Driver App Woes in Boulder

UBERMinivan

I'm new to Boulder (been driving in New Hampshire) and last night was my first night out in Boulder. The Driver App was killing me! Spinning, loading, searching constantly, even after a pickup. Anyone else have this problem? I'm using an iPhone and Verizon.

Urban Uber

I live in Boulder and drive in Boulder and have not had this same experience as you described.... i do lose contact with Uber server when in the canyons west of downtown.. up Canyon a few miles west of Broadway...

Daisey77

I'm new to Boulder (been driving in New Hampshire) and last night was my first night out in Boulder. The Driver App was killing me! Spinning, loading, searching constantly, even after a pickup. Anyone else have this problem? I'm using an iPhone and Verizon.
Have you reprogrammed your phone since you moved? I believe Verizon is #228 or 228#. It will connect your phone to the towers near you. I'm not exactly sure how it works. I just know when I had Verizon, whenever I moved, my service always seemed to be really patchy. Verizon would have me reprogram it to make sure it's reading off the closest Towers

UberDuff

I have similar issues on Verizon with my iPhone 6. It's isolated, but it does happen. I usually make sure all my unnecessary background apps are closed. Also find that rebooting the phone helps clear it up a bit.

mattadams

Yeah I have had it happen in boulder a few times... normally near pearl street, normally at "hot" times and likely when everyone in the world is on their phones and internet is just slowed down. I've had times where it won't let me accept rides coming in, or it'll let me accept then give me an error and the ride won't be tied to me anymore, yada yada. It's frustrating.
I had one ride where I accepted it, and it took a while for the maps to even tell me where it was... meanwhile the guy called, in a panic that he was late, yada yada... I had him give me the address manually, it was like 4 minutes away... he calls like two minutes later "it says you're still sitting in the same spot!"... dude, I'm almost right outside your house, chill, I told you the app is having issues. Then once I got to his house it had problems letting me start the trip, yada yada. We got it figured out and it ended up crediting me for the ride anyway, but frustrating when technology doesn't work like it's supposed to.

P.S. if you don't hate college kids yet... you will soon. LOL.

UberDez

Have you reprogrammed your phone since you moved? I believe Verizon is #228 or 228#. It will connect your phone to the towers near you. I'm not exactly sure how it works. I just know when I had Verizon, whenever I moved, my service always seemed to be really patchy. Verizon would have me reprogram it to make sure it's reading off the closest Towers

That doesn't actually do anything anymore that was a pre lte thing .

arrrghhh

That doesn't actually do anything anymore that was a pre lte thing .

It updates the PRL or preferred roaming list. Not really needed for LTE indeed, it's for old CDMA towers - which are mainly used for voice/text only anymore (although there are more carriers using VoLTE I think).

Frontier Guy

Regardless of how busy it is, I restart my phone before I sign in and every 2 hrs of driving, I've found lately I'm having fewer random problems. I have regular normal problems, like Uber's pop-up "Trouble entering destination" and Lyft syncing with GPS

UBERMinivan

Well, I guess it's not just me. I didn't have any problems Friday, but Saturday I got stuck on an "ending trip" for a loooooong time. And another instance when I was stuck on "starting trip". I never had this problem until Boulder. I guess I'll keep experimenting with workarounds and solutions.

Thanks for your comments everybody!

UBERMinivan

I'm on hold on Uber while Uber is reviewing my background check. So this week has been a LYFT only week. The coverage with the LYFT app has also been problematic. I'm always getting texts that I've lost my connection to LYFT and that I should move to another location to improve connectivity. Argghhhh....

Daisey77

So you started driving for Uber then they put you on hold to review your background? Weren't you driving in NH? Honestly, your phone might be the least of your worries . . .

Frontier Guy

I'm on hold on Uber while Uber is reviewing my background check. So this week has been a LYFT only week. The coverage with the LYFT app has also been problematic. I'm always getting texts that I've lost my connection to LYFT and that I should move to another location to improve connectivity. Argghhhh....

I get this message with Lyft from time to time. I find that if I restart my phone before every shift, and once during a shift that it resolves that issue, few months back I had to delete both Uber and Lyft and reinstall them because of glitching.

It updates the PRL or preferred roaming list. Not really needed for LTE indeed, it's for old CDMA towers - which are mainly used for voice/text only anymore (although there are more carriers using VoLTE I think).

