Myers/Naples/Cape Coral area and I also have the ignoble distinction to become the first Uber driver to be arrested for driving for Uber just because I was doing my job picking up riders from SWFL International Airport back in 2015. I have since written a book about those wild and crazy early days when Uber launched their services in Lee and Collier counties without the approval of the County Commission and as a consequence we all were left alone to face the full fury of the Airport Authority, Taxi Drivers and Law Enforcement. I am pleased to share my experiences and story with you over the coming days and weeks so that this must never happen to anyone again.
    Interact

TBone, jgiun1, MHR and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sounds fascinating...

jgiun1 and Cableguynoe like this.
  3. You think the stories are posted on a public forum and free?

jgiun1 likes this.
  4. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    Most airports have already worked deals with Uber and Lyft to legitimize airport pickups, so no amount of stories from an old timer is going to help if all you need is to register your vehicle and get an airport decal to stay out of trouble .

jgiun1 and RoWode12 like this.
  5. Merc7186

Merc7186

Driving:
    UberXL
    Why do I need to wait for your stories when I can go out and get my own?

jgiun1, 1974toyota and Cableguynoe like this.
  6. Tell me, what is this surge I keep hearing about?

7. It's what you get after someone pukes in your car?

8. My Story

My Story

Driving:
    UberX
    Hi guys and gals I wish could tell u the whole story in one day but it was whole lot of craziness that went on in the early days. Just sit back and hear it because some are relevant today. And I still drive part time out of Tampa.

jgiun1 likes this.
  9. How exciting.

It's too bad this craziness you speak of stopped and is no longer happening.

HotUberMess and jgiun1 like this.
  10. My Story

My Story

Driving:
    UberX
    This is a summary of what the whole story is all about and why I think is was important to write a book about it. You will see that all of it is factual and u yourselves will know its true because you do it ,see it and live it every day;

Us and the New Gig Economy

The New Shared Economy or Gig Economy as it is called has benefited millions of people around the world to become self-employed and financially independent by sharing their cars, homes and other products and services with other people for a specific period of time in return for financial gain. It also allowed the owners and vested institutions of these new economies to amass considerable wealth and influence in a relatively short period of time without the benefit to changes in local, state and federal laws that would enable all stakeholders to have an equitable share in its huge success. An attempt to interpret current laws to deal with challenges created by the new shared economy has in many cases, resulted in unlawful disruptions to the transportation and hospitality industries by billion dollar companies such as Uber and Airbnb in major cities around the world. While there is no doubt that the business models adopted by these entities are working and thriving well, creating millions of jobs and opportunities for us, they have nevertheless used every aggressive tool in the playbook and engaged in deliberate unethical business practices to bully their way into the marketplace by taking full advantage of independent contractors such as, drivers and home owners who work for them, and the wholly unprepared and inadequately equipped regulatory agencies that are there to protect us.

This book was written to share my experiences with readers to take a look from a basic level how peoples’ lives are affected by working in the New Gig Economy that transforms the way we work, with the freedom to work anywhere and anytime, and to draw attention to the downsides of working with companies like Uber in the new economy and its relationship to local and state agencies, law enforcement, its customers and most importantly the strange and complicated relationship with its drivers of which I was a part of for eight unforgettable months that changed my life.

I would like to take this opportunity to recognize the sacrifices of the hard working Uber drivers who worked long hours to make a decent living for their families and who will forever earn my huge respect and appreciation. Finally I would like to dedicate this book to my wife without whose tireless insistence, urging me to write this book to tell my story, would have never been written.

Pusher and jgiun1 like this.
  11. jgiun1

jgiun1

I'd like to be a chapter in your book called poopy pants.... I had two adult grown males with poopy pants all over my seats in the modern era.....you have the rights to take them from my posts here labeled poopy pants #1 & 2.

12. My Story

My Story

Driving:
    UberX
    Hi thanks j, am sure poopy pants must have been an awful mess, did it get on ur seat?

13. OrlUberOffDriver

OrlUberOffDriver

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    My StoryMy Story are you serious? This is Naples/Fort Myers you are talking about, just how much craziness can there be with all those old people?!
    I too got activated in June 2014 in Orlando and the only few issues were at the airport. Period.
    So, i’d say your book must be full of “fake news”.
    Hopefully you have NOT quoted any of the posts on these forums.
    Ps why does your profile say “ex Uber driver” yet you say:

Cableguynoe likes this.
  14. My Story

My Story

Driving:
    UberX
    Calm down. I just started back driving recently when I moved to Tampa. If you were around in Fort Myers then you would have known about some of the stories. You will hear all about it soon, be patient my friend.

15. It was like have a money tree in the back yard.

Cableguynoe likes this.
  16. ninja warrior

ninja warrior

Driving:
    Livery
    If this was a way to promote your book, it has been a horrendous failure. How am I supposed to buy it if I don't know its name?

TwoFiddyMile likes this.
  17. jgiun1jgiun1 , You ever think its your driving that makes people skit their pants? Especially with that crazed look on your face!

Look at those buggy green eyes.

& Yins from Pittsburgh!

127212[1].jpg 127212[1].jpg 127212[1].jpg 127212[1].jpg

127212[1].jpg 127212[1].jpg 127212[1].jpg 127212[1].jpg

18. Lol

19. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    We hear lots of stories. I hope this story is filled with bewbs.

20. 911 Guy

911 Guy

Good luck with your book. I hope you are marketing to non-drivers. No offense, but we live it and don't want to read about it. Maybe that's just me though. I wish you the best!

TwoFiddyMile and Juggalo9er like this.