• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Driver vs Driver Issues

mhhickma

I was picking up a couple in Redington Beach last night about 9:30 to go out. Gentleman walks to my car with an open alcohol container. I mentions to him that I can't drive around with a pax with an open container. He threw a temper tantrum and eventually got with with his wife and we proceeded without having the drink.

Here is the problem he said " I do this all the time and the other Uber drivers don't care"

He could be lying or he could be for real. So please if you are a driver allowing Booze in your car you make it hard on us who are doing thing legally and please stop. Driving with booze is not an uber policy its state law. I know getting a trip request is great but have some moral foundation please.

uberguru

next time....someone goes stupid on you about a state law..just say excuse for a second and hit rider do not charge button and leave...its not worth the hassle or the conversation that will ensue!

Chisox1125

I had a guy said "oh don't worry about it I'll take care of the ticket" I told him that's great, Uber isn't my livelihood or my full time job, but getting fired from my school bus job is. Either chug it, dump it or I cancel.

Fuzzyelvis

next time....someone goes stupid on you about a state law..just say excuse for a second and hit rider do not charge button and leave...its not worth the hassle or the conversation that will ensue!
No. Sit there with the window cracked and kill a little time arguing. Then tell them they need to cancel and call the driver that WILL take them as you won't. Sit half a block away. If they don't cancel cancel at 5 mins.

Fuzzyelvis

I was picking up a couple in Redington Beach last night about 9:30 to go out. Gentleman walks to my car with an open alcohol container. I mentions to him that I can't drive around with a pax with an open container. He threw a temper tantrum and eventually got with with his wife and we proceeded without having the drink.

Here is the problem he said " I do this all the time and the other Uber drivers don't care"

He could be lying or he could be for real. So please if you are a driver allowing Booze in your car you make it hard on us who are doing thing legally and please stop. Driving with booze is not an uber policy its state law. I know getting a trip request is great but have some moral foundation please.
Why do you care about the law? It's your car. Just tell them no eating or drinking in my car. I have collected numerous cancel fees from this and none have been reversed.

Personal choice -i have driven a lot of intoxicated people-so far no problems-one time i picked up a some clients and they all were arguing about something prior to embark-looked like some of them were gonna start break dance fighting-
So i got out and told them after my cigarette im going with or without them

mhhickma

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Open container for passengers is big brother controlling - who cares- limos allow alcohol-
Limos allow alcohol because there us a physical barrier between driver and pax. I believe. Either way it's not legal. Guy rated me 1 star because I wouldn't let him break the law. It must have taken a village to raise that idiot.

Limos allow alcohol because there us a physical barrier between driver and pax. I believe. Either way it's not legal. Guy rated me 1 star because I wouldn't let him break the law. It must have taken a village to raise that idiot.
Even more reason to cancel when you see these warning signs

Uberfood

As long as the pax is in the back seat, I don't think you'd actually get a ticket for open container. The statute makes it pretty clear that the passenger in possession of the drink is the one violating the law. There is also a provision that makes for-hire vehicles exempt from this law in general, but it only applies if you have a commercial license. But specific counties could have tougher regulations.

Check out Florida Statute 316.1936

I still wouldn't really recommend it though, unless you've got a high surge or something. Even with a cleaning fee, it's really not worth the headache if/when the pax spills. Cancel and move on.

iMakeTheMaps

As long as the pax is in the back seat, I don't think you'd actually get a ticket for open container. The statute makes it pretty clear that the passenger in possession of the drink is the one violating the law. There is also a provision that makes for-hire vehicles exempt from this law in general, but it only applies if you have a commercial license. But specific counties could have tougher regulations.

Check out Florida Statute 316.1936

I still wouldn't really recommend it though, unless you've got a high surge or something. Even with a cleaning fee, it's really not worth the headache if/when the pax spills. Cancel and move on.
I let them in with it if it's in a cup, and they sit in the back. No cans or bottles, and also only if they are not drunk yet. I assess every situation on it's own merits. If they are polite about it and ask, and it's in a cup, and they are not drunk... I let it go. If they are drunk already, or it's a can of beer, or they just hop in without asking if it's okay... I make them get rid of it. @@@@@@@ tax.

Go with whatever works for you, if it makes you uncomfortable, don't do it.