Not in Colorado, but if you do any roaming, it's still a good idea to restart your phone and let it find itself. I'm in Wyoming and Nebraska a lot. At least twice a week I'm in Scottsbluff, Ne., my phone always gets "lost" when I turn off I-80 onto NE 71 heading to Scottsbluff, as soon as I cross Wildcat Hill, I restart my phone and let it find itself. Same thing on my way back to Denver, it always gets "lost" around Hillsdale, Wyo. There are a lot of CDMA towers still in operation in rural areas.

UBERMinivan

So you started driving for Uber then they put you on hold to review your background? Weren't you driving in NH? Honestly, your phone might be the least of your worries . . .
I’m not too worried. They did tell me at the Greenlight hub that they would have to run the specific Colorado background check on me and that would take me offline for several days. I was able to drive that same day. I guess I had a short grace period to drive in until the check was initiated.

Bphelps

Yeah I have had it happen in boulder a few times... normally near pearl street, normally at "hot" times and likely when everyone in the world is on their phones and internet is just slowed down. I've had times where it won't let me accept rides coming in, or it'll let me accept then give me an error and the ride won't be tied to me anymore, yada yada. It's frustrating.
I had one ride where I accepted it, and it took a while for the maps to even tell me where it was... meanwhile the guy called, in a panic that he was late, yada yada... I had him give me the address manually, it was like 4 minutes away... he calls like two minutes later "it says you're still sitting in the same spot!"... dude, I'm almost right outside your house, chill, I told you the app is having issues. Then once I got to his house it had problems letting me start the trip, yada yada. We got it figured out and it ended up crediting me for the ride anyway, but frustrating when technology doesn't work like it's supposed to.

P.S. if you don't hate college kids yet... you will soon. LOL.
That's why I quit driving in Boulder, too many app issues and out of control students. One called and reported my uber friend stating he was drunk and he was shut down for 3 days, because he made a comment they didn't like.

That's why I quit driving in Boulder, too many app issues and out of control students. One called and reported my uber friend stating he was drunk and he was shut down for 3 days, because he made a comment they didn't like.
Also was pulled over twice by Boulder police. Hated driving Boulder.

UBERMinivan

Finally back online with UBER. Unbeknownst to me, NY state had suspended my license after I moved to NH for lack of insurance (yeah, shouldn't have traded it for NH license right away) and that's what came back on my background check. A 5 minute phone call to NY cleared it up. Then just had notify Checkr. Checkr re-ran it then notified UBER, and now all is well again.

In the meantime I've been driving exclusively for LYFT. LYFT income was better than expected but I know I'll make more with UBER.

Also was pulled over twice by Boulder police. Hated driving Boulder.

I've been having better luck by disabling my wifi. When my phone links up with an x-finity hotspot it slows everything down. Going cellular only seems to be working.

I've been yelled at twice by the cops for stopping on single lane streets to pick up passengers. Actually, just one cop yelled and threatened to ticket me, but the other cop was nicer about it.

Daisey77

Finally back online with UBER. Unbeknownst to me, NY state had suspended my license after I moved to NH for lack of insurance (yeah, shouldn't have traded it for NH license right away) and that's what came back on my background check. A 5 minute phone call to NY cleared it up. Then just had notify Checkr. Checkr re-ran it then notified UBER, and now all is well again.

In the meantime I've been driving exclusively for LYFT. LYFT income was better than expected but I know I'll make more with UBER.
Yay that's awesome! I'm glad things worked out and you're back in business. Welcome to Colorado and those college kids are all yours:biggrin:

Daisey77

I've been having better luck by disabling my wifi. When my phone links up with an x-finity hotspot it slows everything down. Going cellular only seems to be working.

I've been yelled at twice by the cops for stopping on single lane streets to pick up passengers. Actually, just one cop yelled and threatened to ticket me, but the other cop was nicer about it.
Yeah WiFi well definitely cause you issues. So I'll always have that off when you're working. Some say Bluetooth interferes with it. My phone is Bluetooth through my car and I never had any issues but I don't know about others. Yeah as far as the cops go, we seem to be a little overwhelming for City and government officials here LOL best thing you can do is just be as driver courteous as possible

Ha! Thanks!

So far, the college kids have been OK. The only jerks have been the guys I pick up from the strip club at 2am. ;-)

Bwahahaha. Don't worry I got them covered LOL easy peasy

KevRyde

Speaking of Boulder, when trolling Boulder for DIA trips, does Uber's 45+ long trip notification typically show up on a request for a ride to DIA?

Urban Uber

YES... we recently sold our Longmont home, now relocated to Boulder. I turn on the app now at home in the mornings and pick up DIA trips on X and Select with the DF to DIA and the request comes in with the " long trip 45 min notification.