1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Driving in Charlottesville

Discussion in 'Charlottesville' started by UberRVADriver, Nov 8, 2014.

1. I live in Richmond but have driven for Uber in Charlottesville several times. It's been very lucrative every time. For whatever reason, there aren't very many Uber drivers in Charlottesville so surge pricing becomes active pretty quickly on Friday & Saturday nights. UVA homecoming weekend I made $268 in 4 hours, almost all very short trips.

Our Uber RVA driver accounts work just fine in Charlottesville. Anyone else driven up there? On busy nights it might even be worth it to spend the hour each way down I-64 (if your car gets good gas mileage)

2. Uber Roanoke Robert

Uber Roanoke Robert

Driving:
    UberX
    I live in the Roanoke/Blacksburg area so it would be a longer drive at 35 mpg. I also registered an account there to receive incentives, but not driven there yet.

I wonder how it is on regular weekends and what guarantees they have, if any? Just had registration finalized this week so haven`t seen emails yet.

I do plan on driving up for the Miami game. I use a Garmin so I`ll drive about anywhere.

3. uberdc/Virginia

uberdc/Virginia

Driving:
    UberX
    Sounds great. Are there ever any traffic jams? It seems like a sleepy southern town except for the university.

4. Go3Team

Go3Team

I was thinking about driving out there last night, but I was told by someone else that RVA doesn't work in Charlottesville. I might have to give it a try.

5. Roogy

Roogy

That's where I went to college! Live in Seattle now. Go Hoos!

Jose_A likes this.
  6. Uber Roanoke Robert

Uber Roanoke Robert

Driving:
    UberX
    RVA should work anywhere in VA. My Blacksburg account will stay active driving through Charlottesville, Richmond and DC as I recently did it a few weeks ago to spend the weekend in DC. I just have separate accounts for incentives.

7. Hi all,

I've been lurking for the past 6 weeks. I live in Charlottesville and I drive quite a bit. Unfortunately Uber has also flooded this market with way more drivers than demand meets. The past few weeks I've made way more money through the guarantees... I average around 1 trip an hour until 9pm then barely 1.5 trips an hour during the higher guarantee. Unless a special event is going on like a concert, UVA game, or holiday it's hard to make money in CHO. I've actually considered no longer driving unless all those extra drivers stop driving due to such low demand. I've even seen a guy driving an SUV here even though we only have UberX... Smart...

As far as driving, my app works in Richmond. I tried it while driving back to Charlottesville from RIC airport and sure enough got a ping. I'm curious if it works in Blacksburg, might be worth it to drive out there during Tech games. Same for Roanoke. Is it pretty crazy out there?

8. Go3Team

Go3Team

I drove out to Charlottesville last week. I had the app on the entire time, and was getting ready to turn around to go back home. I got pinged and took a student to the student medical services.

9. Yeah if you were here during the day it's usually really slow unless there's some special event going on. That's why you don't see many cars. You can't even meet the 1 ride per hr for the hourly guarantee sometimes

10. Go3Team

Go3Team

That's Richmond too.

11. I was in Charlottesville again this past Thursday night - drove from roughly 11 PM to 3 AM and netted only around $50. Most of the trips were short $5-7 runs around UVA. Still didn't see very many other drivers on the customer app. I was already in town for my other, very occasional part time job; it wouldn't have been worth the time and gas money to go to C'ville just for Uber.

12. Uber Roanoke Robert

Uber Roanoke Robert

Driving:
    UberX
    App will work anywhere in VA, but you have to have an account for each area you want any guarantees for.

As for the "1 per hour" requirement, you don't have to literally have one every hour. They average them out. If you get 3 trips in 2 hours, you're covered for 3 hours.

If you come to Blacksburg/Roanoke for the game, be advised between the 2 cities I counted 22 drivers total. Thankfully 1/2 split to Roanoke...10+ is too much for BB in my opinion.

But for the game, I am willing to bet some of those Roanoke people will come this way.

13. Unfortunately Uber made the guarantees 1.5 rides per hr in CHO. And with this many cars on a Wednesday forget it. Not even worth the time

Screenshot_2014-11-19-11-00-52.png Screenshot_2014-11-19-22-05-19.png

14. William_RVA

William_RVA

How are the road conditions? Snow?