Drivers possibly being tracked when phone is on but driver app is off. Is this a concern

Is it a concern as a driver that UBER can possibly track your app even when the app is closed?

• Yes this is a concern

• No this is not a concern

• I am glad as it can help UBER do a better job

Results are only viewable after voting.

ramrods

Without prejudice
I have read certain articles about how Uber was tracking UBER passenger well after and possibly even before the trip. Bottom line they got quite a bit of flack over this and promised to stop it... End of story. It was especially a problem with the tracking of movie stars etc.
But It has come to my attention that there is possibly a fair amount of data transfer between the driver app and the servers. Even when the app is totally closed down. The phone just has to be out of sleep mode and the app starts sending data to the servers. Even when turned off. I can see config settings and possibly even gps data with time stamps.
This may be pretty obvious to most app dev people but maybe not to the lay driver.
Please note this is my personal findings and there could be errors. I ask that nobody takes any or part of these statements as fact.

yogi bear

My android phone often prompts me to save power by closing down the uber app long after I've closed the uber app.

Like once opened it doesn't just close just because you close it.

I'm fairly certain they track cashies like this too, there's been a few times I've ordered uber the then cancelled as theyve arrived and just paid cash.
So uber probably are on to it.

andyxc

My Uber phone has no sim, is tethered to my phone and left on Airplane mode when in use. I just turn off wifi when I am done. This has been known for years and that is the reason why I don't even have the Uber app on my phone

yogi bear

My Uber phone has no sim, is tethered to my phone and left on Airplane mode when in use. I just turn off wifi when I am done. This has been known for years and that is the reason why I don't even have the Uber app on my phone

How does that work in regards to your uber account being connected to a phone number?
Like when the pax ring you, how does it go through?

andyxc

My phone number connected to the Uber account on my normal phone. So if I need to text/call them, I just take my normal phone out and type the number manually in my phone. It is a pain but the only way around it. At least now I can text some riders with the Uber phone.

I am not a developer so I don't know if it helps. It may still collect data and upload the batch when it is online again. I have heard stories of how powerful godview is at Uber.

ramrods

How does that work in regards to your uber account being connected to a phone number?
Like when the pax ring you, how does it go through?
I have been told that all phone calls and text messages are now recorded. That is the wonder of calling a translation phone service that Uber uses.

weekendnightdriver

On iOS,
When you check the settings, the permission is 'When using,'
- Online (foreground, background): they track us.
- Offline (foreground): they don't seem to track us. (ie. Don't send our location to their server)
- Offline (background): they can't track us. (You don't see blue status bar at the top of the screen)

I am not sure about Android.

Last edited:

ramrods

On iOS,
When you check the settings, the permission is 'When using,'
- Online (foreground, background): they track us.
- Offline (foreground): they don't seem to track us. (ie. Don't send our location to their server)
- Offline (background): they can't track us. (You don't see blue status bar at the top of the screen)

I am not sure about Android.
to be fair I should have said this relates to Android and was noted from a phone that was in offline mode and where the phone had been rebooted and the app had not been started in that session.

Duderx

Of course they're watching us and monitoring our movements. As is the CIA, FBI, Mossad, VICPOL, RSI, RAW, MI6, GRU, MSS, BND, DGSE, ASIS, and many other intelligence agencies around the globe. Big Data is essential for all and any govts to gather. Every move, every word, every idea you share, everything you buy unless you use use cash, you are being monitored. So Uber watching where we go must be simple even when we are offline. Google "Grayball" to see how uber works to restrict monitoring of their activities. If a company is this concerned about others monitoring them, then you can be damn sure they're monitoring us. Just park a couple of streets away from any 'sensitive' addresses that you visit e.g brothels, drug dealers, boyfriends or girlfriends - enter Galt for further comment. :-))

Vamsee

I hope apple has fixed it with the new iOS 11 update

Attachments

• IMG_1D397F9969F2-1.jpeg
    IMG_1D397F9969F2-1.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 42

weekendnightdriver

Of course they're watching us and monitoring our movements. As is the CIA, FBI, Mossad, VICPOL, RSI, RAW, MI6, GRU, MSS, BND, DGSE, ASIS, and many other intelligence agencies around the globe. Big Data is essential for all and any govts to gather. Every move, every word, every idea you share, everything you buy unless you use use cash, you are being monitored. So Uber watching where we go must be simple even when we are offline. Google "Grayball" to see how uber works to restrict monitoring of their activities. If a company is this concerned about others monitoring them, then you can be damn sure they're monitoring us. Just park a couple of streets away from any 'sensitive' addresses that you visit e.g brothels, drug dealers, boyfriends or girlfriends - enter Galt for further comment. :smiles:)

Mate, you are overestimating Uber. Greyball is just a SNS scavenger + geofencing. BTW, CIA's Echelon and FBI's PRISM are in different level.