• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Driver Safety: Panic Button

NoDay

Would you use a Bluetooth Panic button?

There are many options for driver(s) safety. We do experience situations that warrant calling 911, when there is no imminent danger. One of the most common things we run into is the drunkard, who admits they should not drive and still wants you to take them to their car.

A driver could press the button and have bluetooth call to 911 and discretely inform the operator of whats going on.

Example, "John, you said your car was at elm and main right? Are you sure you should drive, you felt it necessary to take an uber to from the bar. The police don't take too kind to that."

But would you actually want such a thing?

West81330

In some cities around the world (Johannesburg, for example) Uber is integrating panic buttons into the app. For riders and drivers.

yojimboguy

I don't think dialing 9-1-1 is too complex to do compared to hitting a panic button.

And "discretely" informing the 911 operator? That's idiotic. It would require teaching a new procedure to every 911 opetator in America. If you the driver don't reasonably respond to their questions, you're more likely to get busted than your pax.

JimKE

Im confused, you get ride request from people at a bar to take them to the parking lot to their car?
Probably to another club parking lot where they started the evening.

A drunk wanting a ride to their car is NOT a 9-1-1 call, and you'll be told that quickly and bluntly if you dial 9-1-1 for something like that. Non-emergency calls to 9-1-1 just clog the system and delay response to real emergencies where someone's life might be at risk.

Most emergency response centers have a non-emergency number you can call, and it's helpful to know that number. Here in Miami, it's 305-4-POLICE. Our Florida Highway Patrol also has a number to call to report hazardous driving. In Miami, it's *347. I've used that number to report drunk drivers on our expressways.

tradedate

That would be more of a nuisance than a benefit.

With all the uber drivers on the road, imagine how many misdials would happen every day, nationwide, even with just a small percentage of people tapping the button by mistake.

Johnydoo

That would be more of a nuisance than a benefit.

With all the uber drivers on the road, imagine how many misdials would happen every day, nationwide, even with just a small percentage of people tapping the button by mistake.
Yellow cabs have had them for a very long time. I hit the button by mistake one night, in less than a minute a police car blocked the intersection I was approaching, then two bike cops came from behind and asked if I was Ok.

At that point I still had no idea I hit the button, first time mistake no charge, any time after that driver pays $50, this was in 2005.

This instance was in Downtown on a Sat night, the second instance happened in the hood, which meant I was on my own, I had to drive in circles hoping to see a cop which I did after about 10 minutes, I could have been shot during those scarry 10 minutes...

Panic button works IF driver is in a populated area and cops are close by. I would use it and thought about coming up with one myself, whoever does will make a bank! I believe it will save lives.

Rakos

You know when that happens now...

Especially when you pick up barflys...

All you have to do if you want a policeman...

Is open the door and jump out...

And start doing your best impression...

Of Clyde the Orangutan...

From Every which way Butt loose...

flailing your arms around...

And Guaranteed a cop will show up...

Rakos

PS. At least that's what I would do...8)

Spotscat

Yellow cabs have had them for a very long time. I hit the button by mistake one night, in less than a minute a police car blocked the intersection I was approaching, then two bike cops came from behind and asked if I was Ok.

At that point I still had no idea I hit the button, first time mistake no charge, any time after that driver pays $50, this was in 2005.

This instance was in Downtown on a Sat night, the second instance happened in the hood, which meant I was on my own, I had to drive in circles hoping to see a cop which I did after about 10 minutes, I could have been shot during those scarry 10 minutes...

Panic button works IF driver is in a populated area and cops are close by. I would use it and thought about coming up with one myself, whoever does will make a bank! I believe it will save lives.
A buddy of mine drove an armored car for a major cash transport company in Massachusetts.

Contrary to popular belief, they do not have a panic button - they call 911 if there is an emergency. Also, they are not heavily armed - two guards with 9mm pistols is all the weaponry they have,

He used to tell me details of the vehicle and its operation until I made him stop - I was beginning to have evil thoughts. :smiles:

Last edited:

elronaldo

Got pepper spray but reluctant to use it to soil my own car. Never used it. Also got a taser; never used but once when I simply triggered it in its hiding place for the sound alone. Pax got real quiet - good trip after that.

elronaldo

I've never felt the need for a panic button. I guess when I need one I won't have one.
Before I stopped letting folks ride in front (clipboard on front seat now and seat belt 'is busted') a HUGE drunk gay Armenian guy grabbed my arm and squeezed HARD (to show off his strength, I guess) and said I was coming home with him at drop off point. Put a neck pinch on him and he quietly got out. That was before I had pepper spray/tazer. Was a PITA - unlike some very gracious women I have met, I have not learned the graces of turning away a hit with elegance...

Mars Troll Number 4

The cabs i rent have panic buttons...

After hitting it i get a phone call.

If i ignore the police come swarming.

If i pick up the phone and say "no" followed by talking out of context they will send the cops.

"Are you OK 1776? "

"No, we are out of Bacon Sweetie" and then hang up for example.

I've been told the secret to fast response is to not pick up the phone when you hit the button. The police will come swarming trying to be heroes that stopped an armed robbery.

NoDay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There are lots of bluetooth buttons out there. Here is one example from google. I have not researched it to see if it would work as a panic button. There are lots of dedicated panic buttons out there.

I don't know if I would get a panic button per say, but I thought it would be an interesting topic. There have been lots of opinions on this topic. I was not aware of taxis having one, that's different.

The button I would like to have is one to accept rides. I would place it on my armrest or steering wheel. This way I don't alert my pax to 'dangerous driving' by touching my phone when another ride is added mid route.

UberBastid

I have a panic button, it's a five pound pull on my Glock 17.

In my town it will take up to fifteen minutes to get a cop to you.
UNLESS you tell them you have a DUI in sight; now, that's good money for them. They'll be right there.
Or, you have a dozen fresh donuts.

NoDay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a panic button, it's a five pound pull on my Glock 17.

In my town it will take up to fifteen minutes to get a cop to you.
UNLESS you tell them you have a DUI in sight; now, that's good money for them. They'll be right there.
Or, you have a dozen fresh donuts.
Every time you call 911 do you say, "There is a drunk driving around he hit my car twice and is throwing krispy kreme out the window! Seriously hes gone through 10 dozen by now!"

Chauffeur_James

I use an app called SafeTrek, it's pretty cool, and costs about $2 a month, which isn't bad for piece of mind. They have a section where you can put details that they will relay to police. I have my car make, model, color and plate number. They track your location in real time, and you can even text them in an emergency where you may be able to text but not talk. Only thing they could improve on would be to actually have a physical button to push, but if something is starting to go south, you can open the app and press down. If you end up needing help you just release the button, and it will send the cops. If you can de-escalate the situation you can release the button and type in your password to cancel any response.