Drivers Union Delivers Petition From Over 1,600 Uber/Lyft Drivers Supporting Fair Pay

KevinH

Uber/Lyft drivers call on City Council to ensure transparency for riders and a living wage for drivers
  • By Teamsters Local 117
  • Sep 15, 2020 Updated 12 hrs ago
international_brotherhood_of_teamsters_logo.jpg

International Brotherhood Of Teamsters. (PRNewsFoto/International Brotherhood of Teamsters)
By Teamsters Local 117

SEATTLE, Sept. 15, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Uber and Lyft drivers with the Drivers Union delivered a petition signed by over 1,600 drivers calling for fair pay.

The petition, which was delivered at a Seattle City Council hearing on Mayor Durkan's "Fare Share" Plan, urged councilmembers to build on the Mayor's plan with provisions to ensure greater transparency for riders and a living wage for drivers.

"My pay has been cut every year since I started driving, while the cost of living keeps going up," said Don Creery an Uber and Lyft driver since 2013 and a Drivers Union leader. "City Council can take a major step towards fairness with modest improvements to the Mayor's plan that implement transparency and living wage protections benefiting both riders and drivers."

The Drivers Union petition calls for fare transparency for riders and drivers, minimum pay per trip, increased mileage pay, and safeguards for drivers with high cost vehicle loans.

Drivers Union has led the campaign to put fair pay for Uber and Lyft drivers on the agenda at City Hall – surrounding City Hall with a driver caravan, organizing multiple drivers actions, and documenting Uber and Lyft taking more from riders, while paying drivers less.

"The need for Fair Pay for Uber and Lyft drivers has never been more urgent than now – in the midst of the dual crises of a global pandemic and a public reckoning with the reality of systemic racial inequity," said Nurayne Fofana, an Uber and Lyft driver and Drivers Union leader. "Before COVID, the driver community – made up largely of Black and brown immigrants – already earned less than minimum wage after expenses. Now, drivers face additional risks while spending extra uncompensated time and expenses to clean vehicles and ensure the safety of passengers and their families."

Last November, the city passed the first phase of Mayor Durkan's Fare Share plan, including first-in-the-nation legal protections for drivers who face unwarranted deactivations.

The Fare Share plan has been backed by a coalition of over 60 housing, transit, labor, environmental, health, and social justice groups that came together to make sure Seattle's growth works for everyone
"I am humbled by the tenacity of driver activists who have led a multi-year campaign to push back against pay cuts from Uber and Lyft and put Fair Pay on the agenda at City Hall," said John Scearcy, Secretary-Treasurer of Teamsters Local 117. "The resilience of these workers – building unity and solidarity amongst a diverse workforce that has been excluded from the protections of traditional labor laws – shows the best of the labor movement."

The Fair Pay Standard – which would complete the Mayor's Fare Share plan – is built off of over a year of stakeholder outreach, surveys and townhalls which engaged thousands of drivers, and recommendations from a city-commissioned independent study that found that Uber/Lyft drivers in Seattle often earn less than minimum wage after expenses.

Uber and Lyft have sought to avoid pay regulation, most recently by financing a competing study which has been widely criticized in the academic community for methodological flaws and bias.

Drivers Union, affiliated with Teamsters Local Union 117, is an association of thousands of Uber and Lyft drivers in Seattle standing up for fairness in the for-hire transportation industry.

[email protected]

DJJoeyZ

On a average day I make $25/hr.
On a good day I make $30/hr.
On a really good day I make $35/hr.

Those people crying/complaining saying they make minimum wage are slackers. No sympathy for folks too lazy to hustle or unable to change their oil, brake pads, can’t get medical or dental coverage.
Survival of the fittest baby. If you’re making
minimum wage and don’t like it, fine, get another job, don’t ask for regulations and ruin
it for others that succeed in this business.

tohunt4me

Those people crying/complaining saying they make minimum wage are slackers. No sympathy for folks too lazy to hustle or unable to change their oil, brake pads, can’t get medical or dental coverage.
minimum wage and don’t like it, fine, get another job, don’t ask for regulations and ruin
Many MORE issues than Pay !

DEACTIVATION DUE TO FALSE ACCUSATIONS !

UNION WOULD STOP THAT COLD !!!

