Driving after surgery?

touberornottouber

So I have had a large abnormal mass on my neck/head area for about a year. It was kind of like having a golf ball grow out of the side of my head. :frown: It was suspicious for being cancer but after many CT scans, a core needle biopsy, and finally an excision biopsy they all have came up negative so far. I am very thankful for that.

Anyway last week I had that mass removed. They put me under and I had surgery to remove it. The surgery went perfectly thankfully. I had some bandages (4x4 guaze pad) and such around the incision but just took them off yesterday. Now there is no blood or anything. It just kind of looks like I have a football seam in the side of my neck. :/ I get the stitches removed on the 26th.

I have full movement of my neck back and luckily no pain -- at all really -- I guess in cutting part of my head it took out some nerves and muscles so I have a little numbness in that area which is likely saving me from some pain.

I've been driving around to the store and such for the last couple days without issues. I'd like to now maybe start driving again after the surgery. I haven't taken a ride since the 16th. I feel completely fine and capable of doing it but am worried about having issues with passengers due to seeing the incision/scar (luckily once my hair grows back it will probably no longer be very visible but that will take at least two or three weeks probably) . At the same time I'm getting kind of bored and could use some more cash after paying all these co-pays.

Has anyone done this shortly after a surgery? Did you have issues with people freaking out, etc? Just curious about what to expect.

Last edited:

sd1303

So I have had a large abnormal mass on my neck/head area for about a year. It was kind of like having a golf ball grow out of the side of my head. :frown: It was suspicious for being cancer but after many CT scans, a core needle biopsy, and finally an excision biopsy they all have came up negative so far. I am very thankful for that.

Anyway last week I had that mass removed. They put me under and I had surgery to remove it. The surgery went perfectly thankfully. I had some bandages (4x4 guaze pad) and such around the incision but just took them off yesterday. Now there is no blood or anything. It just kind of looks like I have a football seam in the side of my neck. :/ I get the stitches removed on the 26th.

I have full movement of my neck back and luckily no pain -- at all really -- I guess in cutting part of my head it took out some nerves and muscles so I have a little numbness in that area which is likely saving me from some pain.

I've been driving around to the store and such for the last couple days without issues. I'd like to now maybe start driving again after the surgery. I haven't taken a ride since the 16th. I feel completely fine and capable of doing it but am worried about having issues with passengers due to seeing the incision/scar. At the same time I'm getting kind of bored and could use some more cash after paying all these co-pays.

Has anyone done this shortly after a surgery? Did you have issues with people freaking out, etc? Just curious about what to expect.

Can you put a bandage on it to hide the incision until it heals?

touberornottouber

Can you put a bandage on it to hide the incision until it heals?

Well it is about 4-6 inches so a regular bandaid doesn't really work. I have to use a guaze pad with tape and that makes it stick out even more. Also with that on it kind of makes turning my neck a bit awkward (though I can do it). So I now usually just keep the coverings off and the incision exposed. The doctor says that it is safe now to keep uncovered.

There is no real blood or anything open. Like I said it just seems like I have football stitchign or something on the side of my head/neck. lol As a passenger would you rather see it covered?? I feel though that covering it just makes it more noticeable and makes the passenger wonder about what exactly is wrong with me whereas with it uncovered they can see and think "oh, he just had surgery on his head and it is healing".

KK2929

If it in on the left side of your neck/head, I would not worry. If on the right, maybe cover somehow. It has only been six days. Maybe keep the driving to shorter days for awhile and if any problems ( ill or fatigue) stop.

Also, very happy for you that your "visitor" was nothing serious.

Last edited:

touberornottouber

If it in on the left side of your neck/head, I would not worry. If on the right, maybe cover somehow. It has only been six days. Maybe keep the driving to shorter days for awhile and if any problems ( ill or fatigue) stop.

Yeah that is what sucks. It is on the right/back part of the head (behind the right ear) so very visible.

I pretty much feel 100% now believe it or not. I am very thankful. They gave me some oxycodone pills but I'm not taking it because I don't need it. No pain.

At this point the only potential issues really are with appearance and a passenger freaking out or something.

KK2929

Yeah that is what sucks. It is on the right/back part of the head (behind the right ear) so very visible.

I pretty much feel 100% now believe it or not. I am very thankful. They gave me some oxycodone pills but I'm not taking it because I don't need it. No pain.

At this point the only potential issues really are with appearance and a passenger freaking out or something.
--------------------
How about a floppy brimmed hat? Or a scarf of some type. I see men wearing all types of head gear. Or a large bandage if possible.
I'm sure the area around the stitches is red and swollen.
I know you said you were not taking the Oxy -- good - stay away from that Rx. It is extremely habit forming, as I am certain you know.

oldfart

Wear a hat? Or a shirt with the collar turned up
In my car the headrest would block their view somewhat

I’d drive
you might even get some sympathy tips

PioneerXi

I had 72 stitches put in Jan 3 from forehead, down nose and through top lip.

Was 10 days before I did, and first two days were at sunset hours. Did not want to advertise injury.

Last edited:

touberornottouber

I don't think a hat would cover it. It's where the head and neck meet -- a bit behind the ear. A scarf probably would but since I'm in Florida I don't see how I could pull that off.

I was looking for some flesh colored bandages but wasn't able to find anything that would work very well. Ideally it would be just a long strip about 1.5 inches wide and maybe 5 inches long. I'm hesitant to mess with it too uch as I wouldn't want the sticky part to get over the stitch and possibly rip it open when removing it.

