Driving in Boston but signed up under a different region

GoGreen

Hey everyone. Just signed up for Lyft and looking forward to making some extra cash.

I signed up to the Providence region, but I'm going to want to do some driving in Boston as well. Are there any restrictions or less pay for driving outside your region? Wondering if I should just flat out change over to Boston if there are any benefits to it.

Goodellsux

If you want to drive for Lyft in Boston, they will need to clear you with MA DPU via their background check, which includes a check of your MA driving record and a CORI report. That report contains any charges/court appearances you may have had in MA in your lifetime.

You can run your own CORI report for a minimal fee and you can view your MA driving record online. If there is anything on your CORI at all, I strongly suggest having it sealed if possible prior to having the DPU running it.

FYI, the DPU currently has very strict guidelines for being accepted as a driver in Ma. However, those guidelines are being modified and will be announced this coming Friday, 9/22.

Do you live in MA? Have you ever been licensed to drive in this state?

GoGreen

If you want to drive for Lyft in Boston, they will need to clear you with MA DPU via their background check, which includes a check of your MA driving record and a CORI report. That report contains any charges/court appearances you may have had in MA in your lifetime.

You can run your own CORI report for a minimal fee and you can view your MA driving record online. If there is anything on your CORI at all, I strongly suggest having it sealed if possible prior to having the DPU running it.

FYI, the DPU currently has very strict guidelines for being accepted as a driver in Ma. However, those guidelines are being modified and will be announced this coming Friday, 9/22.

Thank you for the great information. Very much appreciated.

And yes, I live in southern MA on the border of RI, so I do have a MA license. Been driving in this state for over 10 years. And my CORI is squeaky clean.

Goodellsux

Still a good idea to check your CORI and driving record, then compare to new guudelines coming out on 9/22, in case you need to head off / correct any errors before the DPU reviews the data

Golfermack

Drive to Boston, turn the app on, and see what happens. I bet you get pings and the pay will be at the Boston rate.

NHDriver

Hey everyone. Just signed up for Lyft and looking forward to making some extra cash.

I signed up to the Providence region, but I'm going to want to do some driving in Boston as well. Are there any restrictions or less pay for driving outside your region? Wondering if I should just flat out change over to Boston if there are any benefits to it.
Pretty sure they don't let drivers do that anymore. I tried to get approved to drive in Mass with both U/L. Both told me I need to have a Mass mailing address, Mass Registration and License as well as Mass insurance. If I change my base I would lose the ability to drive in NH. There are those who signed on early that once set up could drive anywhere in New England. U/L stop doing that, so I was told, because they have enough drivers now, but those who signed on early are grandfathered. I have tried twice to be able to drive NH/MA with no luck.

Good Luck to you. Let us know how you make out.

Goodellsux

Drive to Boston, turn the app on, and see what happens. I bet you get pings and the pay will be at the Boston rate.
If you don't have a MA clearance certificate, Lyft won't allow you to receive pings in MA, not just the airport but the whole state. . I don't know about Uber

Last edited:

GoGreen

If you don't have a MA clearance certificate, Lyft won't allow you to receive pings in MA, not just the airport but the whole state. . I don't know about Uber

I live in MA, so would my clearance automatically be from MA? I just signed up for RI because I'm closer to Prov. I emailed lyft support about it and they said I "may" be able to, and sent me the requirements for MA driving. Doesn't seem to be anything too difficult.

I suppose we'll see.

cdm813

Pretty sure they don't let drivers do that anymore. I tried to get approved to drive in Mass with both U/L. Both told me I need to have a Mass mailing address, Mass Registration and License as well as Mass insurance. If I change my base I would lose the ability to drive in NH. There are those who signed on early that once set up could drive anywhere in New England. U/L stop doing that, so I was told, because they have enough drivers now, but those who signed on early are grandfathered. I have tried twice to be able to drive NH/MA with no luck.

Good Luck to you. Let us know how you make out.

I just changed my base to Boston earlier this year. I live in NH, have a NH mailing address and NH license. Went through CORI and passed. Been driving in Boston ever since.

NHDriver

I just changed my base to Boston earlier this year. I live in NH, have a NH mailing address and NH license. Went through CORI and passed. Been driving in Boston ever since.
I asked U/L in June and August. They told me no. I carry 4.94 on Uber and 4.96 for Lyft so it is not because of my ratings.

Goodellsux

I asked U/L in June and August. They told me no. I carry 4.94 on Uber and 4.96 for Lyft so it is not because of my ratings.
If you are driving elsewhere, the only reason you can't drive in mass is because you need the clearance certificate. Ask Lyft and or Uber to submit you and you'll find out pretty quickly whether or not you can drive in Massachusetts

NHDriver

If you are driving elsewhere, the only reason you can't drive in mass is because you need the clearance certificate. Ask Lyft and or Uber to submit you and you'll find out pretty quickly whether or not you can drive in Massachusetts
alright thank you I will try again.

GoGreen

Have you been able to ride in NH since the switch? I've signed up for Lyft (still waiting on background check), but have been told by Lyft driver support that I can't drive in two regions. Signed up for Providence since I live in southern MA, but was hoping to drive in both RI and MA.

Does Uber have this problem as well? I'm starting to think it's just a MA thing and I should sign up for Boston under Uber and and I'll be good to go for RI.

smoran26

Have you been able to ride in NH since the switch? I've signed up for Lyft (still waiting on background check), but have been told by Lyft driver support that I can't drive in two regions. Signed up for Providence since I live in southern MA, but was hoping to drive in both RI and MA.

Does Uber have this problem as well? I'm starting to think it's just a MA thing and I should sign up for Boston under Uber and and I'll be good to go for RI.

I live in a Mass town that borders RI (Blackstone) so I signed up in Worcester, but was sent an email saying I'm approved to drive all of New England. If you have a Mass license and address you will be able to drive Boston - just email and ask them what you need to do. Best of luck. (And the Boston rates are MUCH higher than RI as I found out - I'm very new at this too)

cdm813

With Lyft my home region is Boston but I am able to pick up riders in NH as well. I don’t receive incentives (if there are any) for NH though.

Eric brookes

Has the DPU modified there guidelines yet for driving in MA? I had a DUI 25 years ago do I drive lyft in Providence RI. Look back should be 7 years tops!