• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Drivers with interior cameras but don't disclose them

AveragePerson

Is creepy af. There are weird people out there like that. It makes people feel uncomfortable. Disclosure should be mandatory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seahawk3

Is creepy af. There are weird people out there like that. It makes people feel uncomfortable. Disclosure should be mandatory.
If you don't do anything wrong then nothing to worry about. It's a private vehicle your getting in no different then a house. If you don't want to be recorded don't leave your residence. In today's age you just have to assume your always being recorded

Cableguynoe

Is creepy af. Who knows if they pleasure themselves in private with the secretly captured footage content of the female/male passengers depending on their sexual orientation. There are weird people out there like that. It makes people feel uncomfortable. Disclosure should be mandatory.
You think disclosing the camera would stop me?

I don’t get this thread.

mrpjfresh

ezgif-2-85bbfa7fcb6e.gif

" Ahh yea baby... pick that nose and wipe it on my seats. Give me backseat directions you bossy little milf. Tell me you'll tip me in the app... ahhhhh!!"

This is one of the silliest complaints I've ever read on here. Worry about the guys, y'know, actually raping, stalking and hawking Amway on their riders.

Solid 5

See and I would rather tell my pax that they've been recorded after they try to pull some crap and that I'll send it in and have their account closed if they attempt to lie or retaliate. I don't need a cam to be creepy, by the way, tell me what you are wearing right now.
You have to disclose you are recording the ride....either verbally or somewhere posted clearly in pax view.

They can ask you to turn the camera off, at which time....I am quite sure.....you legally can end the ride in a safe location.

Uber's Guber

There are weird people out there like that. It makes people feel uncomfortable. Disclosure should be mandatory.
The need for cameras are about the weird paxholes sitting in the back seat who make drivers uncomfortable. The positioning of all my cameras recording all angles of my vehicle provides all the necessary and obvious disclosures to let paxholes know they are being recorded inside and outside of my vehicle. If they don't like it, they can get out and walk.

UberBastid

I have a sign in my car that says they being recorded -- and they're not.
There is this little tiny hole in my rear view mirror, with a small led light next to it. It dims the mirror when there's brights back there. If asked I tell them that is the camera.
Had a guy get in once. About two minutes into the ride he says "So there's a camera in here? Where is it?" I pointed to my mirror and explained that it sends recordings right to the cloud so that they can't be erased by bad guys, and the cops can always find it. He says "So you have to have a sign telling people its here?" I replied in the affirmative. He says, "So, if I don't want to be recorded you have to turn it off."
"Nope," says I, "I have to let you out of the car. It never gets turned off."
Few seconds go by and I ask, "Do you want out?"
He says, "You'd let me out on the freeway?"
I say, "You're a grown man, you make your own decisions. And, I'm not a kidnapper. I will let you out where you want to get out. Do you want out?"
All he said was 'no'.
It was a quiet ride the rest of the way.

JimKE

You have to disclose you are recording the ride....either verbally or somewhere posted clearly in pax view.
Private operator means no mandatory declaration required. It's similar to being in a 7-11. Your best move to change anything is to address it with your state legislators.
You're both wrong.

In the US, disclosure depends on the state...........
You were right the first time. Laws vary from state to state -- and the critical issue is usually whether you are recording AUDIO.
They can ask you to turn the camera off, at which time....I am quite sure.....you legally can end the ride in a safe location.
That's a grey area. I think Uber would support you on that.

Lyft, I rather doubt. I have never had a complaint about my dashcam (with notice posted because Florida is a two-party consent state), but I have read screenshots of Lyft saying if you get further complaints (even if you're perfectly legal), they will deactivate...which is just Lyft being Lyft.

I also advise celebrity pax of my dashcam, tell them it will not be posted anywhere, and ask if they want me to turn it off.

Las Vegas Dude

Is creepy af. Who knows if they pleasure themselves in private with the secretly captured footage content of the female/male passengers depending on their sexual orientation. There are weird people out there like that. It makes people feel uncomfortable. Disclosure should be mandatory.
Unless it’s a secret upskirt cam built into the back of the seat (which would be illegal) or something like that, “most” cams are in plain sight on the window and you can see it. There are mirror cams that might be a little harder to spot but if your riding a rideshare ride you should expect to be recorded. You can choose to end the ride if you don’t want to be recorded.

Last edited:

UberBeemer

Behaving in an Uber or Lyft car should be mandatory. The thing is, as a passenger, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy in someone else's car. Get over it.

You were right the first time. Laws vary from state to state -- and the critical issue is usually whether you are recording AUDIO.
Incorrect. The eavesdropping laws protect against covert recordings. A dashcam is not. The legal litmus test us whether a passenger has a reasonable expectation of privacy. They do not.

AveragePerson

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you don't do anything wrong then nothing to worry about. It's a private vehicle your getting in no different then a house. If you don't want to be recorded don't leave your residence. In today's age you just have to assume your always being recorded
ah that "either your with us or you are one of them" argument. Love it. I suppose if i'm against the death penalty, I must be harden criminal myself, or else why would i oppose it, after-all, i have nothing to fear right? 10/10 logic.

being record is ok, just asking for disclosure, because people expects, privacy to a certain degree in a private ride. Just because something is allowed legally does not make it right. I'm sure as Uber drivers, Uber already taught you that lesson?

touberornottouber

It ought to be REQUIRED that there is a front and back facing dash camera with audio in operation when a passenger is in the vehicle. This would help us with false accusations and would probably lead to a lot better behavior from passengers over time (as they will know 100% they are being recorded).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Luver-Boy Seattle 0
Troi2214 Lyft 4
Uberbrent Dallas 3