• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Drivers reportedly transporting children without car seats

Do you take children without car seats?

• No never

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • I play it by ear

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I break the law and allow it

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters

BurgerTiime

https://www.abc15.com/longform/lyft-uber-car-seat-law

This is a problem where both drivers and their parent passengers are to blame.

In Arizona, state law requireschildren younger than 8 years old or less than 4 feet 9 inches tall to sit in a proper child safety seat. The purpose of this investigation was to see whether drivers for Uber and Lyft are breaking that law after a rideshare driver contacted the station to raise the concern.

Robert Burgess, who drives for both Uber and Lyft, sees it all the time.

This is a problem where both drivers and their parent passengers are to blame
He captured video on his dashboard camera of an incident at Sky Harbor Airport in October.

The video shows a Lyft driver picking up a woman and baby. As the driver takes the child's stroller and gets ready to put in the trunk, Burgess and an airport traffic coordinator approach the driver.

Burgess said the two are telling him he can't give a ride to the woman and child without a car seat. But the driver takes off anyway.

The video highlights that this is a problem where both drivers and their parent passengers are to blame.

Burgess said the vast majority of parents with small children he goes to pick up, "nine times out of ten," don't have the proper equipment.

When he turns them away, they often complain.

"'All of the other drivers do it' is a common statement," he said.
Via Uber: When you open the Uber app, select UberX and then the "Car Seat" option. Vehicles arrive with one forward-facing car seats and two booster seats. Your childmust be at least 12 months old, weigh 22 pounds, and be 31 inches tall to ride safely in the forward-facing seat.

Uber Car Seat provides uberX vehicles equipped with a car seat.

To request Uber Car Seat, tap the 'car seat' option after selecting the uberX vehicle type. A $10 surcharge is added to uberX pricing for Uber Car Seat trips.

A child is too big at 48 lbs. or 52 inches.

Last edited:

just_me

I drive for both Uber and Lyft in the Phoenix area and have had to turn down about 15 to 18 rides so far for not having child seat (or booster seat) when a child was present. There are terrible parents out there and it still makes me feel bad for the children when I have to cancel, every time.

But, I've learned to keep the doors locked, speak through the window, and tell them: ''no child seat - no ride - it's the law''. Never let them in the car, you don't need the fine. Take the cancel even if you don't get paid for it. As far as Uber or Lyft training about the child seat laws - there isn't any. A link to the local laws on their websites would be helpful.

On the bright side though, I've also had many many more rides (hundreds) with parents that bring the child seats with them, and I do my best to compliment them. Good job guys!

AuxCordBoston

I drive for both Uber and Lyft in the Phoenix area and have had to turn down about 15 to 18 rides so far for not having child seat (or booster seat) when a child was present. There are terrible parents out there and it still makes me feel bad for the children when I have to cancel, every time.

But, I've learned to keep the doors locked, speak through the window, and tell them: ''no child seat - no ride - it's the law''. Never let them in the car, you don't need the fine. Take the cancel even if you don't get paid for it. As far as Uber or Lyft training about the child seat laws - there isn't any. A link to the local laws on their websites would be helpful.

On the bright side though, I've also had many many more rides (hundreds) with parents that bring the child seats with them, and I do my best to compliment them. Good job guys!
Are you concerned a rider will get angry and complain that you discriminated against them ?

nomad_driver

My favorite parents are the ones who say they don't know if their kid needs a car seat. One superstar parent said he didn't know, and then I threw a loop and ask him if he owned a car seat. It took him off guard and he said, "yes but it's at home." I said, "have a nice day sir," as he gave me the got caught in a lie look.

Mars Troll Number 4

Are you concerned a rider will get angry and complain that you discriminated against them ?
I got a story about that somewhere....

https://uberpeople.net/threads/i-hate-these-people.127245/#post-1861930

There's a lady waiting outside with.. 2 shopping carts and... 5 children one of whom is less than 1 Years old.
I just know it's my customer, my info for the pickup says party of 3.

I crack the window say "are all these kids coming in this taxi now?" I ask

"Yes, open the trunk" she replies.

"Mam i can't take you, i'm calling dispatch to get you a bigger car" and I start to drive off. (about 5 seconds total for all of this)

She rams the back corner of my car with her shopping cart and i can see bits of plastic fly in the rear view. I feel the car shake and the thud of the impact.

Walmart securty Haulls A out to the front of the store... They called the cops before I had even had the chance to call dispatch..

Within 5 minutes the Orlando PD is on scene.

And now i'm in the edge of the Walmart parking lot waiting for a tow truck because tail lights/turn signals are all FUBAR my vehicle isn't "Safe to drive"

So far 7 people have walked up asking for a ride and i have another 20-30 minutes to wait for the tow.

But the walmart manager got me a Hot cocoa from the McDonalds in the store so on the house... And i should be going home with $150-$160.

