• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Driverless Cars Will Never Become Legal

VanGuy

I was going to mention that. Many cars are already on a network and can be controlled in some manner. Not usually steering and throttle (maybe Tesla?) but at the least, immobilized. That would be havoc enough.
Just with what they showed in this video, imagine someone spends a month going down the same highway every day at the same time inventorying vulnerable vehicles to generate a pattern.

Then on attack day, cranks the radio, hits the washer fluid and shuts down the engine on those vehicles. It wouldn't take many on the same highway, same time, close enough in proximity to cause absolute pandemonium.

goneubering

I had a passenger that was working on self-driving cars at Rice University. He and his team were studying the practicality of this type of automation. He said the technology was all there, except for one critical missing piece - predictability. According to him, it was impossible to introduce an unforeseen moving hazard in the path of a driverless car, and have 100% accuracy of steering around the obstacle. Fixed objects were no problem, but an object that could move (dog, bicycle rider, pedestrians, etc), that had no predictability, could be built into the automation.

Maybe in time this area of technology can be improved, but he didn’t seem too confident that it would be anytime soon.
“SDCs are right around the corner!!!!”

RIP Tomato

uberdriverfornow

SDC's are here, what's to debate? This thread is false to begin with, they are legal in the US. The debate will be on how to overhaul our infrastructure to accommodate them and the variables that will walk into them.
no actual SDC ride has ever taken place nor would it

no proof any SDC ride has ever taken place....not a single unedited video ever over 15 minutes showing an SDC ride ever taking place
Post automatically merged:

SDC's will never ever happen or many people will die

Jon77

It will happen eventually. But a lot longer it seems than what I had thought it would take.

Think it's going to take cars talking to each other for that to happen. And in order for that to happen a standard and/or regulation to make it standard be in place. Because we all know some dumb ass company like Apple will come along and want whatever they do to be proprietary because they are "special" (or greedy bastigas). And at some point can even make where cars can see cell phones so they can see people that are carrying them, which is almost everyone these days. And then that will open a whole new world of privacy concerns, etc, to be worked through.

Someday it'll happen. But the 5 years I thought before would see it I don't think now is going to be feasible.

I just forsee this becoming a major debate once the possibility of 100% autonomous cars on the road becomes a possibility.
Only for the baby boomers. And thankfully they are all dying off in the next 10-20 years. Millennials, which make up more than the boomers, I don't think will have an issue with SDCs. And us GenX, well, we don't matter as there aren't enough of us. But I'm in favor of SDC. I can't wait for the day when I'm like: "Lets go to LA for the weekend." We jump in our van after work Friday night, lay the seats back, get some sleep, wake up, and we are in LA!
[/QUOTE]
That was a great post the only thing I disagree about is greedy companies trying to make a profit.
Being in business is all about turning and sustaining a profit, unless you’re Uber then it’s all about burning money.
To be able to pay their employees a good salary with benefits and to be able to reward investors for taking the risk, is going to require profits.
All companies protect what they have invented and spent money on designIng.
AAPL 👍

Here is a recent article from The Street:

SDC‘s will be here one day, it’s hard to say how long, but it definitely will happen.
This article is a little bit tone-deaf, google already has cars driving around city streets with no drivers.
My new accord has very basic self driving capabilities already, and Tesla’s have had self driving capabilities for years now.
I knew a guy who in the early 90s who attempted to get me to invest in his payphone business.
Cell phones back then were the size of a small briefcase, and even the cutting edge ones where therudimentary bricks.
I am happy to say I did not invest with him but I can’t say that I saw the trend that was about to happen, I was still very young.

But looking back it’s easy to see the march of technology was not going to stop, and cell phones would be getting smaller and smaller and eventually it would just become part of a persons every day life.

Whenever I see a location where it’s obvious that a payphone has been ripped out, I always think how easily obviously societal altering trends can be discounted and entirely missed.

We already have the technology, though as imperfect at it is today, it already has arrived.
This writer is assuming that technology will be frozen where it is currently, and that absolutely no forward progress will be made.
Betting against technologically progress has always been a losing bet.
Timing is the unknown variable but the certainty of it happening is a sure bet .

