Driving Uber in a Recession

dirtylee

How bad do you think it will be vs now?

Unemployment rate is <5% and drivers are still over saturated. Imagine how crazy it would get @ 8 - 9%.

Then there is the demand side of the equation. Pax discretionary consumer spending will be cut down. Less bar pax, vastly lower surges. The airports will also suffer due to less business travelers.

ABC123DEF

That 5% unemployment rate is exaggerated. It does not include severely underemployed people or those who have been out of work for 6 months or more...or who have given up on looking for a job. Additionally, it doesn't count those who work part time - but have the ability to work fulltime. It also does not count people who work jobs that do not match their experience, education, or fully utilized skill set.

It counts a lot of low wage/low skill service sector jobs that have been added since the economic downturn. It also counts those who work fulltime at gig economy jobs as being fully employed.

The employment rate is just a bunch of governmental crowing and horn-tooting. All of these reasons contribute to the reasons WHY there is so much driver saturation. Wages have been stagnating and decreasing for years while the cost of living increases. Employers aren't investing in training as they once were nor are they willing to snatch up a lot of the 40+ year old experienced workers who have a lot to offer. They claim there is a "skills gap" or that people have "rusty skills". People aren't stupid and have the ability to learn and contribute to society if given a chance.

The middle class in particular doesn't have the disposable income it once had. The upper and lower classes are expanding while the middle class is hollowing out.

Last edited:

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
That 5% unemployment rate is exaggerated. It does not include severely underemployed people or those who have been out of work for 6 months or more...or who have given up on looking for a job. Additionally, it doesn't count those who work part time - but have the ability to work fulltime. It also does not count people who work jobs that do not match their experience, education, or fully utilized skill set.

It counts a lot of low wage/low skill service sector jobs that have been added since the economic downturn. It also counts those who work fulltime at gig economy jobs as being fully employed.

The employment rate is just a bunch of governmental crowing and horn-tooting. All of these reasons contribute to the reasons WHY there is so much driver saturation. Wages have been stagnating and decreasing for years while the cost of living increases. Employers aren't investing in training as they once were nor are they willing to snatch up a lot of the 40+ year old experienced workers who have a lot to offer. They claim there is a "skills gap" or that people have "rusty skills". People aren't stupid and have the ability to learn and contribute to society if given a chance.

The middle class in particular doesn't have the disposable income it once had. The upper and lower classes are expanding while the middle class is hollowing out.

We may end up disagreeing about the WHY (which I don't want to do) but we can certainly agree on the WHAT. You hit the nail on the head.

Spotscat

How bad do you think it will be vs now?

Unemployment rate is <5% and drivers are still over saturated. Imagine how crazy it would get @ 8 - 9%.

Then there is the demand side of the equation. Pax discretionary consumer spending will be cut down. Less bar pax, vastly lower surges. The airports will also suffer due to less business travelers.
My area is over saturated at the moment - way too many drivers for number of available passengers. Part of this is because of the number of college kids who drive Uber, part of that is the number of drivers who come here from St. Louis and Kansas City thinking they can "make bank" driving on football weekends. Closing time surge that used to go as high as 5X and last for 30-45 minutes, is now barely 2X and over within 15 minutes.

But, tonight is a 6:30pm kickoff, so I dont expect there will be as many out of town drivers - it's a two hour drive back to StL or KCMO, they'd almost have to stay overnight to work the after game business. This is the last home game for four weeks, so I suspect next weekend will be better - no more out of town drivers.

And... as the weather gets colder I imagine there will be less drivers willing to drive in inclement conditions.

Two things I learned while I was trucking - When things are good, they will eventually get worse. When things are bad, they will eventually get better,

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
My area is over saturated at the moment - way too many drivers for number of available passengers. Part of this is because of the number of college kids who drive Uber, part of that is the number of drivers who come here from St. Louis and Kansas City thinking they can "make bank" driving on football weekends. Closing time surge that used to go as high as 5X and last for 30-45 minutes, is now barely 2X and over within 15 minutes.

But, tonight is a 6:30pm kickoff, so I dont expect there will be as many out of town drivers - it's a two hour drive back to StL or KCMO, they'd almost have to stay overnight to work the after game business. This is the last home game for four weeks, so I suspect next weekend will be better - no more out of town drivers.

And... as the weather gets colder I imagine there will be less drivers willing to drive in inclement conditions.

Two things I learned while I was trucking - When things are good, they will eventually get worse. When things are bad, they will eventually get better,

Sounds a lot like Madison. The first home game was awesome surge-wise and the Milwaukee drivers heard about it. The second home game had zero surge due to all the Milwaukee drivers.

Honestly I can't wait until it's below freezing and snowing. People won't want to walk or drive.

Rakos

Sounds a lot like Madison. The first home game was awesome surge-wise and the Milwaukee drivers heard about it. The second home game had zero surge due to all the Milwaukee drivers.

Honestly I can't wait until it's below freezing and snowing. People won't want to walk or drive.

That actually MAY...

cut down on the number...

Of casual drivers....

Snow and ice have problems...

Most casual drivers try to avoid...

Don't forget about $1000 deductible...

Rakos