Driving For Uber in Fort Lauderdale – FL

aflb6675

I am going back to school the get my AS Degree, so I thought i could make some money on my own time. Before deciding to drive for Uber, I did some research online about the experience other people had with the company. I read posts and watched many videos on youtube of experienced drivers giving some advice, sharing their estimated earnings, so on and so forth. I could not find posts of drivers working in Fort Lauderdale, the city where i live. So the reason I am posting this is because I want to share my overall experience and it might be useful for new drivers in this area or even encourage existing ones to share theirs.

I have been driving for a month and will not be driving much longer. After all the research I did, my perception was that anyone could make decent money driving full or part time. This was not the case.

Personally, I find the rates way too low. Most of the the time, Uber and other companies like Lyft (I also gave it a try, about the same rates, same result) are cheaper and offer a SUPERIOR service than a regular cab. You will have to keep your car in mint condition, be nice, speak English and be professional, otherwise,you are likely to get bad reviews and eventually deactivated (fired). And the reason Uber is so cheap is because the driver is responsible for expenses (gas, maintenance, depreciation).

My strategy was simple:

• Work the times of high demand (except during night hours, which might have put a dent on my earnings, but I decided i did not want to deal with drunk people).
  • Do not drive like crazy looking for the surge areas. Unless the surge is no more than a few miles away. I always worked early mornings taking advantage of the surge in rush hour, and nights no later than 10 pm (Surge in Ft Lauderdale is between 7 to 10 am in the mornings and nights most of the time).
  • Find a place to park between rides (save as much gas as possible).
  • Be nice to customers (I offered cold bottles of water, always helped them with the suitcases or groceries, change radio stations and always had additional charging cords).
The numbers:

To make a $100 -$120 a day (before expenses):

• I had to drive approx. 200 miles, work no less that 8 hours and sometimes i could not reach that number. (This was in Broward County, sometimes driving from the Ft Lauderdale Airport all the way to Miami Beach or Deelray).
Deductions:

• gas ($15-$20 every day in a new vehicle that gives 26 mpg)
  • the depreciation and maintenance of my car (at this rate I would drive approx. 48k miles a year working 5 days a week), which means I would have to change the oil about 9 times, buy 1 set of tires and do at least 1 tune-up.
If you have read to this point, you probably realize it is not worth it. At least it is not for me. I am not saying you or no one can not make money driving for uber. I speak for myself only. If someone tells me he works the Miami Beach and Key Biscayne areas and makes almost twice as much, driving half the miles as I do, I would believe him.(The surge in Key Biscayne is on almost all day long for what i have seen in the app). But I am not driving/moving to Miami.

Even if I get a job that pays $10/hour, I still will make more money than doing Uber.

I hope this might be useful for some of you out there, especially those who live in Broward County and are considering driving for Uber or Lyft.

Good Luck.

uberparadise

Most of the Broward county drivers had their rides seized by the cops. Heavy fines were incurred. Most still hoping Uber will reimburse them- no luck yet.

uberparadise

I am going back to school the get my AS Degree, so I thought i could make some money on my own time. Before deciding to drive for Uber, I did some research online about the experience other people had with the company. I read posts and watched many videos on youtube of experienced drivers giving some advice, sharing their estimated earnings, so on and so forth. I could not find posts of drivers working in Fort Lauderdale, the city where i live. So the reason I am posting this is because I want to share my overall experience and it might be useful for new drivers in this area or even encourage existing ones to share theirs.

I have been driving for a month and will not be driving much longer. After all the research I did, my perception was that anyone could make decent money driving full or part time. This was not the case.

Personally, I find the rates way too low. Most of the the time, Uber and other companies like Lyft (I also gave it a try, about the same rates, same result) are cheaper and offer a SUPERIOR service than a regular cab. You will have to keep your car in mint condition, be nice, speak English and be professional, otherwise,you are likely to get bad reviews and eventually deactivated (fired). And the reason Uber is so cheap is because the driver is responsible for expenses (gas, maintenance, depreciation).

My strategy was simple:

• Work the times of high demand (except during night hours, which might have put a dent on my earnings, but I decided i did not want to deal with drunk people).
  • Do not drive like crazy looking for the surge areas. Unless the surge is no more than a few miles away. I always worked early mornings taking advantage of the surge in rush hour, and nights no later than 10 pm (Surge in Ft Lauderdale is between 7 to 10 am in the mornings and nights most of the time).
  • Find a place to park between rides (save as much gas as possible).
  • Be nice to customers (I offered cold bottles of water, always helped them with the suitcases or groceries, change radio stations and always had additional charging cords).
The numbers:

To make a $100 -$120 a day (before expenses):

• I had to drive approx. 200 miles, work no less that 8 hours and sometimes i could not reach that number. (This was in Broward County, sometimes driving from the Ft Lauderdale Airport all the way to Miami Beach or Deelray).
Deductions:

• gas ($15-$20 every day in a new vehicle that gives 26 mpg)
  • the depreciation and maintenance of my car (at this rate I would drive approx. 48k miles a year working 5 days a week), which means I would have to change the oil about 9 times, buy 1 set of tires and do at least 1 tune-up.
If you have read to this point, you probably realize it is not worth it. At least it is not for me. I am not saying you or no one can not make money driving for uber. I speak for myself only. If someone tells me he works the Miami Beach and Key Biscayne areas and makes almost twice as much, driving half the miles as I do, I would believe him.(The surge in Key Biscayne is on almost all day long for what i have seen in the app). But I am not driving/moving to Miami.

Even if I get a job that pays $10/hour, I still will make more money than doing Uber.

I hope this might be useful for some of you out there, especially those who live in Broward County and are considering driving for Uber or Lyft.

Good Luck.
Actually I am kidding, now they just kick your ass and throw u in the ocean.