1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Drivers seem to still be using the "spoofing" location hack to obtain the best spots

Discussion in 'News' started by BurgerTiime, Apr 28, 2017.

1. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. redd38

redd38 Well-Known Member

The cars you see on the map before you request a ride are not necessarily real. Just because you see a car on that map doesn't mean a car is there, either physical or through spoofing.

3. BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    We know uber uses this tactic in high profile areas to make it seem reliable, evade law enforcement and protect drivers. But if Uber makes the statement they had to deactivate a few drivers, its possible they're using a computer connected via phone to bypass Uber's spoofing detection process. Pokémon developers showed how this process is possible and seem the same method is achieved using driver profile.

weibo, DJC72, leroy jenkins and 2 others like this.
  4. redd38

redd38 Well-Known Member

I don't doubt that there are spoofers, I'm just saying every phantom car you see isn't due to spoofing.

5. ginseng41

ginseng41 Well-Known Member

While I understand why drivers would do this, I can't see why uber would and think that for the most part, it would be bad for drivers by lowering surge. I know that I log off and go home once I see too many cars online and I assume passengers get pissed if they see a bunch of cars nearby but have to wait for one to come from a greater distance

6. massageuber

massageuber Member

Yeah but who is the rider going to punish uber or the drivers

UbingInLA and melusine3 like this.
  7. ginseng41

ginseng41 Well-Known Member

Both ratings and alternative transportation methods

melusine3 likes this.
  8. Jesusdrivesuber

Jesusdrivesuber Well-Known Member

Lol, he speaks the truth, the app ****s up with the GPS so much, it's close to impossible to determine if it's spoof or the app.

Uber scans the phones for spoofing apps, they detect rooted phones, I think all GPS spoofers I know off do not work and get detected quickly.

Did the author of that piece happen to think that maybe he is witnessing jumpers? He should write a piece about that.

[​IMG]

weibo, Fostel, melusine3 and 12 others like this.
  9. Jesusdrivesuber

Jesusdrivesuber Well-Known Member

Oh and BTW, someone should ridicule their investigation, are they even aware that you can't request ubers right next to you? That never worked for me when trying to rig rides unless the area was 100% empty, How are they sure they requested the uber in that location and not another one coming from afar as the one they are standing next to will disappear, did they have enough brain matter to check with 2 apps if the "ghost car" disappeared since it was booked?

How can people make asses out of themselves on national TV with these "investigations"?
    No wonder those drivers looked freaked out.

iUBERdc likes this.
  10. Jagent

Jagent Moderator Moderator

It's not drivers spoofing. It's Uber using fake ants. I've been posting about it for months. The ants on the rider app are about 50% fake.

dennis09, weibo, Fostel and 12 others like this.
  11. Brooklyn

Brooklyn Well-Known Member

Instead of people complaining about this why don't the drivers complain that sometimes the closest car doesn't receive the trip because Uber tries to push good rides to new drivers?

Fostel, UberDuper91, 2Cents and 12 others like this.
  12. BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    Drivers have been spoofing, it goes way back to jail breaking in the early years.
    Uber put in place jailbreak detection and would give you a pop-up warning and wouldn't allow you to sign on.
    [​IMG]
    If you have a dev account, which Apple made much easier so it would open the minds of younger developers (and free now) you can connect your phone and put it in DFU mode:
    https://recomhub.com/blog/how-to-enable-developer-mode-on-iphone-and-ipad-in-ios-10/
    This would bypass any detection method and would require a link and laptop/pc. Once the location is spoofed, a request is accepted and phone is taken out of DFU mode (the car would disappear) and placed into regular operations (and car would reappear) showing actual location.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  13. Jagent

There is no reason to spoof being in my neighborhood. It never surges. There are rarely any requests here. I don't even work in my neighborhood any longer. The ants were fake Uber ants.

14. BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    Many reasons to spoof; if you can sit inside a coffee shop where your car is allowed to park while you spoof a popular location where your not allowed to park or it costs $$ to sit and wait. Surge or not, it can be used to your advantage.

15. Jagent

Dude, you would have to be mentally deranged to spoof your location to my neighborhood. And you're trying to make me believe that four people did it at the same time.

weibo, leroy jenkins and New2This like this.
  16. BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    What are you talking about? Who said anything about doing it in your neighborhood? Just so you know. It's very common in places to have multiple drivers spoofing due to the people with knowledge charge for the ability and word gets out. Drivers will do anything and pay for any sort of advantage. This is nothing new at all. In San Francisco drivers were paying up to $800 a device.

MoreTips and Dinoberra like this.
  17. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

lol you spoofers are working way too hard, this job isn't that hard, the only reason I can imagine to spoof would be airport pickups

weibo, K-pax, doggerel and 2 others like this.
  18. d0n

d0n Well-Known Member

LOLOLOL.

How do they expect them to crack down on people using different architectures?

Didn't I write something about going back in time and stopping someone from creating something? Yeah, those are their odds to stop anything.

The guy who wrote the article is a tool who can't even conduct a test correctly.

--Holy **** I requested an uber right next to me and the car teleported--

Maybe if you ****ing knew how the system worked, you'd be able to tell how that happened.

Fostel, Who is John Galt? and Jagent like this.
  19. dirtylee

dirtylee Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Spoofing is only worth it with Airport FIFO. Too cumbersome to use regularly for any other situation.

Jagent likes this.
  20. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    TRue, yet you obviously didn't read before replying.
    You realize both phenomenons can exist in the same world?

MoreTips likes this.