• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Driving related injuries

Driving for Uber (and Lyft) can cause long term health injuries, some that you might not think of. We think of diet, circulation, and that sort of thing, but there are other serious issues that drivers need to be aware of, and perhaps take care to avoid causing themselves permanent damage.

Back and neck pain

I remember my first day driving. I put in four hours before going home. It was non-stop, and I felt just fine… until I got out of the car. I could barely stand up straight! My back had been hunched in a sitting position for all that time, and when I stood up rapidly my back said “Whoa there, big fella, slow down!”

1574137315958.png

I cannot speak to any other individual’s health, endurance, tolerance, etc. But I know that back issues are very common, especially among people who drive a lot. Some questions to ask yourself: Is your drivers seat and driving posture on the healthier side of the spectrum? How is the lumbar support? Does your back hurt after a few hours of driving? Does your back randomly hurt on other days? Are your hips all the way against the seat when you drive, like they should be? Are you leaning forward, or leaned back? Do you slump sideways, or sit up straight?

Suggestion: Make an effort to GET OUT of your vehicle more often. Help people with luggage or groceries, even if they don’t need it. Open doors for little old ladies. When you are waiting 2+ minutes and aren’t sure how much longer it will be, get out and stretch. In between pings, wipe the bugs and stuff off your windows. Take time to go into a restaurant to get your food or coffee, instead of hitting the drive thru. Get out and walk around when you fill up the tank.

Oh, and sit properly.

1574137337313.png

Back pain is some serious stuff, so don’t treat it like it’s nothing more than a mild headache.

Knee pain

Your right leg works the gas and the brakes (hopefully), and your knee stays slightly bent during your shift. This can cause soreness and inflammation in your knee over time. Long time drivers know what I’m talking about!

Much like the back pain issue, the easiest solution is to get out and stretch from time to time. If you let it get bad and end up going to a doctor for severe knee pain, they are going to send you to physical therapy. At PT, there is not much they can do other than flex your leg and stretch. YOU CAN DO THIS ON YOUR OWN!!! Get out and stretch your leg muscles from time to time in order to minimize or avoid future knee issues.

Shoulder pain

Funny story, my left shoulder started hurting one day. It was a numb throbbing pain that would come and go. This went on for about a month. Then one day the pain jumped from a 2 to an 8 on the Richter scale, and I went to urgent care. They took X-rays and saw nothing wrong with my shoulder. The doctor told me it was arthritis. I countered that extreme pain from arthritis wouldn’t just appear out of nowhere like that, but she reminded me that I was getting old, and that the solution was to take medication (for the pain) for the rest of my life. Bah!

1574137352602.png

The doctor also sent me to a sports physical therapist, who explained in great medical detail how my arm resting on the steering wheel at a 90 degree angle (from the shoulder point) was causing abnormal pressure which the human body isn’t supposed to have. Now consider that I have been doing this for about 3 years, and I drive for 6-14 hours at a stretch…. No wonder my shoulder hurts so much!

1574137363075.png

The key to avoiding shoulder pain is bent elbows when you drive. If you drive with your hands at 10 & 2, make sure your elbows are bent. If you drape your arm over the passenger seat, bend your elbow. The body is not designed to have the arm extended straight out for prolonged periods of time.

Do your research

I wrote this chapter to raise awareness. It’s up to you to take the next step. We all have access to this amazing thing called the internet, and in between rides you can research all sorts of topics, such as “correct driving posture”. Take the time and do your homework. Prevention is MUCH better than PT care or surgery, trust me!

Hope this helps!

Mr T

Comments

IR12

Driving for Uber (and Lyft) can cause long term health injuries, some that you might not think of. We think of diet, circulation, and that sort of thing, but there are other serious issues that drivers need to be aware of, and perhaps take care to avoid causing themselves permanent damage.

Back and neck pain

I remember my first day driving. I put in four hours before going home. It was non-stop, and I felt just fine… until I got out of the car. I could barely stand up straight! My back had been hunched in a sitting position for all that time, and when I stood up rapidly my back said “Whoa there, big fella, slow down!”

View attachment 379265

I cannot speak to any other individual’s health, endurance, tolerance, etc. But I know that back issues are very common, especially among people who drive a lot. Some questions to ask yourself: Is your drivers seat and driving posture on the healthier side of the spectrum? How is the lumbar support? Does your back hurt after a few hours of driving? Does your back randomly hurt on other days? Are your hips all the way against the seat when you drive, like they should be? Are you leaning forward, or leaned back? Do you slump sideways, or sit up straight?

Suggestion: Make an effort to GET OUT of your vehicle more often. Help people with luggage or groceries, even if they don’t need it. Open doors for little old ladies. When you are waiting 2+ minutes and aren’t sure how much longer it will be, get out and stretch. In between pings, wipe the bugs and stuff off your windows. Take time to go into a restaurant to get your food or coffee, instead of hitting the drive thru. Get out and walk around when you fill up the tank.

Oh, and sit properly.

View attachment 379266

Back pain is some serious stuff, so don’t treat it like it’s nothing more than a mild headache.

