Driving in SF Bay Area - Top 3 Bad Driving Phenomena

elelegido

There are three driving maneuvers that only seem to happen in this local area. Other drivers in CA or in other states do not seem to do them. I don't know why they are specific to here. The first two could be explained by the amount of pot people smoke here. The third cannot.

1) The freeway entrance ramp slow-you-down. This is my number one pet peeve. You're driving along the freeway at 65mph in the right lane. Every. single. car that enters the freeway will do so at 45-50 mph. They will not attempt to match freeway traffic speed before pulling onto the freeway from the on ramp; instead they will pull out in front of you and make you brake. Then, once they have slowed you down to 45-50 mph, they will accelerate up to normal freeway speed. Why do this? It is a huge dooshbag maneuver.

2) The traffic light petit prix. When the light turns green, 95% of drivers wait for at least one full second. You then see them take their foot off the brake and they then accelerate as slowly as they can off the stop line. Then they accelerate as slowly as they can up to the speed limit. What's the point in this? When it's time to stop, stop. When it's time to go, go. Many drivers do shoot red lights here, but you just turn your head in both directions when the light turns green, and then you go.

3) The lane owners. In SF, each driver owns the piece of road between his front bumper and the rear bumper of the car in front, and no fecker is allowed to move into your lane, for any reason. It doesn't matter if they need to move across to turn onto another street, or need to avoid a stopped car in their lane, or any other reason. If someone signals that they need the lane ahead of your car, you accelerate and close the gap to prevent them from doing this. If they ignore your blocking action and decide to take the lane anyway, then you throw a tantrum and lay on your horn for 30+ seconds.

/rant

yucklyftline

There are three driving maneuvers that only seem to happen in this local area. Other drivers in CA or in other states do not seem to do them. I don't know why they are specific to here. The first two could be explained by the amount of pot people smoke here. The third cannot.

1) The freeway entrance ramp slow-you-down. This is my number one pet peeve. You're driving along the freeway at 65mph in the right lane. Every. single. car that enters the freeway will do so at 45-50 mph. They will not attempt to match freeway traffic speed before pulling onto the freeway from the on ramp; instead they will pull out in front of you and make you brake. Then, once they have slowed you down to 45-50 mph, they will accelerate up to normal freeway speed. Why do this? It is a huge dooshbag maneuver.

2) The traffic light petit prix. When the light turns green, 95% of drivers wait for at least one full second. You then see them take their foot off the brake and they then accelerate as slowly as they can off the stop line. Then they accelerate as slowly as they can up to the speed limit. What's the point in this? When it's time to stop, stop. When it's time to go, go. Many drivers do shoot red lights here, but you just turn your head in both directions when the light turns green, and then you go.

3) The lane owners. In SF, each driver owns the piece of road between his front bumper and the rear bumper of the car in front, and no fecker is allowed to move into your lane, for any reason. It doesn't matter if they need to move across to turn onto another street, or need to avoid a stopped car in their lane, or any other reason. If someone signals that they need the lane ahead of your car, you accelerate and close the gap to prevent them from doing this. If they ignore your blocking action and decide to take the lane anyway, then you throw a tantrum and lay on your horn for 30+ seconds.

/rant
Regarding #3, I'll only allow you to merge ahead if I don't think you'll be a liabilty at every other stop sign/light. If I see you lolly gagging, looking at your phone, driving too slow, unsure, or any other form of timidness, you're not getting in my lane. Hope the guy in back lets you in, because you're not slowing me down.

On the other hand, I appreciate when someone makes a strong lane change ahead of me. It's peace of mind knowing they'll be aggressive on the road ahead

SimonTresure

Only can let you know something about the #2 phenomena.
Some people like to do jogging in the city, rush onto to the crosswalk from behind those standing still people in the very last second. The speed would vary on individual. Better late than sorry. Or would be an idiot+.

tohunt4me

/rant
1.) I hate also.more widespread than you think.

2.)I often wait at Green also.
I have seen many fancy wrecks at a " green" light. Red means floor it to some people.

3.) Passive aggressive .hate them.

I have also noticed what I call the
" Florida Phenomenon"
The need to drive 10 miles under the speed limit in the left passing lane.
Why ?almost always Florida plates doing this.

Gibman73

You're only scratching the surface here, in regard to number 3 though the OP is correct and there's actual legality of right of way requiring an opening be given to vehicles requiring entry to your lane. Having said that it's not something cops are going to enforce but more of something insurance companies will use to dissect fault in an incident.

My bigger gripes occur at intersections, predominantly how all of San Francisco seems to have forgotten how stop signs work and now that I drive UBER I realize how much time people waste at stop signs waving other people on or when two people are both waving each other on then they both drive at same time and then both have to stop again and so on. Seriously if I had a buck for every 4 way stop I've come to and seen 3 different people trying to out courtesy each other, it's a frigging stop sign if you stopped first then go, if you're unsure don't wave and 90 percent of the time someone else will probably wave. I never wave and refuse to, either you go or you wave and I go.

Another intersection nuisance is the disregard of turning laws and 2 or more lanes of same direction traffic. Example: you want to turn left onto a street and people coming from the other way want to turn right onto the same street. The law states that you are to turn into the lane nearest you, or also the lane you're turning from, meaning you're in the right lane turning right then turn into the right lane. If you're in the left lane turning left then turn into the left lane this is so if possible we can all turn together at the same time. I see people constantly turn right into the left lane. It's not commonly cited, but I know for a fact that they love citing this in Alameda.

