1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Driving before/during Unite for Right march?

Discussion in 'Washington DC' started by wapo_reporter, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Hi there, folks! My name is Martine, and I'm a transportation reporter with the Washington Post. I'm working on a story about Uber/Lyft drivers who are concerned about the Unite for Right rally here in D.C. on Sunday, and how they're deciding whether or not they'll be driving on that day. If anyone on here has thoughts they want to share, I'd love to hear. message me on here.

Thanks in advance!
    Martine

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2018
    tohunt4me likes this.
  2. 3.75

If you're willing to report from a driver's stance and our plight we'll talk, otherwise there's no point.

It doesn't matter if a racist, narcissist, or whatever the person is gets in the back of our car. We're underpaid and we never get tipped because they think Uber does it for us (never did) and they think we're their personal limo despite UberX being marketed as a cab.

tohunt4me, ratethis, Drakkor and 3 others like this.
  3. Respectfully (and I do mean that), why don't you do a story about the new surge pricing scheme and how drivers and passengers are getting screwed. If you want to hear from many people in here about this issue regarding that disgusting March you may need to come down to our level and understand our reality. A rally? How we feel about it? You cover a story that affects us and our ability to make a living then I'd help you with this one because I have strong ideas about both.

By the way, I'm a fan of yours so I say these words as someone friendly to your work.

Cover our reality more frequently

4. New2This

New2This

Martine,

Prior to this week, I would've said 'if it's Surging high enough, I'll take anyone anywhere' but no more.

Uber implemented a new type of pay structure that is extremely unfair to drivers. Because of this, I wouldn't transport Mother Theresa and Gandhi this weekend.

Do you have any interest in a story on that in the future, giving driver's perspective?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Booberx, TahoeAl, UserPablo and 7 others like this.
  5. UberPotomac

UberPotomac

I don’t do “ white hate” on my UBER.
    Other than that. You Republican , Trump supporter, Democrat or Independent , is none of my business. Do you want to wear an MAGA HAT, no problem .
    I won’t go into a political debate with you.
    My job is taking you from A to B and as long as you are respectful, we will manage just find.

6. There is no incentive or even a good money to be made form these rides for me to pick up anyone who’s crazy and represents crazy views anymore. I m very underpaid.. Uber is taking 60 to 80 percent commission of the fare with this new sustem they implanted this week.
    If you asked me last week, I would have also told you if the pay is right I ll haul away anybody. But for $1-$3 extra.. nah.
    I’m not gonna Put my life in danger so greedy Uber can make money.

Also what I would do in Sunday is, crack up a beer.. and throw some sausage on the grill and not open my Uber app.

Booberx, 3.75, Chapindc and 1 other person like this.
  7. Why don't u get out there & talk to the idling rideshare scam victim drivers littering the streets of dc abt it?

On here u can do 15 min of reading on the latest posts & b able to put together a story of the sad reality of fuber drivers in DC, or leave us drivers aside since it wouldn't b much of an exciting story for ur readers & just concentrate on how fuber is ripping off riders by charging them whatever they feel like vs actual miles & minutes of travel(wich fuber still takes 25% from us) like trips to & from airports r always overpriced as if they're going somewhere ranging from 2 or 3 times(sometimes more) the distance & time of travel without a surge on the map, or how the rich ppl over pay on a trip that would already b overpriced on an average person

tohunt4me and 3.75 like this.
  8. New2This

New2This

Guys I will say one thing here.

I'm as pissed as the rest of you, if not more. However when dealing with the media, be respectful. They can make our side look very sympathetic, or make us look like whiny crybabies.

I realize I'm not one to be throwing stones here with posts lately, but attacking the reporters will either get us no coverage or make us look truly deplorable.

9. LowIQCrazyMika

LowIQCrazyMika

Booberx, 3.75 and Chapindc like this.
  10. I for one have not been disrespectful. I've done tons of media work in the past. These are adults, professional, and can take a rough outing. My job as someone trying to get my point across is to be direct, genuine, and passionate, angry even if the spirit moves me. But not disrespectful.

tohunt4me likes this.
  11. Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2018
    tohunt4me and HarcoCat like this.
  12. New2This

New2This

I'm trying to preempt it from devolving and giving us a better chance of getting our POV out

Dude please delete this

Yeah B I N G O

tohunt4me and yankdog like this.
  13. LowIQCrazyMika

LowIQCrazyMika

Lol
    I wasn't the one who posted a phone number here.
    I am just having some fun at the expense of a reporter
    I already called that number and it's real

LMAO

tohunt4me likes this.
  14. Hi -- thank you all for your responses and insights! (Even the salty ones!) I don't usually cover Uber issues (my days are largely spent writing about WMATA problems) so I wasn't aware of the changes in surge pricing pay. I'd definitely be interested to hear more about that, and report on it if it's a recent change. And I will reach out to some of you individually to hear your thoughts on the march on Sunday.

Thanks, and stay safe!

15. LowIQCrazyMika

LowIQCrazyMika

In all honesty
    If I do drive, I would drive any racist, white supremacists, anywhere for the right surge price and I would be wearing my MAGA hat and Make America Great Again t-shirt....I love those racists and white supremacists. They are awesome.
    I feel patriotic when I hang around them...the feeling is so awesome

Gladly do trips to Trump hotel in DC...

tohunt4me, kcdrvr15 and 3.75 like this.
  16. Anything u want to know abt the sad reality of a fuber driver I'm willing to provide proof of how fuber financially rapes us from most of the fare & ripoff riders from their money in the process, anything else I don't care for so count me out of ur interests on the Sunday march topic, thank you in advance

17. nutzareus

nutzareus

Driving:
    UberX
    Although Another Uber DriverAnother Uber Driver has no love lost for WUSA9 Russ Ptacek when he did investigative stories on ridesharing, I found it somewhat useful. I even offered him a ride once so he can see the ridiculous low fares we were getting when we got cut down to $1.02 per mile.

tohunt4me likes this.
  18. New2This

New2This

Ok I just talked to Martine, the reporter.

Very nice. While her focus is the March, she was interested in the Upfront Pricing, as well as the whole Charlotte Surge fiasco.

If she reaches out to you, take her up on it.

Martine, as promised here is one of the more egregious examples I mentioned.

20180809_164417.png

tohunt4me, Booberx, 3.75 and 4 others like this.
  19. Jo3030

Jo3030 Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    I will not be driving in this march.
    Honestly, with Uber's new scam surge system, they will have to do a LOT to get me to drive in DC.
    I mean, a LOT.

20. 3.75

I have a strategy and it doesn't involve KKK, Antifa, or any of these cookoos because I don't plan on driving near DC at all.

tohunt4me, KPax, Chapindc and 2 others like this.