Driving for Uber and Lyft?

Cocobird

I know a lot of drivers are driving both Uber and Lyft. You may think you are making more money, but you are hurting yourself in the long term.

If both companies can have your labor, what's to keep Uber (and then Lyft) from cutting the rates further? You'll just supplement your income with the other company.

When the economy is good, workers earning naturally increase. When the economy is bad, earnings become stagnant or decrease. The reason is, when companies have to compete for labor, they will woe over employees from another company with a promise of better pay. Uber and Lyft are not competing for your labor and thus rates will continue to fall.

However, you are hurting yourself in the short term providing drivers for Uber so there is no shortage of drivers, and helping keep demand for Uber down by offering an alternative for passengers to choose from

The high amount of drivers and the alternative availability of LYFT means that demand for Uber no longer ever has a shortage of cars. Because drivers are not looking out for their long term, it becomes impossible to convince drivers that they are actually working against their best interest by driving for both companies.

A smart driver will choose one and supplement his income working for some other company rather than work for both.

Nolagal71

I know a lot of drivers are driving both Uber and Lyft. You may think you are making more money, but you are hurting yourself in the long term.

If both companies can have your labor, what's to keep Uber (and then Lyft) from cutting the rates further? You'll just supplement your income with the other company.

When the economy is good, workers earning naturally increase. When the economy is bad, earnings become stagnant or decrease. The reason is, when companies have to compete for labor, they will woe over employees from another company with a promise of better pay. Uber and Lyft are not competing for your labor and thus rates will continue to fall.

However, you are hurting yourself in the short term providing drivers for Uber so there is no shortage of drivers, and helping keep demand for Uber down by offering an alternative for passengers to choose from

The high amount of drivers and the alternative availability of LYFT means that demand for Uber no longer ever has a shortage of cars. Because drivers are not looking out for their long term, it becomes impossible to convince drivers that they are actually working against their best interest by driving for both companies.

A smart driver will choose one and supplement his income working for some other company rather than work for both.
It's almost like working at McDonald's on morning shift and Burger King evening shift only you get paid more at the burger joints.

DJF

I think you're wrong. From your responses that I've read here, it seems to be a trend.

Cocobird

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think you're wrong. From your responses that I've read here, it seems to be a trend.
Its actually not wrong. What would happen if the next time uber cut rates, all drivers stopped driving for uber?

tohunt4me

Companies DONT compete for labor anymore !

They IMPORT IT !

a lot of jobs never get posted.

They just place orders with labor services,and labor services import whatever they need.

You NEVER EVEN GET THE CHANCE TO APPLY OR COMPETE !

hawk6993

You know what they say " can't fix stupid" if I run both apps I get a higher chance of getting rides. Uber and Lyft flood the markets with drivers. A city that is tiny like New Orleans does not need 6-7 thousand drivers. Most of the business comes from 12 by 9 blocks which is called the French Quarter! I drover there for 14 months before moving to Orlando. I use to get 25-30 rides a night towards the end it was like 15-20 running both Lyft and Uber! Lyft was still really slow and would only get 15-20 rides a week on it. So your point is kind of lost and ill informed. As long as there is a rider in my backseat I don't care which company put them there I'm making $$!

Cocobird

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You know what they say " can't fix stupid" if I run both apps I get a higher chance of getting rides. Uber and Lyft flood the markets with drivers. A city that is tiny like New Orleans does not need 6-7 thousand drivers. Most of the business comes from 12 by 9 blocks which is called the French Quarter! I drover there for 14 months before moving to Orlando. I use to get 25-30 rides a night towards the end it was like 15-20 running both Lyft and Uber! Lyft was still really slow and would only get 15-20 rides a week on it. So your point is kind of lost and ill informed. As long as there is a rider in my backseat I don't care which company put them there I'm making $$!

That's right. You can't fix stupid. That's exactly why I expect Uber drivers to be mad when Uber cuts the rates to 60 cents in January when they had the opportunity to switch over to LYFT completely and deplete Uber's driver pool and forcing around the clock surges, they didn't even think about it.

You see, Uber will cut the rates again, as they do every year, and Uber drivers will continue to drive for LYFT and UBER and somehow convince their selves that Uber won't cut the rates to 30 cents the next year.

Like you said, can't fix stupid.