Regarding freeway driving, no one likes a lane sheriff, or parade leader, these people who occupy lanes and refuse to maintain the flow of that lane or move over to let the flow resume, though this is not Bay Area specific and happens coast to coast. Not just this but it happens incredibly often on the bay Bridge to see 4 different cars all matching the same speed in 4 different lanes, so annoying. Blind spot floaters are a major Bay Area problem that seems unique to the area, people who literally seem to intentionally linger where you can't see them. Modern cars have less visibility than cars of just about any other time in motoring history, granted its for the sake of safety and improved strength of the vehicle. Air bags and structural rigidity have caused windows to shrink drastically in some cases creating more blind space and some people just seem to love hanging right there in that little spot where I have to look back over my shoulder and double check. Another thing I've noticed generally about maybe just my year/model of Prius is how well the A pillar hides pedestrians stepping into crosswalks, not a good thing and it really does just kinda block them outta my view perfectly.

elelegido

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And I can list a laundry list of other things.
Personally, without sounding racist or anything, there are A LOT of bad bad Asian drivers on the road that should not be behind a wheel.
There's lots of bad driving from all the races. If I'm bored I'll play the "Who are you" game. When another driver commits an act of dooshbaggery on the road and I can't immediately see the driver, I'll make a guess and then see if I'm right if I pass them or they pass me. For example, the driver of a BMW closing in on you fast from behind, playing freeway slalom in and out of the cars and generally driving like an entitled díck will obviously be a young white male. A large, late model SUV being driven relatively slowly but which pulls out deliberately in front of you on the freeway will be driven by a middle aged white female. Etc etc

Last edited:

elelegido

Only can let you know something about the #2 phenomena.
Some people like to do jogging in the city, rush onto to the crosswalk from behind those standing still people in the very last second. The speed would vary on individual. Better late than sorry. Or would be an idiot+.
Ah... the joggers. I'd forgotten to mention them. When I was 3 years old, my mother told me not to run out in front of cars. Three years old. Why do these Millenials think it's a great idea to sprint out in front of cars stopped at stop signs? And if you're putting your foot on the gas ready to cross the empty crosswalk and they suddenly dart out in front of you from nowhere, they look at you as if you've committed the crime of the century. Wankers.

Speaking of joggers, I picked up a couple of Millenial women in full jogging gear from Fort Mason one morning. "Whoo! What a run!", said one. "Whoo, yeah!", said the other one. Then I drove them back to their residences in Pacific Heights. I guess it was too difficult to jog up the hill...

yucklyftline

bay Bridge to see 4 different cars all matching the same speed in 4 different lanes, so annoying.
I pick the weak link and tailgate til they speed up and allow me breathing room.

After so many years driving the bay bridge, I still don't know which is considered the fast lane. Westbound, I'll use the right and merge to the far left around the tunnel. Eastbound, anyone's guess. There's always roadwork or a vehicle parked in one of the lanes slowing everything down.

I wish waze had a feature to designate which lane the accident/pothole/vehicle on shoulder is located.

elelegido

all of San Francisco seems to have forgotten how stop signs work and now that I drive UBER I realize how much time people waste at stop signs waving other people on or when two people are both waving each other on then they both drive at same time and then both have to stop again and so on. Seriously if I had a buck for every 4 way stop I've come to and seen 3 different people trying to out courtesy each other, it's a frigging stop sign if you stopped first then go, if you're unsure don't wave and 90 percent of the time someone else will probably wave. I never wave and refuse to, either you go or you wave and I go.
Yeah...

If I get to a four way stop and the other person does that over-cautious, dilly-dallying crap then I just hit the gas. If you're going to go, go; if you're just going to arse about then you can stay there and then do what you want when I'm gone.

elelegido

Other members of the I-drive-with-my-head-up-my-ass brigade are the ones who like to stop for invisible stop signs such as the ones which don't exist / aren't there on Clement St in the Richmond. As if there weren't enough real stop signs in SF :rolleyes:

yucklyftline

Other members of the I-drive-with-my-head-up-my-ass brigade are the ones who like to stop for invisible stop signs such as the ones which don't exist / aren't there on Clement St in the Richmond. As if there weren't enough real stop signs in SF :rolleyes:
I gotta admit, my hearts skips a beat sometimes when I find myself in the intersection with a car waiting in the opposite direction and on the adjacent street. Feels like I just ran a stop sign, but I have to remind myself I'm in the right

elelegido

I gotta admit, my hearts skips a beat sometimes when I find myself in the intersection with a car waiting in the opposite direction and on the adjacent street. Feels like I just ran a stop sign, but I have to remind myself I'm in the right
I was stopped at a side street off Judah a while ago, waiting to cross. A car came along Judah from the left and stopped before me at an invisible stop sign. I sat there, looking at him, and he sat there looking at me. I didn't feel like messing around waiting for idiots that day, so I pulled out. There was traffic coming the other way along Judah, which I could see was not going to stop for an invisible sign, so I only pulled out half way, effectively blocking the invisbile sign guy. He then throws his hands up in the air as if to question why I was then stopped in front of him. I couldn't help but smile. The guy moved off after I'd cleared the intersection, guaranteed not to have any clue of what had just happened there.

elelegido

I have also noticed what I call the
" Florida Phenomenon"
The need to drive 10 miles under the speed limit in the left passing lane.
Why ?almost always Florida plates doing this.
Also a CA driving practice. The solution seems to be tailgate the offender at a distance of 2 - 3 feet from their back bumper until they move over.

Which brings us to tailgaters. I don't hog the fast lane or left lanes, but still there are those who tailgate drivers in the right lanes, when all they have to do is use one of the left lanes to overtake. Tailgaters don't have any effect on me, though. To me, when someone tailgates it means (a) "my windshield is dirty - please spray your windshield so that your washer fluid is blown back all over mine" and/or (b) "you are driving too fast - please slow down".