Nats121

@tohunt4me my brother! That last one is definitely the best case for a union...deactivation due to false accusations. That is the ultimate fear right? For someone to get their income stream slashed to nothing instantly for nothing. Let's see what happens.
Not just false accusations from pax, also false accusations from the companies.

Pretty much every time these gig companies (Uber, Lyft, Doordash, etc) don't like something a driver is doing, even if the driver is playing by the rules, they claim that the activity "could be fraud".

These companies like to use accusations of fraud as "escape" clauses in their contracts...

An example is Doordash. Doordash's contract as well as their driver literature states that drivers will never be fired due to low acceptance rates. Seems pretty air tight...

HOWEVER, buried in the contract is an escape clause that says "an unusually low acceptance rate could be an indication of fraud".

BINGO, there's that "fraud" word again.

The complete absence of any job security whatsoever makes a joke out of any claims that gig jobs represent "freedom".

Stevie The magic Unicorn

do you want 48c a mile 8c a minute?

cause that’s what a lack of regulation leads to,

One paycut at a time and eventually you’ll hit it.

And no I’m not talking about the thing were lyft cuts your pay in half and pays for the pickup mileage to.

That’s under 30c a mile here.

I used to do amazing and Uber kept jmproving Things until I hit the point that I’m at now.

Paying $150 to rent a taxi when I have a perfectly good Uber eligible car in parked in the taxi parking lot while I’m taking the taxi out....

dauction

I used to do amazing and Uber kept jmproving Things until I hit the point that I’m at now.
Steve, I think part of the problem is that first-generation drivers thought that the early high pay rates were forever, when in fact they were simply designed to get drivers up and going ..to attract drivers.

The reality is Rideshare requires no special skill sets .. it is simply a minimum wage gig ..just like McDonalds .. it is what it is.

That said the nice part of the gig is that anyone can make a lot more if they simply offer a clean car, clean clothes, well-groomed and have basic customer skills and willing to driver smarter or longer.

Like the Wait Staff at your favorite Restaurant wage is less than Minimum wage but the good wait staff provides professional service always makes more .. and the ones that treat you the customer like they don't give a crap make less

Nats121

Steve, I think part of the problem is that first-generation drivers thought that the early high pay rates were forever, when in fact they were simply designed to get drivers up and going ..to attract drivers.

The reality is Rideshare requires no special skill sets .. it is simply a minimum wage gig ..just like McDonalds .. it is what it is.
Your history and analysis of Uber is faulty to say the least, as is your attempt to degrade this job, and so is your comparison to McDonalds.

Drivers made a lot more money on each ride in the early days but so did Uber, due to the fact that prices were much higher.

You claim rideshare has always been a minimum wage job, just like McDonalds (McD usually offers more than minimum, sometimes much more plus raises). Your comparison falls apart due to the fact that minimum wage jobs like McD ATTRACT workers at minimum wage.

According to your history, Uber was forced to offer high wages to attract drivers to a minimum wage job, something McD and other employers never had to do or would do.

In your zeal to act as an apologist for Uber you unwittingly present them as bait and switch scammers.

Uber apologists also like to claim that rideshare is a fun and easy job anyone can do, but according to you, the only way Uber could entice drivers to do a fun and easy minimum wage job was to pay much higher wages in the beginning and cut their pay to shreds later.

Very few drivers now or then signed up with Uber to make minimum wage. They expected to make a lot MORE than minimum. When they discovered that the rates were too low to do it, they joined the rest of the 97% who quit rideshare during their first year.

The fact is Travis was determined to take over the transportation industry and supplant public transit by making rideshare as cheap as a bus and ultimately cheaper than owning a car. That meant fares had to be cut dramatically.

The massive influx of Third World immigrants into rideshare enabled Travis to cut the fares.

Last edited:

dauction

Your history and analysis of Uber is faulty to say the least, as is your attempt to degrade this job, and so is your comparison to McDonalds.

I can't degrade a gig any lower than what it is.. there is nothing special needed by the driver other than to know how to drive.

There is no training, no safety training, no customer relations training, no defensive driving training ..it's essentially the sam eas showing up at McDonalds and telling new employee..OK this is your station when the Fryer beeps pull the fries out of the oil

any Monkey can do it

That said some of us TRY and bring Uber driving up a notch or 2 using skill sets we learned from previous employment (City Bus Driver in my situation) as well as common sense on being professional. Grooming, clean car daily, driving the speed limit , being courteous to all passengers etc..