Knee pain

Your right leg works the gas and the brakes (hopefully), and your knee stays slightly bent during your shift. This can cause soreness and inflammation in your knee over time. Long time drivers know what I’m talking about!

Much like the back pain issue, the easiest solution is to get out and stretch from time to time. If you let it get bad and end up going to a doctor for severe knee pain, they are going to send you to physical therapy. At PT, there is not much they can do other than flex your leg and stretch. YOU CAN DO THIS ON YOUR OWN!!! Get out and stretch your leg muscles from time to time in order to minimize or avoid future knee issues.

Shoulder pain

Funny story, my left shoulder started hurting one day. It was a numb throbbing pain that would come and go. This went on for about a month. Then one day the pain jumped from a 2 to an 8 on the Richter scale, and I went to urgent care. They took X-rays and saw nothing wrong with my shoulder. The doctor told me it was arthritis. I countered that extreme pain from arthritis wouldn’t just appear out of nowhere like that, but she reminded me that I was getting old, and that the solution was to take medication (for the pain) for the rest of my life. Bah!

View attachment 379267

The doctor also sent me to a sports physical therapist, who explained in great medical detail how my arm resting on the steering wheel at a 90 degree angle (from the shoulder point) was causing abnormal pressure which the human body isn’t supposed to have. Now consider that I have been doing this for about 3 years, and I drive for 6-14 hours at a stretch…. No wonder my shoulder hurts so much!

View attachment 379268

The key to avoiding shoulder pain is bent elbows when you drive. If you drive with your hands at 10 & 2, make sure your elbows are bent. If you drape your arm over the passenger seat, bend your elbow. The body is not designed to have the arm extended straight out for prolonged periods of time.

Do your research

I wrote this chapter to raise awareness. It’s up to you to take the next step. We all have access to this amazing thing called the internet, and in between rides you can research all sorts of topics, such as “correct driving posture”. Take the time and do your homework. Prevention is MUCH better than PT care or surgery, trust me!

Hope this helps!
Lot’s of nuggets in this post. Good job!

tohunt4me

Back and neck pain

View attachment 379265

Oh, and sit properly.

View attachment 379266

Knee pain

Shoulder pain

View attachment 379267

View attachment 379268

Do your research

Hope this helps!
KIDNEY STONES

Charbenji

KIDNEY STONES
God damn it I had a kidney stone for the first time in my life last month. Thought I was going to die, no matter I was standing, laying down, curled up, squatting you could not find a comfortable position. Went to the ER thinking my appendix exploded. Nope just a stone.

UbaBrah

I get the lower back issues quite often but most annoying for me is foot pain. I get this kind of stress ache along the top of my pedal foot. It goes from about the middle of the foot to the upper ankle/lower shin area. I haven't found any good ways of addressing that other than wrapping the area and taking a break.

Last edited:

waldowainthrop

I recommend 9 and 3 wheel position for car control and posture. 10 and 2 is outdated from when cars had oversized steering wheels. Holding at 12 is also terrible for posture and very unsafe in the case of an airbag deploying.

I never hurt while I drive which is inexplicable except that I have excellent driving posture and I do take breaks outside the car.

doggerel

Yup. I have all of it.

Deep, dull neck pain. Shoulder soreness. Chest and ribcage soreness. Left arm aches and pain in fingers. Stiff back. And so on.

Whenever all of these things begin to pile up on me and cause me to be miserable, I begin getting out and stretching between rides, and within a day or two begin to feel better.

BigBadJohn

God damn it I had a kidney stone for the first time in my life last month. Thought I was going to die, no matter I was standing, laying down, curled up, squatting you could not find a comfortable position. Went to the ER thinking my appendix exploded. Nope just a stone.
Statistics show if you experience kidney stones once, you will have more.
Try this to prevent experiencing the excruciating pain of a kidney stone in the future. Have it on hand in case you develop another stone, this will disolve the stone in an hour or so. Don't ask me how I know...
stoneclr.com

BigBadJohn

which is why after you have had them you start guzzling water so u don't get them again......
Water is certainly smart, but is not a guarentee you won't develop new stones. Several different types of kidney/ gallstones and their chemical makeup and your bodys ability to pass them undetected not same for everyone.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
I do about 2-3 hours of Tai Chi per week. Simple stretching (which is 50% of Qi Gong) fixed all of my back and shoulder issues that started up in my mid 30s. I am in better shape at 45 than I was at 33, from this very basic and simple set of routine stretching and meditation.

itsablackmarket

For those who are hyper aware of potential threats to your life, doing an activity that is consider statistically more dangerous than police work will wreck havoc on you from the mere fact that your stress levels remain elevated for a prolonged period of time. Stress is considered one of, if not the most damaging thing to one's health. It's called the silent killer. To put it simply, we are being taken for granted in one of the most dangerous jobs in the world, and pax hate us for it because they were conditioned to hate us by the demonic marketing efforts by the industry that try to shift the focus to the driver instead of the real perpetrators of wrong doing, which is the industry itself.