• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Drivers for Disabled

aparent

There are many parents in the DFW area looking for patient, kind drivers for adults with developmental disabilities. These adults have places they need to go to. They need to arrive at these places as quickly as possible and on time. They need to be picked up on time so they don't stand around waiting. Many of these adults have very low income ($731 per month). Some of them have services through Medicaid where transportation will be paid for. How do we find people who want drive these adults? Thank you!

Uberdummy

Uber's policy is all drivers are required to transport the disabled including service animals. This can be complicated if the rider needs assistance. In cases like that the driver has to use judgement. Myself i won't touch riders getting in or out of my car. Too much liability should they fall or get hurt. If they can get in and get out i have all the patience in the world to get them to where they're going including loading and unloading medical equipment.

aparent

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What kind of training do uber and other drivers receive about disabilities? Is there a contact name or link to training videos?

aparent

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It might be helpful for drivers to be aware of how to communicate with people with developmental disabilities if they are going to drive them. These riders may also walk slower or need help opening or shutting the car door. Many drivers are caring and want to do this. Some drivers might want to drive these people because the are familiar with the disabilities. Some of these riders have schedules that require drivers 2-4 times per day. How do I find a drivers interested in this?

Nice_Guy

You are asking the wrong people/ wrong place. What you need is medical transportation services. No uber driver will do what you are asking. Like others have said we don't do more than drive people, no touching or assistance is given. Good luck!

Dallas007

I picked up a VIP today with CF... just a little extra time...and in true VIP fashion he asked to stop at the racetrack... :smiles: this time I didn't mind,

SweetAMGUberLyft

What kind of training do uber and other drivers receive about disabilities? Is there a contact name or link to training videos?
There is no/zero training provided. We are simply drivers of people from a to b. If you need someone to assist passengers in addition to driving them, I think those people should get a personal care nurse to assist them if riding in a rideshare or taxi vehicle, or like someone else said- contact medical transportation companies. There are a few of them in the area, and some hospitals provide the transportation service as well. By law, we are required to transport all passengers, but given available space for assistance devices and the condition of the passenger, it might be frustrating for the passenger to find a driver to accept the ride (I can't fit a wheel chair/walker in my trunk...). You need larger vehicles like vans/suv's also.

z289sec

I will put someone's wheelchair in my trunk and open the door for them. Most of them, the wheels pop right off, and they fold up. I have done that before. Don't think I'd feel comfortable doing much more than that.........with the liability issue.

Cary Grant

I've had plenty of pax who are vision impaired or blind, as well as people with walkers, on crutches, or who had badly sprained ankles (several have required help in and out of the car by their friends). A few have admitted they can't drive due to epilepsy, traumatic brain injury, or because some prescription they take makes driving unsafe. Some have moved really slow, because they are old, or weak from an illness or injury. I'm super patient with them all. They don't all look disabled, but many they tell me they can't get around without Uber or Lyft (they ALL tell me that cabs won't come get them -- wrong neighborhood or some such).

Specialty transportation services exist for people who have serious mobility issues (wheelchairs, etc.), or who are developmentally challenged. I don't think Uber is the solution for every need. Sure, you might like the price, but you're never going to be satisfied with the service, because the average driver isn't going to get out of the car and do much beyond opening doors, or loading light items into the trunk or cargo area.

I have one relative that's wheel chair bound, and another that is special needs. Neither of them could, nor should, try to use Uber or Lyft. It's just not an appropriate match. YMMV

Bear75063

Some of them have services through Medicaid where transportation will be paid for. How do we find people who want drive these adults? Thank you!
There are transportation services that have Medicaid contracts. Uber does not. As stated earlier, a passenger must be able to travel on their own or have an assistant. Other than an occasional mobility device that we put into the trunk, we are not required to provide such a personal service [plus liability issues are enormous]

BTW............. I hold the same standars to anyone who is so drunk they cannot function.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E News 4
London-born-and-bred London 40
Travis Bickle Uber Seattle 32