Driver Profile has arrived

Jack Malarkey

This morning, my driver app had a little surprise.

It heralded the arrival of my Driver Profile and invited me to customise it. Its purpose is to 'create a conversation starter by letting riders discover a little more about you'.

It includes my photo; my first and middle names; my rating to two decimal places; my total number of trips; and how long I have been with Uber (shown as one year in my case).

To customise my profile, I am invited to a answer the following:

(1) Which languages do you speak?

(2) Where did you grow up?

(3) Tell us a fun fact about yourself.

(4) What's your favourite Uber story to tell?

Then there's a heading 'Rider thank you notes'. They have selected five of the 5-star comments I have received from riders. I can deselect any of the comments. (They somehow managed to select the five most positive comments I have received.)

Finally, they have a heading 'Partner driver achievements'. In my case, they list '1,000 5-star trips' and '1 year with Uber'.

CBear

I'm looking forward to this. One of my favourite things is interacting with the passengers (although at times I am thankful for the passengers that want to sit in silence on their phones).

One frustration though is since signing on they have included my first and middle na!es together in the name they show drivers. I have had to get them to change it twice to just my first name, but it keeps resetting back to both of them. The last response I got from them is they would use just my first name as my nickname, and that if I wanted to not have my first and middle names locked together I needed to show a name change...

Jack Malarkey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm looking forward to this. One of my favourite things is interacting with the passengers (although at times I am thankful for the passengers that want to sit in silence on their phones).

One frustration though is since signing on they have included my first and middle na!es together in the name they show drivers. I have had to get them to change it twice to just my first name, but it keeps resetting back to both of them. The last response I got from them is they would use just my first name as my nickname, and that if I wanted to not have my first and middle names locked together I needed to show a name change...
Yes, they show my first and middle names. Passengers seem to assume my middle name (Gregory) is my surname and just use my first name. I'm happy enough with the situation.

Jack Malarkey

My first and middle names also appear on my rider app. I have had some Uber drivers work out from this that I too am an Uber driver without my needing to tell them.

Who is John Galt?

I find it interesting that Uber will quite happily provide all this information about their 'driver partners', however, for a driver to obtain any simple information about a rider from Uber, is harder than getting blood from a stone.

Driver Zero

Uber have a ton of information on you already. Are they promulgating that info to passengers? What's next? What's your favourite sporting team or takeaway food? Be wary about information privacy disclosure. You didn't sign up for a defacto Facebook profile that lets riders know a lot about you.

Jack Malarkey

Uber have a ton of information on you already. Are they promulgating that info to passengers? What's next? What's your favourite sporting team or takeaway food? Be wary about information privacy disclosure. You didn't sign up for a defacto Facebook profile that lets riders know a lot about you.
Yes, they advise the information is being shared with passengers.

Jack Malarkey

Is it compulsory to fill in the blanks?
Or can you opt out?
It's not compulsory to fill in the blanks. My sense, however, is that riders will still be advised of all the other information.

You can deselect the comments.

But there there is seemingly no way of opting out altogether. There also seems to be no way to remove the information about the total number of trips; the number of five-star trips (rounded); or the period with Uber (rounded).

I'll have to see whether I can persuade my old friend and near neighbour Kah Chere to order me on his passenger app for a short ride so I can see what the profile actually looks like on the passenger app.

Must be one of those things they doing as a randomized test. No sign of it on my app.
Yes, all the signs are that it's another randomised controlled trial.

Last edited:

Jack Malarkey

Must be one of those things they doing as a randomized test. No sign of it on my app.
I have noticed that no one else has made a post similar to mine on any Australian forum. A search of the term 'driver profile' has also brought up nothing similar from elsewhere.

This makes me wonder if only a very few drivers have been invited to have an expanded driver profile in the way I have.

Has anyone else received a similar invitation?

Namloot

no random selections here either Jack. where on the App is it located (just in case I missed something)

Kah Chere

It's not compulsory to fill in the blanks. My sense, however, is that riders will still be advised of all the other information.

You can deselect the comments.

But there there is seemingly no way of opting out altogether. There also seems to be no way to remove the information about the total number of trips; the number of five-star trips (rounded); or the period with Uber (rounded).

I'll have to see whether I can persuade my old friend and near neighbour Kah Chere to order me on his passenger app for a short ride so I can see what the profile actually looks like on the passenger app.

Yes, all the signs are that it's another randomised controlled trial.
I will order you on our way to the Uber lunch at Gingseng, Hellenic Club, Woden, noon Thursday.