• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Driving ACL. Was it worth it?

dssoper

Is it just me or did it
Well the amount they charge the pax no necessary pass to the driver as you know. And mostly you are only going to do 1 trip after 10 pm. But this ACL sucks big time!
Is it just me or did it completely die all over Austin tonight?

wilsonz83

Is it just me or did it
Is it just me or did it completely die all over Austin tonight?
Pax still inside and most locals will avoid going there now, but good luck with tonight's pick up. With so many ants maybe surge will be less than $10 Or no surge at all.

whiskeyboat

made some decent money, did a few sessions on Friday and Saturday grossed 368 for about 10 hours total
highest surge trip was 16

DrinkSoda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sunday night:

B3006FCE-7776-4FF5-BBB9-1E52827468AF.jpeg

10:25pm update: Was seeing $19 surge near Mopec & Bee Cave

Last edited:

AustinAD99

Have been running Lyft Lux only and killed it today...6 rides at just under $400 for 8 hours.
Mostly due to talking with pax and telling how the bulk of the ride fee is going to Lyft then asking them if it was cool to take a crazy long route. Not one pax had an issue and had many downloading RA! Lux pax after the show are just doing Lux to get picked up and are happy to be off their feet and in the AC.

Did figure one thing out this round...pax that use Lux to go to ACL tend to go late (4-6pm) as they just want to see the big bands. So next weekend I'll be taking it easy and sleeping late.

Had RA Premium on but no hits...pax would have saved sooo much dough had they used RA.

dssoper

Have been running Lyft Lux only and killed it today...6 rides at just under $400 for 8 hours.
Mostly due to talking with pax and telling how the bulk of the ride fee is going to Lyft then asking them if it was cool to take a crazy long route. Not one pax had an issue and had many downloading RA! Lux pax after the show are just doing Lux to get picked up and are happy to be off their feet and in the AC.

Did figure one thing out this round...pax that use Lux to go to ACL tend to go late (4-6pm) as they just want to see the big bands. So next weekend I'll be taking it easy and sleeping late.

Had RA Premium on but no hits...pax would have saved sooo much dough had they used RA.
I had a guy that said he always uses RA but it was $60 versus $20-ish with Uber. Maybe that's why no pings for RA...kinda weird, right?

AustinAD99

I had a guy that said he always uses RA but it was $60 versus $20-ish with Uber. Maybe that's why no pings for RA...kinda weird, right?
Hmmm,
Almost screwed myself on my last run of the night.
Pax got in and was saying the ride was going to cost her $200 (was from DT to out past Hutto).
Told her I'd take her on RA instead, she downloaded it but couldn't get it to connect.
Lucky for me. Took her with long route (clued her in to the Lyft rip-off of drivers). Fun ride (was worried as she was pissed as her SO left her at ACL) - dropped her off and asked if it was cool to keep the ride going. Ended ride about halfway back to Austin. Soaked up all but a few bucks of her $200 charge! :wink:

Reactions: DDW

wilsonz83

Hmmm,
Almost screwed myself on my last run of the night.
Pax got in and was saying the ride was going to cost her $200 (was from DT to out past Hutto).
Told her I'd take her on RA instead, she downloaded it but couldn't get it to connect.
Lucky for me. Took her with long route (clued her in to the Lyft rip-off of drivers). Fun ride (was worried as she was pissed as her SO left her at ACL) - dropped her off and asked if it was cool to keep the ride going. Ended ride about halfway back to Austin. Soaked up all but a few bucks of her $200 charge! :wink:
Lyft will charge them more if the ride destination changed or ended at the difference place. So eventually they may dispute it.

JustTreatMeFair

To make Money driving ACL you basically need to avoid the huge crowd seeking pickups at the drop off spots and work the outlying area. I did a lot of Campus to Austin HS drop Offs with Surge and limited my pickups to Seeholm or 3rd ST and farther North. I cancelled every pickup in the high surge areas where traffic would have tied me up and did a lot of short runs with Surge from 6.50 to $11 but mostly around $9.75 grossing a bit over $1100 for the 3 days.

It plays hell with your cancellation and acceptance scores but your init to get paid and a score doesn't pay for the gas.

Reactions: DDW

AustinAD99

Lyft will charge them more if the ride destination changed or ended at the difference place. So eventually they may dispute it.
Hope she didn't get charged extra, but good to know.
Had thought about that and was tempted to head back to the drop point but didn't.
Sigh.
I'll just say I forgot and ended ride once I noticed it.

wilsonz83

Hope she didn't get charged extra, but good to know.
Had thought about that and was tempted to head back to the drop point but didn't.
Sigh.
I'll just say I forgot and ended ride once I noticed it.
Yeap I am pretty sure bc upfront pricing only guarantee the preset destination. Even when the driver take a significant long route they will be charged more. Once I took a ride from near Renaissance to 35th and Lamar. the driver took a long ass route, was supposed to be 183 mopac to 35th, he took 360-mopac after the trip Uber adjusted the payment, instead of $45 for a select they charged me $69, I did dispute they gave me the money back.

Shinino

29 hours, about $790. Sunday night was the ONLY time that was worth it, from about 9p-11p. If things go the same way this coming weekend, I'll do my normal 5 hours Friday/Saturday night (maybe 6, going out at about 8:30 to get the surge near ACL) and then go out Sunday night around 8:30 - 11 PM or so, and call it good.

Red River / Cesar Chavez was BARREN Saturday night at 2 AM. Maybe 20 minutes of surge both Friday/Saturday night at 2AM, none at all Sunday night (which may be normal, I don't know)

AustinAD99

Yeap I am pretty sure bc upfront pricing only guarantee the preset destination. Even when the driver take a significant long route they will be charged more. Once I took a ride from near Renaissance to 35th and Lamar. the driver took a long ass route, was supposed to be 183 mopac to 35th, he took 360-mopac after the trip Uber adjusted the payment, instead of $45 for a select they charged me $69, I did dispute they gave me the money back.
Thinking back on this a bit...back when we could see the amount the pax paid and how much Lyft was making I was doing the creative long hauls with no problems. Would show a negative amount for Lyft when drove past the quoted amount to pax.
So I'm thinking nothing has changed on this in the past week or so.

No idea on how Uber handles creative routes as I'm just starting back with them after Lyft dropping our rates.

Must say that it is pretty sweet getting paid to pick up pax during ACL, have had some nice long ($10+) deadhead just on the pre-pickup side. But sure is funny how 'good' they've gotten on finding rides for you that are 1-2 minutes away. Before the pickup pay I'd always get pickups in the 7-10 minute range.

Noonespecial

Long hauling to run up the fare only works when you end the ride at the intended destination. There is no doubt that the passenger will be charged a lot more when you end the ride at a different location. However, who cares? If you got that passenger to switch to uber or RA then you have succeeded.

rideshard

Worst ACL ever so far. Can't use Lyft as they blatantly rob you, and Uber is taking about 40%. There is not enough Ride Austin to make up for it sadly.

DrinkSoda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear too that the weather is nothing like last weekend.

As miserable as the heat was I’ll have to admit it’s actually more conducive to a music fest.