Driving my Audi S4 around town...receiving plenty of tips

Marvin Harman

I think, even when it's basic fare, customers seem to appreciate riding in a nicer, newer, 2016 car. I have received tips over 50% of the time, and I enjoy the time away from the house. From $4 to $15, along with the rates...I'm making around $18 an hour. I don't need the money, but I do enjoy some late night conversations...since I work nights anyway. Plus, the xl rates are decent. I was thinking of driving my wife's 2017 Touareg, since I would qualify for SUV as well. But, at 19 mpg, and huge depreciation costs...probably wont be doing that. I've don't 20 trips so far...and not sure how many I will continue to do. For now, it's just fun, and passes the time.

Also, do any of you provide things for the customer? I have a "kit" in the car, that provides use of an Ipad and Beats headphones. As well as gum, candy, chargers, breath mints, baby wipes and I even added a warmer to the outlet for "hot towels." Maybe that's why I'm getting tips? Bottled Perrier and Fiji water is MUCH appreciated as well.

Marvin Harman

depreciation happens...dont sweat it...like getting old. Bet you get 2x with the Toureg

I may give it a try. I paid $54,000 for her SUV, but, it's such a beautiful ride...I'm sure the customers would appreciate it. Plus, it can hold a lot of luggage. Of course, the wife may say otherwise. Thank you! Nice to meet you.

Puppyrappa

Like about 90% of the drivers, you are seeing the good to start. Likely like 90% of thr drivers sometime in the next 3 months something will happen that will make you realize the juice isnt worth the squeeze.

Signal Twenty

glad you're enjoying it now. be glad you don't have to rely on this for income.

just my .02, driving an S4 for peanuts is nuts...but i'm sure some skell rider out there appreciates it.

jervin32189

To the OP, I sincerely hope that they treat your S4 way better than my, and most drivers', cars get treated. You have a beautiful car that I am sure you are proud of.

My 2013 Hyundai Sonata has 4 power windows that operate at different speeds due to constant door slamming. I have a gouge in one of my windows's tint film from an engagement ring that snagged, which will ultimately require me to get my windows re-tinted. I also have my rear air vent open/close valve smashed into the console probably from a foot.

My advice is that any and every item of damage should be reported immediately using the help feature in your trip list. Given your car's current value and the fact that it sounds like you might be partially driving UberX, I would inspect in between every trip.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

miamiu

Kelly blue book cost of ownership is .57 cent. Plus insurance and gas.

Your true costs are about .85 cents. The livery trade tried these under commercial use in Miami, at $5 per mile. Even at that it was a short lived experiment. A mkt..that I have, I use $1.05per mile for costs.

Not sure what your returns per mile are after dead miles, But a Audi is nothing but a bad idea for Uber.

Best of luck

The Mollusk

The dudes old. He's looking for something fun to do on the side. Can't really blame him for taking food off your plate.

MoreTips

Glad your enjoying Ubering now as with the right passengers it can be enjoyable. Just check back to update us on your thoughts after picking up a rider heading to do laundry, after they load your vehicle down with smelly BO infused dirty clothes. My advice, if you see this coming run run run. Just explain if caught by the rider of a "family emergency."

Good luck and please check back after a horror story, calling it quits, or if you continue enjoying Ubering.

Taxi818

If he thinks they care about his car. Yikesif your service is good. You will get tipped. Talked to uber driver in a tesla SUV. He paid 94k. Will take lots of trips to pay off. Even with tip. Too bad he has dong in door as idiot hit it by mistake with grocery cart.

Ubertimes

I think, even when it's basic fare, customers seem to appreciate riding in a nicer, newer, 2016 car. I have received tips over 50% of the time, and I enjoy the time away from the house. From $4 to $15, along with the rates...I'm making around $18 an hour. I don't need the money, but I do enjoy some late night conversations...since I work nights anyway. Plus, the xl rates are decent. I was thinking of driving my wife's 2017 Touareg, since I would qualify for SUV as well. But, at 19 mpg, and huge depreciation costs...probably wont be doing that. I've don't 20 trips so far...and not sure how many I will continue to do. For now, it's just fun, and passes the time.

Also, do any of you provide things for the customer? I have a "kit" in the car, that provides use of an Ipad and Beats headphones. As well as gum, candy, chargers, breath mints, baby wipes and I even added a warmer to the outlet for "hot towels." Maybe that's why I'm getting tips? Bottled Perrier and Fiji water is MUCH appreciated as well.

I do not provide anything at

.86 minus 25% .67
1.21 minus 25% .91

That's not enough to pay for all the wear and tear
You need a 1.50 per mile
To afford
Tires
Brakes
Shocks
Massive vehicle depreciation

No freebies!!!

R James

It's all fun and games until someone throws up in your wife's car!