All in all a pretty good day...

THE MAN!

This has been going on for a long time. Uber chooses not to hold the line with both passengers and drivers. Same with 4+ passengers in an X. Had a woman show up with what seem to be 5-6 little kids with not even a booster seat. Told her no way and just got attitude. Until Uber provides consequences for passengers. And not putting drivers in desperate situations nothing will change!

SEAL Team 5

To request Uber Car Seat, tap the 'car seat' option after selecting the uberX vehicle type. A $10 surcharge is added to uberX pricing for Uber Car Seat trips.
I wonder how often those car seats are sanitized by drivers? I bet baby's are sitting in seats covered with fecal matter, urine and puke.

somedriverguy

https://www.abc15.com/longform/lyft-uber-car-seat-law

This is a problem where both drivers and their parent passengers are to blame.

In Arizona, state law requireschildren younger than 8 years old or less than 4 feet 9 inches tall to sit in a proper child safety seat. The purpose of this investigation was to see whether drivers for Uber and Lyft are breaking that law after a rideshare driver contacted the station to raise the concern.

Robert Burgess, who drives for both Uber and Lyft, sees it all the time.

This is a problem where both drivers and their parent passengers are to blame
He captured video on his dashboard camera of an incident at Sky Harbor Airport in October.

The video shows a Lyft driver picking up a woman and baby. As the driver takes the child's stroller and gets ready to put in the trunk, Burgess and an airport traffic coordinator approach the driver.

Burgess said the two are telling him he can't give a ride to the woman and child without a car seat. But the driver takes off anyway.

The video highlights that this is a problem where both drivers and their parent passengers are to blame.

Burgess said the vast majority of parents with small children he goes to pick up, "nine times out of ten," don't have the proper equipment.

When he turns them away, they often complain.

"'All of the other drivers do it' is a common statement," he said.
Via Uber: When you open the Uber app, select UberX and then the "Car Seat" option. Vehicles arrive with one forward-facing car seats and two booster seats. Your childmust be at least 12 months old, weigh 22 pounds, and be 31 inches tall to ride safely in the forward-facing seat.

A child is too big at 48 lbs. or 52 inches.
I would sign up for car seat and booster service if it was legal in my state.

Hogg

I've had maybe three people bring a car seat in the two years I've been doing this. All the rest have been denied. They all get reported too.

I even had a guy claim to be a cop the other day and told me it was fine to bring his four year old grandaughter without a car seat. He got cancelled too.

It's shocking how laissez-faire Uber is about the situation. I always get a vague response about how I shouldn't do anything I feel might be illegal, like they have no clue what the child seat laws actually are. I suspect they will end up in another lawsuit soon, if there isn't one against them already.

Oh, and every single time they tell me all the other Uber drivers let them do it and that's how they got here with the kid to begin with.

Demon

I've had maybe three people bring a car seat in the two years I've been doing this. All the rest have been denied. They all get reported too.

I even had a guy claim to be a cop the other day and told me it was fine to bring his four year old grandaughter without a car seat. He got cancelled too.

It's shocking how laissez-faire Uber is about the situation. I always get a vague response about how I shouldn't do anything I feel might be illegal, like they have no clue what the child seat laws actually are. I suspect they will end up in another lawsuit soon, if there isn't one against them already.

Oh, and every single time they tell me all the other Uber drivers let them do it and that's how they got here with the kid to begin with.
Uber doesn't see a need to address this.

Mars Troll Number 4

I've flat out asked uber support questions and they have told me things that are in direct conflict with the state/ local laws/city ordinances.

You have to know the law because uber probably doesn't, or they just don't want to follow it.

And the customer wasn't lying either, that is how they got there.

pycckkuu

Drove for Lyft full time in between jobs in Maryland/DC/Northern VA for 4 months. I've got only 2 people (out of approximately 1300 ride requests and 1000+ rides) that took their carseat/booster seat for their children. Others would be mega-upset because I wouldn't give them a ride. As a law abiding citizen and worker each time I've cancelled the ride I've called Lyft to explain the situation with proof of my audio and videofeed from my dashcam. After approximately a week with at least 5 rides, sometimes back-to-back, that wanted their underage children to get transported I've got a letter from Lyft saying that I'm abusing the system and if I'll keep on canceling the rides Lyft will withhold parts/all my earnings.

No explanation was accepted neither through email, nor through phone/visiting their office in Baltimore.
Cherry on top:
I drove Lyft office employee who when I brought up this topic, told me this: "If you're not feeling comfortable with giving rides to kids just refer to our policy and law."
I wonder if somehow you can make a class action against them for increasing the child mortality risk on the road.

P.S.: Since February 2018 they took out opportunity to cancel a ride with explanation of "no child seat" from their driver app. They are clearly aware of the problem and they don't want to fix it.

Attachments

Last edited: