1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Driver self defense suggestions

Discussion in 'Brisbane' started by AvengingxxAngel, Nov 25, 2017.

1. When I get bored I usually nosey around on the U.S forums, a topic they raise often is driver self defense. Found this video, and thought it'd be a good topic to bring up for discussion.

tohunt4me likes this.
  2. I used to keep a box cutter in the door pocket with my torch just in case.
    Never had to use it for self defense, however it was useful for everyday purposes.

AvengingxxAngel and Golfer like this.
  3. Bandy

Bandy

Driving:
    UberX
    I have tasers concealed under the front passenger seat and three along the back seat.
    You can't be nonchalant about it...

4. Who is John Galt?

Who is John Galt? Author

Driving:
    UberX

Whoa......for a minute there I thought you said teasers.
    My mind went on a bit of magical mystery tour there for a bit. :eek:

5. *Sigh* and here's me thinking you guys could be serious for a minute lol.
    I've had a couple of irate people, one guy was wasted and aggressive, swearing his head off at one of the cars behind us, it all started because the Uber before me couldn't find him and his girlfriend then cancelled on them, that's what made him so angry apparently, I'll never do a late pick up from Surfers again, he was WAY over the top.
    The other one was a grouchy old man, rang me before I even got to him, growling me on the phone cause I was taking too long, I was on a trip when I got the request, after drop off I had to go through 2 sets of lights to get to him, he rang me at the 2nd set of lights "where are you? Grump grump grump" and then some, that's when I first started, if that happened now I would just cancel straight away.
    Other than that, everyone else has been pretty good. Have you guys ever had any bad experiences?

loinchop and Who is John Galt? like this.
  6. Bandy

Bandy

Driving:
    UberX
    Bad experience? My first time I was premature...:rolleyes:

7. OMG lol

Bandy likes this.
  8. prk

prk

I had a pickup once, the pax was supposed to be out the front of a pub, about 200 metres up the road , round the corner. so here's me sitting stopped at the traffic lights, when some guy opens the front passenger side door and jumps in the front seat next to me.
    he had seen me coming down the street and thought he'd walk down to meet me.
    it scared the bejesus out of me, I thought I was being car jacked. you think I didn't give him a few choice swear words! told him to gtfo.
    so my best self defence tip is to keep the car doors locked at all times. only unlock them when you have ID'ed your pax, and only then if they're in reasonable condition. a glass nail file might also be useful if you need to get stabby.

AvengingxxAngel likes this.
  9. This has happened to me also a few times. That reminds me of this free ride I gave a guy that begged me for a ride when I was sitting at the lights. Offered a cashy, I felt sorry for him so I agreed. On the way to his location he started talking about God and paying it forward that's when I realised I'd be giving this guy a free ride, lol. He spilled his life story, I did mention to him not to do this to any other Uber driver, I didn't really mind doing that for him though as when he got out of the car I noticed he had holes at the bottom of his shoes. I'd probably do it again for someone too, although the whole trip was a weird experience.

10. Bandy

Bandy

Driving:
    UberX
    [​IMG]
    or
    upload_2017-11-27_8-27-50.png

11. Your people's skills will set you free. The tongue is mightier than the sword. Most of the time. The other times fight for your life.

tohunt4me, AvengingxxAngel and Bandy like this.
  12. Bandy likes this.
  13. I have a metal bar in my door storage area. Used it once, not for Uber though... Road rage incident. A guy was right up my clacker so I touched the brakes & that set him off, tried cutting me off & tried side swiping me. So I pulled over very smartly to avoid a collision.

He pulled up in front of me & got out storming towards me, once he saw I was whacking a steel bar into my hand in anticipation of a physical threat he mouthed off a few more obscenities, got back in his car & drove off :)

14. Hugh G

Hugh G

• Why weren't your doors locked ?
    MY PROTOCOL
    • Wind down window
    • Confirm PAX ID
    • Open Doors if PAX ID verfied and in safe/legal pickup area
    • Else tell PAX to go to safe/legal pickup area
    • Any backchat, or refusal - drive away asap and cancel - write incident report to UBER

15. I used to wind down the window at pickup until the time I wound up the window on a pax's hand. He was so pissed off. Im lucky he didn't sue me.

AvengingxxAngel, Golfer and Bandy like this.
  16. Hugh G

Hugh G

That's how THING got his AVATAR !

17. Who is John Galt?

Who is John Galt? Author

Driving:
    UberX
    Birth or sex?

I was actually a post-mature baby. I'm not sure if that is even a word, but it should be. I just really liked the environment I was in, and didn't want to leave. A lot of these type of lifestyle outcomes or consequences are due, I think to prenatal nurturing and perhaps post-natal suckling or lack thereof. I believe as we remove ourselves further from the garden, from nature and the natural balance of boy needs girl / girl wants boy, we are going to have more of these situations as BandyBandy has graphically illustrated above.

Über cars armed to the teeth with the latest and greatest in the choice of firearms, to protect ourselves not only from those who ask for water, or a Macca's run but also those who through the incorrect pre and post-natal environment are just hankering for a bit of a high school massacre and expect their Über driver to supply the hardware. How things have changed. In a more innocent time, teenagers would get a favoured adult (sucker) to buy smokes or beer. Now, there is definitely a dark side. Rap music and rap response firearms.

I'm not sure if it was Rodney King or Martin Luther King or even B B King, but one of them said "Why can't we all just get along". Or was that Kamahl? Anyhow, if you can see my point :rolleyes: and would like to spread the luuuurve, please PM me. :)

s.

18. Lowestformofwit

Lowestformofwit

Driving:
    Livery
    Kamahl??
    Come on, GolferGolfer , here’s your cue!
    I know you’re there - “I hear your footsteps walking down the hallway in the middle of the night....”

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  19. Golfer

Golfer

It is nice to know that Mr Galt holds a true Aussie immigrant legend in high esteem ,
    And I felt there was know need for further comment from me, although he did seem to have a slight memory lapse, for which I excused him, given the heatwave conditions in Adelaide 38 today I think, dear dear quite warm
    I mean he did mention a few lesser identities , before he finally arrived at the originator of "peaceful meaning of life"
    I mean " I have a dream" pales in comparison to something as universal as
    " Why are people so unkind "
    And may I remind you all , this was years before John Lennon and the song Imagine
    I have always thought Kamahl, was the inspiration behind that song,
    But again the green green grass of home , may have influenced me a weed bit !!
    What was the post again!!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  20. Rodney King, ;)