That said, at its core, it's still just a minimum wage job ...no degree need, not even high school ...hell you don't even need a GED

and STILL have the potential to make $20, $30, $40 hours

Nats121

I can't degrade a gig any lower than what it is.. there is nothing special needed by the driver other than to know how to drive.

There is no training, no safety training, no customer relations training, no defensive driving training ..it's essentially the sam eas showing up at McDonalds and telling new employee..OK this is your station when the Fryer beeps pull the fries out of the oil

any Monkey can do it

That said some of us TRY and bring Uber driving up a notch or 2 using skill sets we learned from previous employment (City Bus Driver in my situation) as well as common sense on being professional. Grooming, clean car daily, driving the speed limit , being courteous to all passengers etc..

That said, at its core, it's still just a minimum wage job ...no degree need, not even high school ...hell you don't even need a GED

and STILL have the potential to make $20, $30, $40 hours
Not only couldn't you refute any of my points, you come off as even more clueless by continuing to contradict yourself.

I'm glad I was never one your bus passengers.
Post automatically merged:

When did Uber improve things?

Since 2013 it's been a downhill slope of one pay cut after another to the point that pay rates in most markets are about 1/3 of what they were then.

Last edited:

SHalester

it's essentially the sam eas showing up at McDonalds and telling new employee..
...ah, ahem, have you ever been a fast food worker? There is training involved. It's hard ass work too; much harder than plain ole RS, which requires nothing hard.

and the hate on fast food; amazing. Once upon a time it was a great job for HS aged and even college aged kids. You got pay, job experience and in many cases school credits. Plus, looks pretty good on a resume.

Retired as a 'shift manager' Orange Julius; 4 years. Not sure I ever used it on a resume, tho.......

Nats121

97% of drivers quit their first year, so tell us how many drivers would be "ruined" by regulations.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

Not only couldn't you refute any of my points, you come off as even more clueless by continuing to contradict yourself.

When did Uber improve things?

Since 2013 it's been a downhill slope of one pay cut after another to the point that pay rates in most markets are about 1/3 of what they were then.
Didn't you get any of the memos?

LOWER PRICES MEANS MORE MONEY!...

dauction

Nonsense .. Uber continues to attract drivers even those making less than Minimum wage .

Personally, if UBer is forced to make drivers Employees the very first thing they need to do is get rid of Drivers that are not competent enough to make minimum wage on their own as a IC . Seriously you can't be too bright if you cant make /net minimum wage driving uber...Look at those that "cant" .

They are the ones that refuse to start early and grab the moring rush ..they start at 9-10 am when it's dead .work a few hours through lunch and then complain .. or they refuse t work the Bar rush ..

Or they have filthy cars, filthy grooming habits ...they stink their cars stink and they hate their passengers.. loo at all the posts on Up.net 70% are drivers that hate their passengers....

Bottom line .. 70% of all small business FAIL ..same with IC drivers ..70% of the drivers are terrible, they have no clue what it takes to raise the level of their rideshare business..it's always Ubers fault or the passengers faults.

and THATS OK...but they need to be "Fired" .. or quit . 1 They are terrible 2. they are miserable. so quit blaming everyone else and go find something else to do.

This is NOT to say that Uber is blameless..plenty they could change as well. But if anyone thinks they are going to make what the pride rates were 5 years ago..lol ..it just isn't going to happen so you need to face reality and move on. Those pay rates were simply to get drivers on board driving to build Uber into a dominant rideshare service. To Gain Market share.

Nats121

Nonsense .. Uber continue to attract drivers even those making less than Mininum wage .
Incoherent statement.

Personally if UBer is forced to make drivers Employees
A different topic from my rebuttal which had nothing to do with employee status for drivers, which I personally don't want.

get rid of Drivers that are not competent enough to make minimum wage on their own as a IC . Seriosely you cant be too bright if oyu cant make /net mininum wage driving uber...Look at those that "cant" .

They are the ones that refuse to start early and grab the moring rush ..they start at 9-10 am when it's dead .work a few hours through lunch and then complain .. or they refuse t work the Bar rush ..

