• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Driverless cars are coming to Chicago, Illinois

UberLyftFlexWhatever

02/10/2019, 05:00am
A new Illinois state law went into effect that prevents local municipalities from banning autonomous cars. In Oct former Gov. Bruce Rauner signed an executive order directing the Illinois Department of Transportation to develop a program to test and plan for the arrival of automated vehicles.

“This technology is here, and Illinois is ready to embrace it,” Rauner said. Shortly afterward, the state launched Autonomous Illinois — a new testing program for connected and automated vehicles.

Lyft’s autonomous car program in Las Vegas has been fully functioning since May 2018.
In October, Ford Motor Company announced it would expand its autonomous testing program to Washington, D.C. , joining tests in Detroit, Miami and Pittsburgh.
Ford also is partnering with Domino’s to test self-driving pizza deliveries.
Cruise Automation, a self-driving start-up owned by General Motors, announced a similar partner- ship with food delivery service DoorDash.

goneubering

Why don’t we ever hear about Lyft’s SDC program in Vegas?

Waymo sure hasn’t impressed the drivers in Phoenix.

uberdriverfornow

If you really think that driverless cars will not happen than none of this should really matter to you. It seems that people are scared and lashing out more than anything else.
How is stating the fact that SDC's still do not work despite many articles over the years stating they would be working already characterized as "lashing out" ? lol

Unfortunately there are many bets on companies that never quite pan out.

Uberfunitis

How is stating the fact that SDC's still do not work despite many articles over the years stating they would be working already characterized as "lashing out" ? lol

Unfortunately there are many bets on companies that never quite pan out.

That is true and there are also many things that are present in our lives that was once science fiction.

Ssgcraig

Wow, Chicago has pedestrians that look before crossing roads, not head down glued to cell phone? Not running across a two lane road with a bike? No wildlife either? I hope it works.

iheartuber

If you really think that driverless cars will not happen than none of this should really matter to you. It seems that people are scared and lashing out more than anything else.
The arrogance of SDC supporters on this thread is annoying to say the least.

But don’t confuse that by thinking I’m as you say “scared and lashing out.”

Ssgcraig

Autonomous cars are coming, that's a fact. Whether we call them cars or something else by the time they get here is another story. If you told me in 1975 that we are going to have autonomous cars I would have laughed, but in 2019 with all the advancement in automobiles, it's a sure bet. When, that should be the discussion.

goneubering

Autonomous cars are coming, that's a fact. Whether we call them cars or something else by the time they get here is another story. If you told me in 1975 that we are going to have autonomous cars I would have laughed, but in 2019 with all the advancement in automobiles, it's a sure bet. When, that should be the discussion.
Cars are not the problem. It’s the SDC software.

iheartuber

Big difference between SDCs are coming “sometime” and coming “tomorrow”

Also big difference between SDCs being an Add-on (like leather seats) for a car you buy and all human driving being virtually wiped out.

I for one am not disputing the fact that someday SDC technology will be in some sort of level of use, I’m disputing that it will come as quickly and sweep so widely as is being reported on this thread

Ssgcraig

Big difference between SDCs are coming “sometime” and coming “tomorrow”

Also big difference between SDCs being an Add-on (like leather seats) for a car you buy and all human driving being virtually wiped out.

I for one am not disputing the fact that someday SDC technology will be in some sort of level of use, I’m disputing that it will come as quickly and sweep so widely as is being reported on this thread
So it's not tomorrow, it's definitely sometime. Time frame if I were a guessing man, 10 years. I think you will see it start in warmer climates first and will eventually make it to the colder ones. 5 years you will see them in warm climates, 10 years they will be everywhere. 15 years, the actual act of driving a car will be a thing of the past, like the rotary phone. How quick always depends on what? Money influence.

iheartuber

So it's not tomorrow, it's definitely sometime. Time frame if I were a guessing man, 10 years. I think you will see it start in warmer climates first and will eventually make it to the colder ones. 5 years you will see them in warm climates, 10 years they will be everywhere. 15 years, the actual act of driving a car will be a thing of the past, like the rotary phone. How quick always depends on what? Money influence.
The reason why it will be later rather than sooner is for a whole host of reasons from technology to human nature.

It is these very reasons that may mean it could never happen at all or if it does it will be so meaningless it may as well be the Apple Watch.

But... rather than split hairs I’ll just say it will happen “sometime”