So far I'm still lenaing towards just leaving it exposed. I mean if I can walk into a grocery store like this and not have all sorts of people staring, it ought to be okay right?

UberBastid

They gave me some oxycodone pills but I'm not taking it because I don't need it. No pain.
Do ya'll see why we have a drug problem in this country.
Oxy? Really?
Back when Oxy was first introduced to market it was for TERMINAL PATIENTS ONLY. Had a friend that was dying of cancer and she took it the last six weeks.
Now they hand it out for a broken arm, or outpatient surgery.

That doctor should be beaten.
Congrats to you for not taking them.

touberornottouber

I had 72 stitches out in Jan 3 from forehead, down nose and through top lip.

Was 10 days before I did, and first two days were at sunset hours. Did not want to advertise injury.

Wow! Good luck with everything I hope it all healed well for you. I'm lucky because I think very little will be visible for me once my hair grows back and the surgeon was actually a plastic surgeon so I think (hope) he knew what he was doing.

My family all thinks I should just go to it and not worry about anyone being negative over it because basically they would be scumbags to be like that. I kind of agree but I know some people feignt at the sight of blood or injury and I wouldn't want to upset/inconvenience anyone like that.
Post automatically merged:

Do ya'll see why we have a drug problem in this country.
Oxy? Really?
Back when Oxy was first introduced to market it was for TERMINAL PATIENTS ONLY. Had a friend that was dying of cancer and she took it the last six weeks.
Now they hand it out for a broken arm, or outpatient surgery.

That doctor should be beaten.
Congrats to you for not taking them.

Well I took one pill immediately after coming home from the surgery. I was thinking that the anesthetic would wear off and I would be in extreme pain later that night. I took the pill around 4:30pm. Around 6:30pm I started feeling lightheaded. Shortly thereafter I started projectile vomitting. I tried to lay down but every time I closed my eyes I would have these random "dreams" where I would be awake but seeing things. It was hell because although I was having these "dreams", I was really awake the whole time and not actually able to sleep! I would even have "dreams" about reaching down to grab the water to drink then I would realize "wait this isn't real". I sat in bed having these weird drug induced "Dreams" until about 4am when I was finally able to fall asleep for real for more than 10 minutes. After that experience I knew I was never going to take that crap again no matter how bad the pain was (thankfully I never had any significant pain). I've never experienced anything like that before in my life! I was very near calling 911 over it because it was that bad.

They gave me 28 pills. I tried to return the 27 unused pills to the doctor. They wouldn't take it. I tried to return it to the pharmacy. They wouldn't take it and suggested the police station. I've yet to try the police but will do that soon. You'd think they would make it easier to dispose of. I don't want to flush them because I know they are strong and I have read that flushing these drugs gets them back into the water supply.

Last edited:

UberBastid

They gave me 28 pills. I tried to return the 27 unused pills to the doctor. They wouldn't take it. I tried to return it to the pharmacy. They wouldn't take it and suggested the police station. I've yet to try the police but will do that soon. You'd think they would make it easier to dispose of. I don't want to flush them because I know they are strong and I have read that flushing these drugs gets them back into the water supply.
Pour vinegar, or bleach in the pill bottle, shake well.
Put the pill bottle in the garbage.

sd1303

Well it is about 4-6 inches so a regular bandaid doesn't really work. I have to use a guaze pad with tape and that makes it stick out even more. Also with that on it kind of makes turning my neck a bit awkward (though I can do it). So I now usually just keep the coverings off and the incision exposed. The doctor says that it is safe now to keep uncovered.

There is no real blood or anything open. Like I said it just seems like I have football stitchign or something on the side of my head/neck. lol As a passenger would you rather see it covered?? I feel though that covering it just makes it more noticeable and makes the passenger wonder about what exactly is wrong with me whereas with it uncovered they can see and think "oh, he just had surgery on his head and it is healing".

Okay, that’s a no go then.

I’d say just let the pax eat cake. Be prepared for them to ask you about it.

dauction

Try not to worry about it.. I have had over 15 Mohs surgeries over the years removing cancer .. sometimes I just show off the scars to intentional freaking people out ... Did you Visiit the Sandra Lee ..The Pimple Popper ..My wife is hooked on her show.. she specials in those large masses

Attachments

• 1555965631895.png
    1555965631895.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 17

mrpjfresh

Since you are not on meds, my only concern would be if you can turn your head enough to check blindspots or if the pax has left anything after the ride. If so, I really don't see why not. Glad you are doing well!

I had my gallbladder out a year and a half ago and was fit enough to return after a few weeks. The only thing was I had a lifting restriction for awhile and I let any airport pax know this. It wasn't an issue.

Tell your pax you were robbed & stabbed by a paxhole, and now you’re driving for tips & wages just to pay your medical bills.
My thoughts exactly. Have fun with it and turn it to your advantage!

A scarf probably would but since I'm in Florida I don't see how I could pull that off.
Well, you are close enough to Miami to maybe make it work. Just gotta play it right and go with the right scarf...

2380542.jpg

FLKeys

I would not worry about it, just get out there and start driving. If PAX ask, be honest with them, tell them you gave an Uber ride to an alien and had to have it's offspring surgically removed.

touberornottouber

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted for their input.

I've been driving now for a couple days and opted just to remove the bandages. There is just a little redness on the incision and that is it. No one has reacted negatively. In fact no one has even brought it up without my bringing it up first. So far my rating has also held up pretty well.

I have to say that my faith in humanity has been restored a little bit. :smiles: