• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Drivers, you're not a U-Haul

hulksmash

Really huh, why do you think Walmart ended their contract withdeliver people’s crap, no one wanted to load their cars with a months worth of shopping, drive a shitload of miles for 7 dollars.
This had nothing to do with Sams or Walmart. This was one of those independent contractors selling stuff inside the store who needed cargo. Yes it was somewhat of a pain but he ordered a premium car at premium rates to ensure someone was willing to pick him up. And he still tipped well. I’d do short grocery store runs like this all day long for $60 a pop. Less miles, wear and tear. Had he gotten me on base XL it would’ve been a hell no.

Crosbyandstarsky

I was leaving my apartment complex earlier today when I saw this poor ant in his shiny Acura MDX helping a lady load a full size mattress, bed frames and a few other pieces of furniture. The most painful part, the lady saying "I won't keep you that long, we're only going to the Goodwill" (Which happens to be a couple of miles away).
Never . I tell them I don’t haul furniture. I’m in the business of people hauling. I been asked to pick up at furniture stores and I sit there until I get my chance fee

UberBastid

Got a ping to an apartment.
Gal runs out with an armload of clothes. Throws them in the back seat before I can say anything, says, "I am leaving this jerk, I got one more bit of clothes, I'll be right back." I start the ride (I know, mistake).
Now, I sit. And wait. And wait.
Go to the front door and knock (I know, I know). Another female answers the door and I ask for the name on the ride and she says, "Oh, she's in the bedroom. Um, um..." Now, I hear the passionate sounds of make-up sex. Not muffled either. Loud. They having fun.
I think, "Oh, hell no." and storm back to the car, open up the back door, scoop up dresses and blouses and pant suits and deposit them on the front porch. She comes running out ... with baby batter running down her leg, "Oh, I'm still leaving the bastard. I need a ride."
I drove away, cancelled the ride and made up a story for Uber.

About two rides later a lady picks up a negligee and a pair of panties from the floor of the back seat and says "Is this yours?" I said, "Well, kinda. I take tips where I can get them."
She smiled and handed them to me, and I promptly tossed them out the window.
My wife wouldn't of believed that story. Not at all.

Yam Digger

A few months ago I got a ping to do a pick-up at NAPA Auto Parts. Pull into the parking lot and a NAPA employee is standing there with a box. Figured I was taking him home or something. He sets the box in my seat and says thanks the guy is waiting for me. Almost cancelled but hey it was a slow day. Took the part 14 miles and got a decent tip. Added bonus it put into a more productive area for the rest of the day. I guess for me I have no hard set rule. If it is not an over the top request I'll do it.
I also got no problem with something like this.

But trying to stuff large or heavy items in my vehicle is not going to happen.
Clean items that can be placed on my front seat or in my trunk with minimal effort and time are no problem for me either, so long as I don’t have to jump through hoops to make the drop; But packing up my car as if it were a moving truck is a big no-no.

I am leaving this jerk, I got one more bit of clothes, I'll be right back."......Now, I hear the passionate sounds of make-up sex. Not muffled either. Loud. They having fun.... She comes running out ... with baby batter running down her leg, "Oh, I'm still leaving the bastard. I need a ride."
One last nookie for the road? Priceless.

Las Vegas Dude

I just had a run last Saturday. I pull up and this guy has 3 bags of Golden Knights jerseys. I open the trunk and he puts them in and then says drop these off at the address I put in and call me when you get there. It was a print shop 18 miles away. I happily made the run.

IR12

I was leaving my apartment complex earlier today when I saw this poor ant in his shiny Acura MDX helping a lady load a full size mattress, bed frames and a few other pieces of furniture. The most painful part, the lady saying "I won't keep you that long, we're only going to the Goodwill" (Which happens to be a couple of miles away).
If a pax found a driver dumb enough to actually assist with loading a mattress headed to Goodwill...more power to them.

I just had a run last Saturday. I pull up and this guy has 3 bags of Golden Knights jerseys. I open the trunk and he puts them in and then says drop these off at the address I put in and call me when you get there. It was a print shop 18 miles away. I happily made the run.
I got a pool ping from a Walmart store one evening. On arrival I saw Andrew, a young Hipster type, outside with a shopping buggy with some huge, stacked bins. So huge, a grown man could literally take a bath in one of these. When I saw that I said to myself: “no. No! OH HELL, NO! There is no way I’m going to let you fill up my car with that crap; especially not on a discount fare.“ I pulled up, rolled down my window and asked: “Andrew?” You should have seen his face light up like a New York City Christmas tree. I just rolled up the window, drove off without saying anything else and cancelled the ride. Something tells me I wasn’t the first driver he called for and the previous ones probably also declined and drove away.

People like Andrew make me lose my faith in humanity just a little bit more each day.
'Walmart' was the red flag.

wicked

I usually hand them a Lugg card and smile. This one girl asked if it's $5. I just rolled my eyes and drove off. Never will forget that.

OtherUbersdo

A few months ago I got a ping to do a pick-up at NAPA Auto Parts. Pull into the parking lot and a NAPA employee is standing there with a box. Figured I was taking him home or something. He sets the box in my seat and says thanks the guy is waiting for me. Almost cancelled but hey it was a slow day. Took the part 14 miles and got a decent tip. Added bonus it put into a more productive area for the rest of the day. I guess for me I have no hard set rule. If it is not an over the top request I'll do it.
Better than a passenger . I do this type of run often but I have rules . It must be a long ride . I must know what I am delivering . Someone must meet me at the drop off , and I mean they must come to the car . And if I am leaving the state I negotiate a return fee .

Lissetti

Hufflepuff Honey Badger
Author
This happened during December before Christmas;

I get a ping to a Rite Aid store. As I pull up a young woman approaches from the sidewalk in front of the store. She's carrying a small shopping bag and nothing more. Oh well......surely a one mile run but whatever, let's get it over with. As I approach she smiles and waves her phone at me. Then she motions to a young man standing about 50 feet away, who begins walking towards me carrying a large wrapped Christmas tree. I drive a Toyota Corolla LE.

WTH.......:eek::eek:

"Where da hell do you think that's going???"

"On top of your car? You don't have to worry, the store employees help loading the tree and tying it down. You don't even have to get out of your car."

Yes I said some words that were not "Merry Christmas " as I cancelled and hi-tailed it out of there.

peteyvavs

I get a ping to a Rite Aid store. As I pull up a young woman approaches from the sidewalk in front of the store. She's carrying a small shopping bag and nothing more. Oh well......surely a one mile run but whatever, let's get it over with. As I approach she smiles and waves her phone at me. Then she motions to a young man standing about 50 feet away, who begins walking towards me carrying a large wrapped Christmas tree. I drive a Toyota Corolla LE.

"On top of your car? You don't have to worry, the store employees help loading the tree and tying it down. You don't even have to get out of your car."

Yes I said some words that were not "Merry Christmas " as I cancelled and hi-tailed it out of there.
Now you understand why I hate people.

crowuber

I almost was going to say I hope she got cancer after that. I almost was going to say that.

Lissetti

Hufflepuff Honey Badger
Author
I have no issue with small items that fit in the trunk. Hauling a bunch of large sized crap? No thanks.
Yeah but gas fumes take forever to get out of your car. I had a guy try to get in my car with four 1 gallon cans of house paint. He had just bought them from Home Depot. I kept the door locked and looked at his cans and noticed dabs on paint color on the top of the cans. I asked him if they opened the cans to mix color. He said they did. I told him he was not getting in my car with that unless they were factory sealed and never opened. He complained but he never got in my car and I cancelled on him.

Why so nitpicky? Because I met an Ant at the airport lot once who told me that he had also picked up a pax who had cans of house paint and the store must not have hammered the lids back down tight enough. Two cans tipped over and the lids came off in his trunk. Two gallons of white paint all over his Prius trunk. He's still fighting Uber for the money.

Another Ant told me on Black Friday he let a pax load up his Prius with a whole brand new computer system in boxes. When the pax got home and slid one of the boxes out of the back seat, one of those big copper industrial staples was partially loose on the bottom of the box and sliced a section of his back seat.

Pax Collector

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah but gas fumes take forever to get out of your car. I had a guy try to get in my car with four 1 gallon cans of house paint. He had just bought them from Home Depot. I kept the door locked and looked at his cans and noticed dabs on paint color on the top of the cans. I asked him if they opened the cans to mix color. He said they did. I told him he was not getting in my car with that unless they were factory sealed and never opened. He complained but he never got in my car and I cancelled on him.

Why so nitpicky? Because I met an Ant at the airport lot once who told me that he had also picked up a pax who had cans of house paint and the store must not have hammered the lids back down tight enough. Two cans tipped over and the lids came off in his trunk. Two gallons of white paint all over his Prius trunk. He's still fighting Uber for the money.

Another Ant told me on Black Friday he let a pax load up his Prius with a whole brand new computer system in boxes. When the pax got home and slid one of the boxes out of the back seat, one of those big copper industrial staples was partially loose on the bottom of the box and sliced a section of his back seat.
Gas cans, paints and computer parts have been excluded from my list as of now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Icecool Sydney 0
Mista T Portland 0
S San Francisco 8