Cou-ber

Last week on NPR, there was a report on how realistic it is to expect driverless cars in the next 20-30 years. Apparently, according to the Department of Transportation, 65% of US roads are too effed up to support the technology needed for this to happen. For Houston, I'd guess that number is significantly higher. Even if TK gets his dream, unless he funds a massive overhaul of that 65% ain't jack gonna happen.
bwahahahshahajanNn

Last edited:

Uber10k

Tinsel Toe Travis is a meathead. The day driverless cars show up we will all be long gone. How can this idiot be so smart to start fluber and make billions and be so dumb to think fluber will use driverless cars?

SafeT

They can't even make driverless trains and trains run on tracks. People who believe in driverless cars watch too much sci-fi while doing drugs. They start to believe the impossible like it's real. Like time travel, warp speed and driverless cars. Epic waste of money.

timberstx

How would they get these driverless cars to drive to the back of the apartment complex when they are too lazy to walk to the leasing office? And would these driverless cars that Uber would own pick up people during floods?

UberCadi

Take yourself back 10-20 years, and remember technology as it existed (or, more proper, didn't exist) and if someone was to show you all the technology that exists today. Would you truly believe it would happen? I know I wouldn't, and I'm an IT professional. I'm a huge doubter in driverless cars, but 10+ years away? I have few doubts that it wouldn't be possible, and will be reality. 20+ years? Not a doubt that it will exist. Half the high end cars have collision detection, auto cruise control, and lane departure detection (which actually steers for you and keeps you in your lane), and even auto parallel parking that requires no driver assist. I've driven these cars, and it's freaky. Many pieces of driverless technology ALREADY exist TODAY on vehicles you can purchase at a dealership. I'm leery on the whole safety idea of it, but having driven these vehicles that keep you in your lane and will auto brake to avoid a collision (or maintain speed with cruise control turned on), I have felt extremely safe. So, I think it's my skepticism that is keeping me reserved, but when I get in one of these cars, I'm amazed and have a completely different perspective.

Hackenstein

Last week on NPR, there was a report on how realistic it is to expect driverless cars in the next 20-30 years. Apparently, according to the Department of Transportation, 65% of US roads are too effed up to support the technology needed for this to happen. For Houston, I'd guess that number is significantly higher. Even if TK gets his dream, unless he funds a massive overhaul of that 65% ain't jack gonna happen.
bwahahahshahajanNn

Don't really know the facts, but one thing definitely is self driving cars would need to navigate 100% of roads. Getting stuck would not be an option.

Maybe they'd provide an emergency steering wheel for the passenger who knows.

It seems like big money gets whatever it wants though.

timberstx

Take yourself back 10-20 years, and remember technology as it existed (or, more proper, didn't exist) and if someone was to show you all the technology that exists today. Would you truly believe it would happen? I know I wouldn't, and I'm an IT professional. I'm a huge doubter in driverless cars, but 10+ years away? I have few doubts that it wouldn't be possible, and will be reality. 20+ years? Not a doubt that it will exist. Half the high end cars have collision detection, auto cruise control, and lane departure detection (which actually steers for you and keeps you in your lane), and even auto parallel parking that requires no driver assist. I've driven these cars, and it's freaky. Many pieces of driverless technology ALREADY exist TODAY on vehicles you can purchase at a dealership. I'm leery on the whole safety idea of it, but having driven these vehicles that keep you in your lane and will auto brake to avoid a collision (or maintain speed with cruise control turned on), I have felt extremely safe. So, I think it's my skepticism that is keeping me reserved, but when I get in one of these cars, I'm amazed and have a completely different perspective.
It could be a reality on a closed route. Eugene Oregon city bus that drives itself on one of these dedicated routes. You brought up the safety of the cars, I am with you on this. I avoid accidents everyday by being alert on what can happen before it happens. We all look around at the actions of cars and pedestrians around us, and lots of times we know what they are going to do before they do it. A driverless car will not be able to anticipate this.

ABC123DEF

Maybe they'll have a few driverless tow trucks to come and get the driverless cars when they break down in the middle of nowhere. Make the driverless tow truck connect to the car and everything. No need for humans to be a part of anything in life.

Fuzzyelvis

How would they get these driverless cars to drive to the back of the apartment complex when they are too lazy to walk to the leasing office? And would these driverless cars that Uber would own pick up people during floods?
Whoever owns the cars will shut down during a flood. Just like any other public transport.

Last edited:

SafeT

Maybe they'll have a few driverless tow trucks to come and get the driverless cars when they break down in the middle of nowhere. Make the driverless tow truck connect to the car and everything. No need for humans to be a part of anything in life.
Yes, and if they make the cars riderless as well, then it will be 100% Utopia.

krytenTX

The problem with Uber replacing drivers and their cars with driverless cars are:

(1) Uber will have to buy those cars
(2) Uber will have to pay for the gas for those cars
(3) Uber will have to pay for the insurance on those cars
(4) Uber will have to pay for maintenance on those cars
(5) Uber will have to pay for passenger damage to those cars
(6) Uber will have to clean up the puke and trash from those cars.

That's just 6 examples of things that Uber drivers now have to pay for that Uber does NOT.

Cou-ber

I don't doubt that they can and will exist but if more than half our roadways are too damaged to accommodate this technology then they have to be fixed and who will pay for this? The government. I am disgusted with Houston roads. I don't know if Mayor Parker put a freeze on road repairs but they seem significantly more crappy than ever. I've been here since 1991 and Richmond, for example, has NEVER been redone. Stupid Afton Oaks residents screwed up the rail that should have gone down there which would have been an instant upgrade to commutes and home values. Fricken idiots.

Another consideration is the auto industry. If the beer companies can keep Beer of the Month out of Texas surely Honda and GM and Chrysler can lobby against the advent of driverless cars. The auto industry will resist big time and that's a powerful collective.

There was a ride at Disney World in the 1970's (oh I am old) called Land of Tomorrow. It showed the future at home, at the work place, at retail shops. It had the barcode readers and self scanning at the super market (remember sticker prices and manually punching in groceries by the cashier one by one by one?) and microwaves. I was in awe every time. I'm not so in awe anymore with the possibilities since none of the advancements have made us any better as a species. We aren't more efficient, we aren't less violent or more social, we aren't more environmentally sensitive, we aren't better. Cooler stuff doesn't make us cooler people.

We basically suck. Travis is the King of Suck. Just ranting....

everythingsuber

The problem with Uber replacing drivers and their cars with driverless cars are:

(1) Uber will have to buy those cars
(2) Uber will have to pay for the gas for those cars
(3) Uber will have to pay for the insurance on those cars
(4) Uber will have to pay for maintenance on those cars
(5) Uber will have to pay for passenger damage to those cars
(6) Uber will have to clean up the puke and trash from those cars.

That's just 6 examples of things that Uber drivers now have to pay for that Uber does NOT.
They will be electric so not so much gas. The taxes to pay for road maintenance will be massively increased. As poor people won't have jobs Travis will be paying the taxes to cover costs there. Driverless cars are as likely as a world where the rich pay tax.

krytenTX

They will be electric so not so much gas. The taxes to pay for road maintenance will be massively increased. As poor people won't have jobs Travis will be paying the taxes to cover costs there. Driverless cars are as likely as a world where the rich pay tax.

OK. I can see #2 not having to use gas, but the driverless car will have to charge at some point. Not all charging stations are free, and eve if there was an Uber charging station, someone (Uber) will have to pay for the electricity.