• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Driving in Two Cities

TVSUber

How can someone drive mainly in Houston and then once a month on weekends in Austi?. My real job takes me to Austin once a month and I would like to drive there on the nights I go after work.

ZootSuiter3

You might have to get with the City of Austin for your TNC permit. different cities, different rules.
How can someone drive mainly in Houston and then once a month on weekends in Austi?. My real job takes me to Austin once a month and I would like to drive there on the nights I go after work.
might have to get w

Old Rocker

At the training session I attended this week, they said you could, but you have to let them know in advance so they can get you set up in that city. They said if you have the Houston TNC license, you are good to go in any Texas city.

I thought about hitting Austin (I used to live there and I can crash at a relative's house) for SXSW and ACL and the other large conventions. Not sure about the Raggae fest... don't want my car to smell like a blunt. Wouldn't drive during the ROT Rally either, hauling pax out to the fairgrounds and back, since I'd probably be more in need of a ride than be able to drive.

Of course, there will be 10,000 Uber and Lyft drivers there with the same intentions.

Fuzzyelvis

I emailed and specifically asked and after the emails where they didn't read mine I was finally told they don't have that info (CSR anyway) but they'll pay fines.

I asked about what I was supposed to do about getting home and working if my car was impounded and they said that's not covered...then I asked how Uber can not know where it is legally operating.

Crickets after that question.

Old Rocker

Ran across this on the Internet today, dated August 11...

"The bill’s sponsor, Republican Rep. Chris Paddie, said he wants to avoid a patchwork of regulations across the state. Already, Houston has a strict ordinance that requires drivers to get permits — which requires fingerprinting — that Uber says left it with a fraction of the drivers it has in other cities. Similar rules were adopted in San Antonio, prompting both Uber and Lyft to leave."

Old Rocker

When I open driver app in Austin it says my vehicle not approved
Vinnie from Uber did say in a meeting that you had to let them know in advance so they could get you set up. I'm definitely gonna try to hit SXSW and ACL. Heck, we should get several of us to share an airbnb and work out of there. I have a relative in the area, but he's all the BFE way past Waverly. I might even go for some warm up weekends before hand. Unlike Houston, I know where all the strip clubs are in Austin... at least the ones where I could be reasonably sure they wouldn't get a shiv in the kidney.