Last edited:

uberdriverfornow

That was a great post the only thing I disagree about is greedy companies trying to make a profit.
Being in business is all about turning and sustaining a profit, unless you’re Uber then it’s all about burning money.
To be able to pay their employees a good salary with benefits and to be able to reward investors for taking the risk, is going to require profits.
AAPL 👍

SDC‘s will be here one day, it’s hard to say how long, but it definitely will happen.
This article is a little bit tone-deaf, google already has cars driving around city streets with no drivers.
My new accord has very basic self driving capabilities already, and Tesla’s have had self driving capabilities for years now.
I knew a guy who in the early 90s who attempted to get me to invest in his payphone business.
Cell phones back then were the size of a small briefcase, and even the cutting edge ones where therudimentary bricks.
I am happy to say I did not invest with him but I can’t say that I saw the trend that was about to happen, I was still very young.

But looking back it’s easy to see the march of technology was not going to stop, and cell phones would be getting smaller and smaller and eventually it would just become part of a persons every day life.

Whenever I see a location where it’s obvious that a payphone has been ripped out, I always think how easily obviously societal altering trends can be discounted and entirely missed.

We already have the technology, though as imperfect at it is today, it already has arrived.
This writer is assuming that technology will be frozen where it is currently, and that absolutely no forward progress will be made.
Timing is the unknown variable but the certainty of it happening is a sure bet .
Google has 0 cars on the streets with no drivers. 0.

And SDC's will never be driving people around with no human driver or people will die. It's physically impossible to have a car think just like a human with common sense.

Jon77

Google has 0 cars on the streets with no drivers. 0.

And SDC's will never be driving people around with no human driver or people will die. It's physically impossible to have a car think just like a human with common sense.
AC2BE02B-9171-4932-B64B-7989FDCC170E.jpeg

We will see this technology in our lifetime.
If it’s not today or tomorrow doesn’t matter, the writing is already on the wall.

uberdriverfornow

View attachment 366514

We will see this technology in our lifetime.
If it’s not today or tomorrow doesn’t matter, the writing is already on the wall.
Great, show us actual proof. Let's see actual video of actual rides taking place with no safety driver in the vehicle driving people around while still calling it an SDC ride.

I'll wait.

btw, SDC's were supposed to be here already. How is it that they are still "on the way" ?

Jon77

I do understand your point, SDC’s are a monumental technical puzzle to solve and get right, but risk does not exists in a vacuum.

If a person was to walk around downtown LA at night it could be considered statistically either very safe or very dangerous.
Compared to walking around Zürich Switzerland it would be deemed foolhardy and extremely dangerous.
But compared to walking around Johannesburg South Africa it would be considered extremely safe.

The biggest killer of humans on the road is by far other humans behind the wheel.
1,259,000 million people die worldwide every year from traffic accidents.
Just in the United States 33,000 people are killed every year, and over 2 million people are injured.

Those are the statistics that SDC’s are up against.
If SDC’s are dangerous, what are they dangerous compared to.
The army of soft fleshy homo sapiens drivers?

tmart

Only for the baby boomers. And thankfully they are all dying off in the next 10-20 years. Millennials, which make up more than the boomers, I don't think will have an issue with SDCs. And us GenX, well, we don't matter as there aren't enough of us. But I'm in favor of SDC. I can't wait for the day when I'm like: "Lets go to LA for the weekend." We jump in our van after work Friday night, lay the seats back, get some sleep, wake up, and we are in LA!
AAPL 👍

[/QUOTE]
Great, show us actual proof. Let's see actual video of actual rides taking place with no safety driver in the vehicle driving people around while still calling it an SDC ride.

I'll wait.

btw, SDC's were supposed to be here already. How is it that they are still "on the way" ?
People will not tolerate these on the roads slowing them down getting in their way not going to happen. Theyll be a revolt !

Grumpy Old Man

I remember when supersonic passenger flights were a fantasy, well they came and they went, no matter how advanced the technology, if nobody wants it, it will fail.
When did a man last walk on the moon?
I'm sure SDCs will happen but with limits.