Driving During The Day

RightTurnClyde

I don't drive daytime (never have), but I have this week free of my normal schedule, so I'm giving it a try. Early this morning I got some surge rides and am now sitting out rush hour (also no surge where I'm at). Just questioning you all if surges pop up regularly in the daytime or is it pretty flat all around? Not asking about personal secret hotspots but more of a very general guide for the daytime if you care to share... Thx

Last edited:

PTCGUY

I don't drive daytime (never have), but I have the this week free of my normal schedule, so I'm giving it a try. Early this morning I got some surge rides and am now sitting out rush hour (also no surge where I'm at). Just questioning you all if surges pop up regularly in the daytime or is it pretty flat all around? Not asking about personal secret hotspots but more of a very general guide for the daytime if you care to share... Thx
I go out at 10 quite often and find it fairly flat on surges. Usually a lot of short runs of people just running here or there. I keep somewhat busy but nothing to write home about.

RightTurnClyde

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thx for responding, I have my night game down solid after doing this a long while. Day game is a bit different as I usually never have traffic to factor in late night and am unfamiliar with the usual surge zones.

*By the way to everyone, my app (iOS) has just started removing the red surge zones if I switch apps (like checking Lyft) and then come back to uber. I have to stop and re-start the app to get it back. Hope it's just me; quite annoying!

NuberUber

Thx for responding, I have my night game down solid after doing this a long while. Day game is a bit different as I usually never have traffic to factor in late night and am unfamiliar with the usual surge zones.

*By the way to everyone, my app (iOS) has just started removing the red surge zones if I switch apps (like checking Lyft) and then come back to uber. I have to stop and re-start the app to get it back. Hope it's just me; quite annoying!
Yep sadly the app restart thing is not just you. I pretty much log out and back into the app everytime I complete a ride because the surges usually do not show up. I'm with you, super annoying!

As far as day driving, rush hour (6-9am) is the busiestthen dies down for a couple of hours after everyone gets to work. Lunchtime more people requesting rides so occasional surges, but more here and there instead of the entire city at one time like during rush hours.

The afternoon is kind of a trickle. It seems like everyone goes to work at the same time but stagger themselves when going home. I usually avoid the evening rush because it is lots of traffic and little to no surge. Then 7-8pm people will start going out to dinner or bars, etc.

Sorry for the ramble but hope it helps!

PTCGUY

Yep sadly the app restart thing is not just you. I pretty much log out and back into the app everytime I complete a ride because the surges usually do not show up. I'm with you, super annoying!

As far as day driving, rush hour (6-9am) is the busiestthen dies down for a couple of hours after everyone gets to work. Lunchtime more people requesting rides so occasional surges, but more here and there instead of the entire city at one time like during rush hours.

The afternoon is kind of a trickle. It seems like everyone goes to work at the same time but stagger themselves when going home. I usually avoid the evening rush because it is lots of traffic and little to no surge. Then 7-8pm people will start going out to dinner or bars, etc.

Pretty much spot on.

RightTurnClyde

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Are you kidding, ramble on anytime :-)

Thank you very much for the good info I really appreciate you and PTCguy.

Cogburn

In the city demand is very steady during the day. I work pretty much exclusively during the day. I get a ping within a couple of minutes of leaving the house and it never stops until I stop. I might catch a surge or two. A lot of airport runs obviously. The other great thing is you have a lot less dead miles. I easily average under 50% dead miles. On the airport runs I turn and burn. If you are smart about it you can even reduce those dead miles further. You catch some oddball very long runs out of the city every now and then.

The best part about working during the day is the clientele. My worst passengers are ones that just sit there and don't talk. Most are very nice and we have pleasant conversations. I'll trade a little less revenue (weekend bar crowd surges) for better clientele.

PTCGUY

In the city demand is very steady during the day. I work pretty much exclusively during the day. I get a ping within a couple of minutes of leaving the house and it never stops until I stop. I might catch a surge or two. A lot of airport runs obviously. The other great thing is you have a lot less dead miles. I easily average under 50% dead miles. On the airport runs I turn and burn. If you are smart about it you can even reduce those dead miles further. You catch some oddball very long runs out of the city every now and then.

The best part about working during the day is the clientele. My worst passengers are ones that just sit there and don't talk. Most are very nice and we have pleasant conversations. I'll trade a little less revenue (weekend bar crowd surges) for better clientele.
How many hours a week are you out of the house if you don't mind me asking.

Cogburn

How many hours a week are you out of the house if you don't mind me asking.
It can vary 15-25 right now. I just do this when I have free time. More during football season as I did work the weekend days in the city. Those were very good days, well as good as they can be right now with current rates.

Cogburn

What do you drive, Cogburn?
I drive X. I refuse pool except for very certain circumstances where I have learned it is pretty much a guaranteed min fare of net profit of $3.25 for driving a few city blocks with basically no dead miles.

Cogburn

I kinda figured that. I was talking about your vehicle.
I don't give out personal details on the internet. However I'll say it is an older vehicle that has been pristinely maintained so depreciation is not a factor. I get a lot of compliments on it actually and people are quite surprised when I tell them what year it is. Some have actually asked me if they accidentally ordered the wrong service. Also, it has been driven in the city all of its life and has survived the streets just fine.