Or they have filthy cars, filthy grooming habits ...they stink their cars stink and they hate their passengers.. loo at all the posts on Up.net 70% are drivers that hate their passengers....
You continue to contradict your argument about how rideshare is so easy a monkey can do it while rambling on about all of the job requirements that aren't being met for this easy-enough-for-a-monkey-to-do job.

Bottom line .. 70% of all small business FAIL ..same with IC drivers
Actually 20% of US small businesses fail the first year, contrast that with the 97% turnover rate of rideshare drivers.

ah, ahem, have you ever been a fast food worker? There is training involved. It's hard ass work too; much harder than plain ole RS, which requires nothing hard.
How difficult or easy a job is doesn't always translate to higher or lower wages.

I've done fast food work and I've moved furniture, and considering how vastly harder the moving job was, the pay wasn't all that much higher than the fast food pay.

Last edited:

dauction

Incoherent statement.

A different topic from my rebuttal which had nothing to do with employee status for drivers, which I personally don't want.

You continue to contradict your argument about how rideshare is so easy a monkey can do it while rambling on about all of the job requirements that aren't being met for this easy-enough-for-a-monkey-to-do job.

Actually 20% of US small businesses fail the first year, contrast that with the 97% turnover rate of rideshare drivers.
We are already being paid fairly .. Min wage and beyond.. if certain drivers are unable to make even minimum wage driving then they need to find something other to do then to demand Uber to pay for their failures.

and again Driving Uber is a MINUMUM WAGE Gig .. it requires nothing education-wise and no special skills. You don't even need a GED ..

and ..
How many businesses fail each year?
20% of small businesses fail in their first year, 30% of small business fail in their second year, and 50% of small businesses fail after five years in business. Finally, 70% of small business owners fail in their 10th year in business. Nov 20 2019

Nats121

We are already being paid fairly
That's your opinion, which isn't shared by the vast majority of drivers including myself.

if certain drivers are unable to make even minimum wage driving then they need to find something other to do then to demand Uber to pay for their failures.
In all likelihood most drivers are making around minimum wage or a little above, and that's the problem and the main reason 97% quit. A job that requires to drivers to beat up their cars, offers zero benefits, offers zero job security, and pays minimum wage or slightly above it isn't a job that people will continue to do for very long. Thus, the 97% turnover rate.

20% of small businesses fail in their first year, 30% of small business fail in their second year, and 50% of small businesses fail after five years in business. Finally, 70% of small business owners fail in their 10th year in business. Nov 20 2019
You're really not helping your argument by your repeated use of the small business failure stats.

While 80% of small businesses are still in business after the first year, only 3% of rideshare drivers are still on the job.

SHalester

I've done fast food work and I've moved furniture,
yeah, that's not where I was going and your example make little sense when paired together. I was comparing fast food to RS. Plus was defending fast food as a legit job, since many here trample all over it for some strange reason. Job wise a RS driver will always be looking UP at other jobs, not down.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

We are already being paid fairly .. Min wage and beyond.. if certain drivers are unable to make even minimum wage driving then they need to find something other to do then to demand Uber to pay for their failures.

and again Driving Uber is a MINUMUM WAGE Gig .. it requires nothing education-wise and no special skills. You don't even need a GED ..

and ..
It’s not the drivers fault if they can’t make money in a below $1.00 a mile market.

Sorry to say this but in some places the pay per mile is the problem and at 53c a mile you just can’t make shit doing this.

you’ll never hit $20 an hour on $3-5 rides. Don’t try to convince me otherwise.

Tuesday/Wednesday I had 24 fares for a grand total of $416 (including tips) ($17.33 a fare including tips)

Grand total I averaged just 3 paid miles per fare. I had 85 paid miles out of 308 driven total.

grand total including tips I made $1.35 a mile.

overall...

10 of my fares were less then $10 and another 10 were in the $10-15 range, with just 4 in the $20-50 range.

Converted to X rates 20/24 fares would have been min trips. Grand total those 20 fares would have paid out $60+ tips. Instead I got paid about $275 for them.

And in order to make $1.35 per mile driven I have to charge $2.40-3.00 a mile...

because that white Camry hybrid I drove had “taxi” slapped on the side I got 4.5 TIMES as much per mile as I would ha s gotten on X rates.

The problem is Uber setting the rates so low, not my ability to know what I’m doing.